Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Chroma will never be tanky again: (UPDATED TO CONTAIN THE BEST BALANCING IDEAS IN THE FIRST POST)

DeadlyCreation

EDIT: the best ideas this thread has given us for rebalancing him:

1. give all elements some unique ability that stands out.

2. spectral scream:

fire could heal teammates when enemies are killed while being lit through spectral scream. (doesnt need to be killed by it)

electric could work kinda like volts 4 just smaller. in a way that the lightning strikes from one enemy to the next

poison could reduce the enemies armor

ice could leave a aoe on which enemies are slipping.

AND/OR

give spectral scream the ability to taunt enemies. giving chroma the ability to tank for his teammates. (this would also make chroma viable at defending objectives since enemies attack him instead of the objective.)

3. Elemental Ward:

similar effects to spectral screams elemental adjustment. just buff everything other than ice. (eg fire heals constantly teammates)

4. Vex Armor:

Return it to its old formula (ofc. with fixed dmg exploit) or buff the current values (because right now he is the worst tank and has even lower eHP than Oberon Prime). either keep it an aura or not. if you want to nerf the aura make it so the buff is getting split as soon as teammates are nearby. eg all teammates are closeby everyone has a fourth of the buff.

(if you consider making spectral scream taunting the enemy, i would highly recommend removing the aura. since if chroma tanks all the dmg for the team he is passivly buffing them)

another idea would be that chromas gives flat armor buffs. so every frame would benefit the same. yet these need to be really high otherwise it would be useless

5. Effigy:

and if you remove the aura from vex armor make his effigy be the buffing ability. make it castable on a teammate to give him the tankyness and the dmg buff. so chroma can buff weak teammates by sending his skin to the once who need it. making him more interactive! 

6. also another way to fix chromas tankyness would be giving him another ability that reduces the overall taken dmg. as a result vex armor could stay the exact same. so maybe using his ultimate could provide higher dmg reduction?

9. If staying the current formula and no ability changes intended: make chromas base armor atleast 800 to give him some tankyness back

10. maybe make chroma scaleable like octavia and nidus? what i mean by that is, that if chromas max buff cap would be removed he still wouldnt be overpowered (but vex armor has to be not recastable). as a result chromas strength would grow with the strength of the enemies but after his buffs runs out he is unprotected. so you have to manage your resources and be aware when the buff is running out. also that wouldnt make chroma overpowered for low level has his buffs wouldnt grow that high so even low level could still be a threat to him.

@[DE]Danielle @[DE]Rebecca @[DE]Stevehopefully some of these ideas might become reality

Old post:

everyone feels different about the DMG fix - BUT the one thing everyone agrees on is the armor nerf. Chroma was one of the best tanks in the game but now he is a feather in the wind.

Obviously everyone wants the tankyness back. It is the essential part of chroma that makes him so good.

BUT it will most likely not return and the reason for that is the change to an aura.

DE cant give us back the old tankyness as long as Chroma buffs the whole team... because... well every frame would become a undestructable chroma.

So as long DE is keeping Vex Armor an aura chroma will stay exactly the same.

He is a worse tank than rhino and even the buff is only on par. so literally no reason to run Chroma.

What do you think: should Chromas Vex Armor only share the DMG buff? should a small percentage of the armor buff be shared with teammates (so chroma stays the main tank)? would you remove the whole aura thing all at once?

Edited by DeadlyCreation

il y a 26 minutes, DeadlyCreation a dit :

What do you think: should Chromas Vex Armor only share the DMG buff? should a small percentage of the armor buff be shared with teammates (so chroma stays the main tank)? would you remove the whole aura thing all at once?

I think it's fine.

He didn't lose THAT MUCH tankyness and people are making a mess about not such a big issue.

Chroma was overkill, you didn't need to be that tanky in order to do anything.

2 minutes ago, -N7-Leonhart said:

In the patch, they only mentioned the changes to multiplication will affect the damage buff, and not the armor buff. You mean to say they also extend to the armor as well?

Yup chroma is basically gutted now. His only saving grace nerfed into the ground. He legit has 0 cc so how are you going to survive with paper thin armor now?

Edited by Dragazer

Just now, Dragazer said:

Yup chroma is basically gutted now. His only saving grace nerfed into the ground

So, for example if before I could put Steel Fiber to double the armor before being multiplied by Vex Armor, now the armor will be affected and then the extra value from Steel Fiber added on top?

Just now, -N7-Leonhart said:

So, for example if before I could put Steel Fiber to double the armor before being multiplied by Vex Armor, now the armor will be affected and then the extra value from Steel Fiber added on top?

Think of it this way vex armor and steel fiber only affect base armor now seperately, they no longer multiply with eachother. The same goes with other armor boosters like ice ward or arcane guardian.

Players that follow meta is just like the flow of a river. it can branch into many different paths. DE is snuffing out paths that get too big (massive exposure due to edidolon). chroma's fate was seal as soon as more people used him as a meta for something.The results of doing that will just make the other branched water streams bigger (people move to the next dmg soak frames hell Oberon could get nerfed). instead of singling out one branch they should help the rest and make even more branches for the flow of water to give people the creative freedom instead of just shutdown any frame that gets too big.

Also as you can see with the latest Ash changes DE ignored their entire feedback that was here and just went off a single reddit post. So posting here is probably a fruitless effort.

Edited by Wevi

vor 1 Minute schrieb Wevi:

Players that follow meta is just like the flow of a river. it can branch into many different paths. DE is snuffing out paths that get too big (massive exposure due to edidolon). chroma's fate was seal as soon as more people used him as a meta for something.The results of doing that will just make the other branched water streams bigger (people move to the next dmg soak frames hell Oberon could get nerfed). instead of singling out one branch they should help the rest and make even more branches for the flow of water to give people the creative freedom they wont and not just shutdown any frame that gets too big.

Also as you can see with the latest Ash changes DE ignored their entire feedback that was here and just went off a single reddit post. So posting here is probably a fruitless effort.

yes sure. that effects 100% of the dmg nerf. but why did they nerf the armor side? eidolons werent even a threat to begin with and you allways have a trin with u anyway.. 

Just now, Church002 said:

^ it was never meant to be multiplied. and Chroma was never supposed to be a better tank than Rhino. Soooo.....

but the aqusition between both frames is drastic so you should expect chroma to be better than rhino by default

4 minutes ago, Dragazer said:

Think of it this way vex armor and steel fiber only affect base armor now seperately, they no longer multiply with eachother. The same goes with other armor boosters like ice ward or arcane guardian.

I am pretty much a Chroma main for all means and purposes and indeed, it sure sounds like the effectiveness of the tank part is also halved or worse.

But you know, I can't take this seriously when the game is as easy as it is. With infinite tankyiness or not, the enemies as they are now are hardly a threat, especially since the weapons have been buffed all around. So until they make this game finally difficult, I won't feel like caring too much about nerfs to my immortality.

2 minutes ago, -N7-Leonhart said:

I am pretty much a Chroma main for all means and purposes and indeed, it sure sounds like the effectiveness of the tank part is also halved or worse.

But you know, I can't take this seriously when the game is as easy as it is. With infinite tankyiness or not, the enemies as they are now are hardly a threat, especially since the weapons have been buffed all around. So until they make this game finally difficult, I won't feel like caring too much about nerfs to my immortality.

Mind explaining to me what Chroma can do better than any other warframe? Because all I can think off atm is credit...

Don't get me wrong, I invest several forma on him, I just don't see any reason to use him.

5 minutes ago, Ninjamander said:

Mind explaining to me what Chroma can do better than any other warframe? Because all I can think off atm is credit...

Don't get me wrong, I invest several forma on him, I just don't see any reason to use him.

Basically a fusion of extreme damage and damage resistance, a perfect entity of sorts, when most of the others have to either choose one of the other, or a lesser amount of both. Chroma now sounds like a part of the latter, so basically the same niche as before but less godlike in a game that nothing can kill you if you are serious anyway.

Edited by -N7-Leonhart

vor 2 Minuten schrieb -N7-Leonhart:

Basically a fusion of extreme damage and damage resistance, a perfect entity of sorts, when most of the others have to either choose one of the other, or a lesser amount of both. Chroma now sounds like it part of the latter, so basically the same niche as before but less godlike in a game that nothing can kill you if you are serious anyway.

can understand that. that still wanted to have him beung dps and tank at once but without being op. but they did it too extreme. he is now just bad. rhino buffs and tanks more and is easier to get

13 minutes ago, Church002 said:

^ it was never meant to be multiplied. and Chroma was never supposed to be a better tank than Rhino. Soooo.....

Yes and multishot was originally supposed to consume extra ammo according to DE, should we nerf that too now?

Lol funny you mention rhino, when we have Mesa with her 95% dr shattershield that is effective against armor ignoring slash procs, literally immortal wukong,  Nidus with his insane regen and 90% dr cc ignoring link?

All of these completely outclass Chroma and Rhino in tankiness

Lol and did you forget? Rhino has a room wide radius stomp cc that completely shutsdown all enemy action and can be spammed, 

Chroma legit has nothing going for him now, no cc at all. 1 was worthless b4 and still is, 4 is a useless drain of energy still, vex armor just gutted to irrelevance. 

Just now, DeadlyCreation said:

can understand that. that still wanted to have him beung dps and tank at once but without being op. but they did it too extreme. he is now just bad. rhino buffs and tanks more and is easier to get

The Rhino tank can be easier (I need to test it to be sure), but the damage buff should still be higher on the Vex Armor. Even if it doesn't multiply to crazy amounts, it should still be at least 4x.

Also, they made it recastable, so it's not all black. With the new changes, I will have to adjust my build, so some room was made for other stuff, now that some of the old stuff are not longer effective.

chroma still has it s dmg multipliers for "big shots" with a sniper even if it s  a lil less now...this nerf...uhm i mean bugfix will change nothing about chroma meta for eidolon

though i see an issue with his armor now, maybe we lls oon see a base armor increase for chroma to fix this

1 hour ago, DeadlyCreation said:

He is a worse tank than rhino and even the buff is only on par. so literally no reason to run Chroma.

How exactly are you building Chroma because i still tank with him just fine. Patch still forced me to change my build but i got around the issue by giving him increased shields so that Vex Armor could convert more of it to armor in the first clash.

Edited by Hieracon

11 minutes ago, -N7-Leonhart said:

Basically a fusion of extreme damage and damage resistance, a perfect entity of sorts, when most of the others have to either choose one of the other, or a lesser amount of both. Chroma now sounds like a part of the latter, so basically the same niche as before but less godlike in a game that nothing can kill you if you are serious anyway.

Problem is now even rhino can provide this damage buff. The tankless part could be a bug, if not, Rhino Iron skin will simply outclass this in my opinion.