Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unairu, The Unyielding Mountain

Astinasha

Unairu has gone through some modifications and tweaks and overhauls. The overall consensus is negative but I think that's just because the mechanics of this school doesn't really play into the philosophy that the flavor text suggests. I think maybe mechanical tweak after tweak has lead to this school just being a collection of loosely related ideas that... don't really work well together.

In short, the philosophy has been forgotten along the way, if it was ever there, and I think that's a waste of potential. There are endless ideas for the mechanics of how this school could work, but I personally would rather focus on what it should work TOWARD.

They are the ones who hold the line when others fall or flee.
They are the ones who will only die when their charge is safe.
They are the mountain that will not bow to the howling wind.
They are the Earth, and when armies march and bombs fall, they will still stand, and even in defeat they are unconquered.

Following that line of thought just offers so many ideas, I think.

I definitely agree that Unairu sounded awesome with the description, and I picked it when I got the opportunity. But I was completely underwhelmed. Tricked by that blasted misleading description into picking up a bag a poo I was led to believe was a bag of gold. But in all seriousness, Unairu seems extremely underwhelming and uninspired. It does nothing in terms of enduring better than vazarin does, and none of its abilities are even in support of a fun or interesting gimmick. In terms of ideas to make it better, I have not explored enough of the updated system to see how everything fits (stupid Quills standing) to know what would be appropriate.

I was trying to avoid making suggestions as to what the skills *should* be. There's an uncounted plethora of that. I just really think that the way the subclass works doesn't hold true to the principal of the subclass. Nothing in it is about endurance or outlasting. The armor+ skills are as close as one gets.

Everything it provides, minus Unairu Wisp, helps you and your team outlast and survive the enemy:
You block the enemy from shooting you and redirect their damage with your void blast.
You remove armor and damage from the enemy with your dash.
You redirect aggro and reduce AoE damage (or occasional crossfire damage) with your void mode.
You boost your own armor and reflect damage with the passives.
You further boost your operator* armor while increasing the void blast range (meaning more bullet attractors) with the waybound passives.

You don't have to like the flavor of what it gives but it's definitely providing exactly what it's saying it is and is a very potent focus school once you invest in it. In the early stages it's nigh on useless, much like all of them are.

Edited by Chipputer
* forgot to put this word here originally

I actually think unairu is good. It makes the operator substantially more tanky, multiple ways to decrease enemy damage output on top of it, and multiple ways to increase damage.

Basically, you get in enemies faces, and are rewarded for it. Imo the only thing i dont think belongs is its void mode ability. But in fairness, void mode as a skill itself doesnt fit very well with the "unairu way"

3 hours ago, Astinasha said:

I was trying to avoid making suggestions as to what the skills *should* be. There's an uncounted plethora of that. I just really think that the way the subclass works doesn't hold true to the principal of the subclass. Nothing in it is about endurance or outlasting. The armor+ skills are as close as one gets.

I agree that if, like me, you picked Unairu based on its description, then the resultant abilities are throughly disappointing. Not in the sense that they don't work or are super ineffective (some of them anyway) but just how uninspired they are.

Personally I think DE should abandon the armour notion on Unairu and instead cast their eye in the direction of the other defensive options since I truly believe there is no way to balance the number in a way that matters at the level of content that a player with a maxed out Operator is playing against. The uselessness of Void Spines speaks for itself.

I could go into the other abilites but I kinda feel like it doesn't even matter at this point. I have a feeling that we are stuck with this school being the way it is for a very long time.

I think the flavor text of all schools are misleading. Naramon isn't as tactical as it sounds. Its actually a DPS melee school. Zenurik isn't as dominating as it sounds either. It feels more like a support school. Vazarine is the only one that sounds right but that school's seems like the better survivability school that Unairu's supposed to be. And when it comes to DPS, I think Naramon is better at it than Madurai.