Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Censorship Cutting Too Many Corners

Valthryn

So, I tried to name my new amp Gae Assail, a spear from celtic mythology, upon gilding it, and apparently this is profanity. Is it because it has the word &#! in it? Or because gae can be pronounced like gay (since it doesn't allow me to put accented characters to spell Gáe correctly)? Either way, it's a bit of a stretch to mark that as profanity.

Edited by Valthryn

Yep, just one of the things that they need to tweak but apparently won't.

Why is there even a toggleable profanity filter in the first place?

And while the game itself isn't rate M for language, usually there's a line for ratings saying "Online interactions are unrated".

Edited by Sean

This is the sad result of profanity filters.  As another user mentioned, I think they're good - but only when they're applied to a few topics like Rape, Sexism and Racism.  Simple swearing shouldn't be an issue.

But it gets even worse in a situation like yours.  Assassin, Assail, Assembly, Assuming, Assorted - the list only goes on to a couple hundred words.  All blocked because they contain the chain of letters "&#!." 

If DE is so hellbent on swearing, why don't they limit use of "&#!" when it has no other characters, and make exception when it clearly is a word.  I mean just read this post back now - the forums censors properly, but the game can't?

Why? The world may never know.  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

31 minutes ago, Valthryn said:

So, I tried to name my new amp Gae Assail, a spear from celtic mythology, upon gilding it, and apparently this is profanity. Is it because it has the word &#! in it? Or because gae can be pronounced like gay (since it doesn't allow me to put accented characters to spell Gáe correctly)? Either way, it's a bit of a stretch to mark that as profanity.

Gone is the world where common sense and in its place is Political Correctness.  I would've said to submit a ticket complaining about this form or arbitrary censorship, but given it's going to fall on deaf ears because people will whinge like there's no tomorrow that it's sexist/racist/whatever -- my only suggestion is to find another word.  

19 minutes ago, SergeantSunshine said:

There's a guy on reddit that named his Zaw Buttplug, so 

Reddit?  LOL..  He posted all of them here in the forums.  It was camp the names he has for all his Zaw creations.  

1 hour ago, Valthryn said:

Assail is causing the problem. I'm looking into this. 

9 minutes ago, (PS4)BURALEH said:

Simple swearing is an issue when you have your kids playing. Warframe is not only for you guys but for all so Yes some people mind what you say. And DE great 👍🏿 job ty

The game is rated M for Mature.

If immature kids are playing the game, then that's on the parents, and then there's the whole thing that online multiplayer is ALWAYS going to get weird at times, regardless of any censorship in place. Censorship usually only affects legitimate usage as anyone who actually means to do ill-intent will always be able to work around anything set in place.

Here's the full ESRB rating information on Warframe:

Content Descriptors: Violence, Blood and Gore
Other: Indicates possible exposure to unfiltered/uncensored user-generated content, including user-to-user interactions and media sharing via social media and networks

-- source: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=10000951&Title=Warframe

Edited by Sean

27 minutes ago, SPARTANXG117 said:

Yeah... I don't even know much German, and I already can tell that it's a doozy...

Had to translate the first part since I already know what the last part means (I learnt how to swear in german years ago) its an overused one I'll tell you that.

Its funny how the Profanity filter seems to only be set to English at times.

Edited by Nova73

18 minutes ago, (PS4)The_Verethragna said:

I'm sad that I couldn't name my 0.25 Attack Speed Zaw 'Molasses Prime'.

1 hour ago, Valthryn said:

So, I tried to name my new amp Gae Assail,

There are your problems.

Good thing that the profanitly filter is smart enough to understand context. /sarcasm

1 hour ago, [DE]Drew said:

Assail is causing the problem. I'm looking into this. 

While you're looking into it, might be worth pointing out/reminding that a lot of people have reported being unable to even name a Ballas zaw after its own part because of it being flagged as profanity.