Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[POE Concept] Mining 2.0

(PSN)LeBlingKing

I feel like the random generator with the mining system in Plains of Idle-On can be too much at times. You can mine 500 red spots on rocks across the plains and wind up getting 1 of something and 1000s of something else. As the mining system is one of the two biggest systems of resources (along with the fishing system) added to the Plains, I feel like we can do better.

Splitting the Land

Like how the lakes and other bodies of water spawn different types of fish, different sections of the land should spawn different types of ores. The map below is just an example. Each quadrant of the land spawns one ore and one gem. The left and right halves of the map spawn a different Eidolon Gem. 

vxwaSRj.png

Spoiler

Lower-Left:

Ore: Pyrol

Gem: Devar

Lower-Right:

Ore: Ferrite

Gem: Crimzian

Upper-Right:

Ore: Coprun

Gem: Veridos

Upper-Left:

Ore: Auron

Gem: Azurite

Left Half: Nyth // Right Half: Sentirum

Mining Alloys

According to Wikipedia, some alloys are naturally occurring. 

In caves, upon getting a Perfect mine on an ore, you have a 25% chance of being rewarded with an Alloy. The same applies for gems and their polished counterparts.

Eidolon Gems

When you have the Advanced Nosam Cutter equipped in your Gear, the blue mineral spots on the rocks have a 10% chance of being gold-colored, indicating that an Eidolon Gem is located at that spot.

Well, an idea would be to mirror Fishing in that different cutters have better yields or easier use vs. a particular type of deposit.  Also like Fishing and expanding on your zone idea, it would be nice if we had some way of controlling the RNG, both in intuitive locations and item use.  For example, dig sites and caves should have higher chance and higher tier deposits than elsewhere.  This makes sense in that such sites are also crawling with Grineer, a classic case of risk vs reward.

In the case of item use, have BP gear item that temporarily upgrades the cutter's detector to give more details about the nearby deposit, not just distance.  Perhaps even improve the duration of the cutter pattern.  Or a BP survey tool that filters the cutter scanner to detect only a specific deposit type or yield quality.

I also don't like how Mining is largely a solitary activity.  It would be nice if deposits could be tagged like Argon, Synth, Data Scans and the like, so that a team clearing a Grineer base can take turns mining a nearby deposit between Bounties.

For the lulz, it might be fun to introduce a mineral whose deposit does Radiation damage to players mining it (Radiation Hazard zone) and has a half-life similar to Argon Crystal.

Of course that would also mean that the Mining UI would need to work the same way as the Fishing UI, in order to handle the additional items needed.

Edited by Bankstercide