Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee combos

Gnohme

I really enjoy the flow of the melee combat in this game but I feel like each stance could do with just a couple more combos. While the one-button system works well enough, I couldn't help but notice that there was one or two combos that utilize holding the block button, but these were few and far between. And then it occurred to me that there's also an unused alternate fire button used only in certain primaries, and a reload key that is definitely not being used when your melee is equipped. All I'm saying is - why not utilize these free keys? We could have a much more layered melee system than we have now. I'm not complaining, mind you, I like the current system - but I could see it expanding to be even more satisfying. 

Stances need some love, especialy old ones, but with the current spin-2-win bs that people abuse, few players would use those new combos, just like almost nobody use the combo we have atm. 

Gotta get rid of the cheese first, otherwise people won't pay attention to the new combos and the last thing we want is DE keeping this spin-2-win and make the combos just as op. That would be the worst way to get the spammers give a crap about combos. 

vor 21 Stunden schrieb MealeaYing:

I dont know what spin-2-win is, but I use the combo stuff in stances all the time, poorly, but thats because Im not great at this stuff. But still, I think its awesome when I get them right.

The input system isn`t very good, it breaks easily if you add attack speed, it ignores inputs if you don`t pause in between and simply repeats the last combo you did. Charge attack often gets in the way of "hold" combos. "Pause"-combos are always somewhat difficult to do reliably. 

The melee combos system should have been improved along time ago, it`s no wonder the majority resolved to spin2win and lunatic attack speed. 

Just look on youtube for some videos about Atterax, Scoliac etc. you should get an idea what spin2win meta is about. 

Alt fire shouldnt be used for melee at all so that it and channeling can use the same keybind (which currently isnt the case for whatever reason/alt fire keybind overwrites channeling keybind when in melee).

Also as:

4 hours ago, AcceptYourDeath said:

The input system isn`t very good, it breaks easily if you add attack speed, it ignores inputs if you don`t pause in between and simply repeats the last combo you did. Charge attack often gets in the way of "hold" combos. "Pause"-combos are always somewhat difficult to do reliably.

stated, pause combos are clunky to use with variable attack speeds (and worse, variable pause timer, e.g. you can use the 2 attacks on whip Burning Wasp with a decent amount of time to position for the 2 sweeps and also can be done decently fast enough to not just turn into normal attack chain when trying to do it quickly, but on e.g. Tranquil Cleave, Flailing Branch, Defiled Snapdragon, etc the game randomly decides if it will do the pause combo or the normal attack chain once you hit over 1.5 attack speed.

Charge combos are also a bit buggy (with Hysteria/Valkyrs claws charge combo not working at all right now), but on GOOD stances, they are designed to be a replacement for the standard charge attacks (as in you can hold the button and it will do attack>charge attack). Tho in my opinion charge attacks should just be reworked to reward mixing them into moves as "final attacks" that drain hitcount for bonus damage/be a MGRR Jetstream Sam DLC style of thing, but thats just me.

Stances in general have the problem of 1-2 attacks being vastly superior to everything else in the stance and inability to keybind every move by preference (Seismic Palm stance being the prime example, the forward combo pushes you WAY too much to be useful when actually moving with such a short range weapon compared to the normal attack chain, but you wouldnt use either at all since the block combo has a built in finisher). Similar thing with Twirling Spire where one would want to repeatedly use slam attacks with a polearm like the Sydon or Serro while moving (or most polearms in general at higher level), but functionally cant without defeating the reason why you would do it so one just uses the block combo, thus fastest animation max reach attack (being the slide attack) is used (or Shimmering Blight quick attack for lesion to get highest hitcount of procs since the 3rd attack of the normal/melee active attack animation locks you which is terrible).

TLDR: Animation locking should be on single target or slam attack combos with momentum, most stances need a rework to increase how effective they are at their intended use and the players should be able to decide/select which keybind combo activates which stance.

on PC more combos and whatnot would easily be possible but warframe is also available on consoles. i would absolutely love more depth for melee and also some improvements on channel and the current combos, especially older/outdated ones. though the question at hand is if that would work with the console versions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 1:15 PM, AcceptYourDeath said:

The melee combos system should have been improved along time ago, it`s no wonder the majority resolved to spin2win and lunatic attack speed. 

Just look on youtube for some videos about Atterax, Scoliac etc. you should get an idea what spin2win meta is about. 

Thank you! 

Do have to point out the new polearm stance that they released with PoE, it's combo's are do-able, but the stance actually slows your weapon a whole lot and feels generally bad when you compare it to the faster older polearm stances. I really think that what we need are the existing combos to be looked at and have their buttons changed to maybe a two button system rather than a one button system. At least that way all the combos on a stance will be doable with for example : a, a, b,b,a. or b,b,a,b,a  etc. rather than blocks and holds which break your flow. 

Once that's done i'm sure some of the lesser used weapons with actually awesome combos will get more use. Like the venka, or staves etc. 

The combo system would benefit IMO from a second melee attack button...so you can actually combo...but as I've been told the way warframe is designed doesn't allow for that and it would be a huge undertaking to change it to that. Maybe instead have Channelling access different combo chains?