Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game disappearing from Steam library | How to Fix

StrangeLettuce

Question

Uh, since my Steam kept removing WF from my library, I'll just make this thread in case someone else would need it.

If your game disappears from the library even though the store says its already in there, and hitting the 'Play' button asks you for confirmation to install it, don't.

To fix this without re-downloading, close steam first, then you'll need to edit your WF's appmanifest file named "appmanifest_230410" at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps. Open it with notepad then paste the following:
(Note: Don't forget replacing the "LastOwner" with your steamid64, you can get that in https://steamidfinder.com by pasting your steam profile URL in there.)

"AppState"
{
    "appid"        "230410"
    "Universe"        "1"
    "name"        "Warframe"
    "StateFlags"        "4"
    "installdir"        "Warframe"
    "LastUpdated"        "1513645168"
    "UpdateResult"        "0"
    "SizeOnDisk"        "23034406406"
    "buildid"        "2362179"
    "LastOwner"        "<replace with your steamid64>"
    "BytesToDownload"        "0"
    "BytesDownloaded"        "0"
    "AutoUpdateBehavior"        "0"
    "AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning"        "0"
    "UserConfig"
    {
        "language"        "english"
    }
    "InstalledDepots"
    {
        "230411"
        {
            "manifest"        "5301169201249491747"
        }
    }
    "MountedDepots"
    {
        "230411"        "5301169201249491747"
    }
    "InstallScripts"
    {
        "230411"        "installscript.vdf"
    }
}

So, based on my experience, Warframe will disappear from your library if you force shut down (holding down the power button or unplugging the power) your PC with Warframe still running. Each installed game has its own appmanifest file, and apparently, WF's would magically go blank so you have to put those text up there to restore it back to your library.

(Sorry with bad english, if I had.)

Thanks a lot for this. I usually find this problem happens to me after I close the game then immediately shut off my PC. However, it just happened after I closed a different game and immediately launched Warframe. I guess that also causes the problem. 

Anyways, I did exactly what you said and it worked. It did take a computer restart after updating the manifest for it to register it though. 

Once again, thanks a lot.

On 2018-07-11 at 5:08 PM, InfernoSquid said:

guys please help i found appmanifest files but not with the number you specified in the solutions any ideas?

It's possible that you haven't really installed it on steam yet, since it is created after your first time installing it. Although, you can try making one by copying one of the appmanifest file then rename and edit it.

4 hours ago, Shadqwr said:

Hi.I found the appmanifest file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps. I copy and pasted the stuff you put up and replaced the "replace steamid64 here". I saved it. I tried saving it as a ANSI file, but it keeps coming back to the .txt file. It didn't work, when I went back to the steam library... Did i do something wrong? Help is needed.

Thanks!

Uh, can you elaborate on how or when does "it keeps coming back to the .txt file"? And just in case things aren't clear, "ANSI" isn't a file extension/type, it's just the encoding type of the .txt file.

Far as I know, you're supposed to edit the existing appmanifest file (appmanifest_230410.acf) and just 'Save' it with Ctrl+S on notepad.
(If you're asking for how do you make file extensions appear on the names and be editable by renaming. Just search it on Google since I'm not really familiar on how it is done in other OS's)

Hi.I found the appmanifest file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps. I copy and pasted the stuff you put up and replaced the "replace steamid64 here". I saved it. I tried saving it as a ANSI file, but it keeps coming back to the .txt file. It didn't work, when I went back to the steam library... Did i do something wrong? Help is needed.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, peachypuff said:

hello. i've previously tried the solution that you had provided and it worked (thank you for that) but steam had uninstalled warframe again. i tried the same thing as before but now i'm getting an error telling me 'This file contains characters in Unicode format which will be lost if you save this file as an ANSI encoded text file.' and i'm not sure what to save it as 

Save it as ANSI and set the file type into "All files". And make sure the file extension is .acf

I'm guessing the file turns into Unicode once it gets corrupted, since I remember having that as well long time ago.
If it turns out I'm wrong, then just reopen the file, save it as Unicode.

hello. i've previously tried the solution that you had provided and it worked (thank you for that) but steam had uninstalled warframe again. i tried the same thing as before but now i'm getting an error telling me 'This file contains characters in Unicode format which will be lost if you save this file as an ANSI encoded text file.' and i'm not sure what to save it as 

On 2018-06-18 at 1:00 PM, JetGaming107 said:

What do I do if I don't have the app manifest for it?

I'm not sure if this would work but try to rename a .txt file into "appmanifest_230410.acf" then proceed putting in the text above.

If that doesn't work, try to copy an .acf file in the steamapps folder then do the same thing.

44 minutes ago, midtarget said:

I am aware of that, but I'm fairly certain lots of laptop players are always questioning why Warframe disappears, a smart person solves the problem, a wise one avoids it.

That's true, and would be helpful if the original post were about "How to stop this from happening". Since it wasn't however...not so much.

On February 18, 2018 at 10:09 PM, RunedFrame said:

Well, you know, power outages and things like that DO happen, so this is useful information.

I am aware of that, but I'm fairly certain lots of laptop players are always questioning why Warframe disappears, a smart person solves the problem, a wise one avoids it.

Archived