Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rework self damage?

DoomsDayFortress

Well most of you know what this is going to be about

The new self damage system with any explosive weapon is amazingly bad and I'd love to see it reworked.

Tonkor and Kulstar were one of my favorite weapons in the game but now they are barely used anymore because you kill yourself in 1 or 2 shots.
I know people will say "Be careful or git gud". I know but does take the fun out of the weapons to worry about every single shot.

Please change the self damage system to something bearable
My idea: Getting hit with your own explosive deals 10% of your current hp as damage (including shields)
So if a starter frame with 150 health and shields (300 total) hits himself it would deal 30 damage, this would also scales so if he has 270 health he would deal 27 self damage and so on.
Inaros with a 6820 health build would deal 682 damage to himself etc.
This would of course never be able to kill you but it does still bring you in considerable danger if you keep damaging yourself. 
As an added feature the weapon could also deal 5% hp damage to allies so everyone takes damage (logical) but it's not enough to make someone flame for killing you (since you can't)

This is just an idea which would make the weapons usable again and also fun to use.

I'd love some feedback on this idea and maybe DE even sees this

Ps: I might have butchered some english but it's not my native language so sorry in advance 

Yeah, at least 50%, if not the same current system but minimum hp left at 2. Current system makes you really worry about those medium range shots, and very cautious about long range ones. It's more than realistic to worry about each shot when they hit like a truck and do AoE (which is by far the most inherently strong setup in a game which features hordes of enemies), but honest mistakes shouldn't cause instant failure.

Edited by TeCoolTenno

5 hours ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

It would have to be significantly more than 10% I'd say at LEAST 60%. I agree that explosive weapons need to have self damage changed but it still needs to pose a massive risk if you screw up.

I would take this further and say 70%... But specify that taking additional self-damage within 5s overrides the cap and allows full suicide.

This makes it so that screwing up occasionally is dangerous yet doesn't spell certain death, while simple recklessness can be fatal.

Tbh i find it as fine as it is now, otherwise could be abused in panic situations, and atm it does take skills but its rewarding.
However, what i find really annoying is how the explosives triggers on allies, infact most of the times i get downed by my explosives, its due to some maniac player that decides to zigzag infront of me while im deploying the load.

If the damage is percentile based on current health, then you posit that somehow the explosive payload has a completely different strength based on your health, dynamically depending on how much you have at the time (since current), yet still has the same payload in terms of actual damaging output.

That makes no sense.

Also, since it can never actually kill you, even dealing a siginifcant portion of your current HP in damage is not exactly much of a disincentive to blowing yourself up old Tonkor style. Doesn't matter, if the enemies all die at the same time, right?

Self-damage needs its scaling throttled down (preferably non-linearly, otherwise the problem simply happens at a flat x% higher threshold) but not like this.

For some people there's fun to be found in the risk of blowing up your own face... it just needs to happen less easily. For those who don't like that, there are plenty of non-harmful AOE weapons you could use instead.