Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Beam Weapons Revisited!

[DE]Rebecca

1 minute ago, Karmaworks said:

It does. Just look at the Ammo consumption rate. It's the same as a beam weapon. Not to mention its range is limited as well.

Just now, TARINunit9 said:

If the Ignis is coded as a beam weaopn, the Panthera's alt-fire is definitely using beam weapon code too

Still not a beam weapon, though.

1 minute ago, TARINunit9 said:

Are you talking lore or damage code? Because if the latter, you're quite evidently wrong

Sure, let's go with "lore". It shoots sawblades. That's its primary mode of fire. The alt-fire could dispense icecream for all I care, doesn't mean I'd consider it an icecream dispenser.

So sorry, but Panthera's not really a beam weapon.

1 minute ago, AprilMoon said:

the battery ammo system is super clunky. I'd just rather reload.

I wouldn't mind having a "channeling" system to reload battery type weapons faster/instantly. I mean, they are batteries that recharge and we're using energy. Kinda writes itself.

1 minute ago, Vargras said:

Still not a beam weapon, though.

1 minute ago, TARINunit9 said:

Are you talking lore or damage code? Because if the latter, you're quite evidently wrong

Ok. I'm gonna explain it mechanically. Beams are hitscan weapons and a "hitscan" is a raycast/tracer that is fired from a point and it travels instantly to the direction (in that case, at the crosshair). The tracer was mentioned in Rebb's post. Basically it will check if the tracer collides with anything. If weapon has punchthrough, it will overlap instead of stopping until the punchtrough is done for. Basically, any hitscan weapons (including Soma, Lex, etc) behaves the same as beam weapons, EXCEPT for the ammo consumtion. Normal hitscan weapons uses 1 ammo per bullet fired, while beam weapons can vary (it seems to be 0.5 for most if not all from the post). Google/Youtube "Raycast/Tracer Explanation" and you should get examples.

Just now, Karmaworks said:

Ok. I'm gonna explain it mechanically. Beams are hitscan weapons and a "hitscan" is a raycast/tracer that is fired from a point and it travels instantly to the direction (in that case, at the crosshair). The tracer was mentioned in Rebb's post. Basically it will check if the tracer collides with anything. If weapon has punchthrough, it will overlap instead of stopping until the punchtrough is done for. Basically, any hitscan weapons (including Soma, Lex, etc) behaves the same as beam weapons, EXCEPT for the ammo consumtion. Normal hitscan weapons uses 1 ammo per bullet fired, while beam weapons can vary (it seems to be 0.5 for most if not all from the post). Google/Youtube "Raycast/Tracer Explanation" and you should get examples.

I'm fully aware of how they work.

I'm just saying that Panthera's not a beam, is all.

Why nerf Amprex... 

As an Amprex user since the day it came out, it always had trouble hitting enemies because of the tiny range it has. Why nerf the thing it struggles in? Dont get me wrong, the damage buff is nice, but why nerf it so that it performs worse for whats its supposed to do? ie clearing enemies / being a CC gun. The crit and range nerfs are uncalled for.

13 minutes ago, SporkMaster5000 said:

I am super dubious about the synapse and amprex's massive drop in crit chance.  Their whole gimmick was being all crits all the time.  I'm willing to give the rework a try but I do not have high hopes.  Also why is the synapse becoming corrosive?  I'm not against it, but that's an odd overhaul.

In the case of the synapse, there's also that massive buff to the crit multiplier. All else being the same, (.5 * 2) < (.39 * 2.7)

So the stat changes we will have to see in game but I'm interested in the damage type and distribution changes. Flux Rifle is now more puncture based, spectra is more slash based, synapse is now a corrosive weapon, and the cycron is... radiation and physical? these kind of changes probably need a little context, cycron especially. Will it still have the guaranteed fire proc?

1 minute ago, H8RAID said:

How do we calculate damage for these weapons now?  Are beam weapons now the same as the rest of the weapons in game less the one-ish second ramp up time?

My guess is that they are the same as full auto hitscan weapons like Soma. The ammo consumption may be .5 per tick as well, if I got it right.

nice amprex really needed a nerf as the only potent beam weapon.(no, i didnt). excuse me but where is the rework in this? status is still bad, ammo economy is better and now they cant be built neither status or crit since status is bad and crit got nerfed.... couldnt be more disappointed. and that delay to wait almost a whole second to get 100% dmg... what is that?

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Primaries

Ignis Wraith

27m Range

0.15m beam thickness expanding to 3m at end point

So the Ignis and IgnisW are actually going to have cone-shaped hitboxes instead of the wonky "spherical-AoE-at-the-end-of-a-beam" mechanic they have now? Sounds good to me!

But having a 3m radius at the end of a nearly 30m beam (compared to the current 5m radius, at the end of any beam length) seems awfully narrow for a flamethrower. Are we going to be able to expand this with Firestorm?

Archived