Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Beam Weapons Revisited!

[DE]Rebecca

1 minute ago, DecadeX said:

In the block of text before all the weapon changes, Rebecca talks about how they plan on making beam weapons act more how they used to before they were nerfed to reduce lag. Back then status/sec didn't exist and they got procs all the time. For the record she did also say that there has been enough optimization since then that they aren't worried about it lagging out PCs anymore.

That does sound promising, i wish there was more clarification or a devstream to show the changes

2 minutes ago, sixmille said:

Honestly I don't see them becoming any better with such marginal buffs. What beam weapons need is a complete functionality overhaul, because right now it's just not working well within the game's environment. The status per second thing really kills them. Then doubling ammo capacity isn't going to change anything, most weapons go through bullets much faster than that, and due to the overall low dps, they need a lot more fire to kill stuff.

All I see this doing is bringing beam weapons to the level of the soma (prime), and no one is using it (at least successfully) in any sort of endgame content past lvl 40. So, meh.

They said in the block of text above the stat changes that that mechanical change is happening. I need you to read my dude.

The Synapse will be one mastery rank higher than the Amprex and is portrayed as single target DPS vs the Amprex being better group DPS. These notes seem to trash that. While having shorter range and a single element damage type, the Amprex will still have higher damage when crits are factored in and that's ignoring the chaining that occurs.

Just looking at it on paper, I'm hard pressed to find a reason to pick up the lesser used weapon over the godtier meta-weapon and since the base beam changes will impact both equally I don't have very high hopes as is.

Can the Synapse be improved further please?

EDIT: I've overlooked that the amprex is having its fire rate massively reduced. I am okay with this.

Welp- I'm concerned about the Amprex crit nerf, albeit I see the other stat buff. Part of what I loved about the amprex, even as a newer player when I got it was that the orange crits "felt" good; and now as someone with a dual crit riven for it- seeing the red crits feel amazing, although it can't kill much on the higher levels. If possible- I'd love to see the crit nerf changed to something like 40-45% for the synapse and angstrum so even newer players can get them to orange crit. Just my two cents here.

Edit- and what's with the range nerf on the Amprex? If I'm remembering right- the Amprex shot upto 20ish m; I expected a buff on this end as beam weapons are unviable on the plains and even most maps because it can't hit things beyond a certain point; having ruinous extension was a must on the amprex- but now, it seems like it's going the way of Serration where it becomes a core component of its builds.

6 minutes ago, DecadeX said:

It's guaranteed Cold, and it's supposed to only do Cold. It is explictly intended to do nothing else well, and that's why it was removed from the Riven drop poll. Also it doesn't just proc cold it keeps cold indefinitely as long as it's on an enemy.

It's a forced cold proc, meaning you can change the damage type and the proc will still occur, independent of the status chance though still affected by status duration mods.  That means you can run viral and it will occasionally proc both viral and cold from the same hit, just like hunter munitions can force a crit corrosive proc to also proc slash.

Saying it should only do that one job doesn't mean you can't make it better at doing that one job.  You could make it proc cold on enemies who are farther away, or on more enemies at once. You could even give it a chance to do another job really poorly on occasion.  Either way, the weapon will still be limited by its base stats, which are garbage.  Putting a riven on it isn't going to turn it into an automated Synapse that flies around your head murdering everything around you.  Eliminating it from the riven pool on the basis that "it's not supposed to deal damage" just tells everyone that whoever made that decision or supports it has no clue how rivens work or what they're actually able to do for weapons.

Ignis Wraith without innate punch-through? You guys out to nerf everything fire related or something? At least boost its other stats to be on the same mr has the Amprex. Has it stands I see no reason to use it over the amprex.

Honestly the range nerfs are going to hurt a lot across the weapon type more than anything else.

Glaxion from a glance loses ~6% DPS but gains some amount of ammo efficiency.

Amprex gets a +92% base damage per second after accounting for fire rate reduction, but loses 4 meters range. For a chaining beam weapon range is everything.

The Quanta weapons get between 9% and 40% increased DPS on primary fire but enormous reductions to ammo efficiency.

Both Ignis weapons take enormous range reductions... though the Ignis Wraith enters the territory of being actually better built as crit.

If you're reworking all the weapons, why don't you rework ammo drops?

If not remove them completely in favor of unlimited ammo (for simplicity and performance sake)
then at least make it so it's percentage based.
20 bullets means two different things when comparing a grakata to a latron.

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Phage

Mastery Rank 11

Damage 30 Viral

Fire Rate 12

Status Chance 31%

Critical Chance 19%

Magazine 170/680 Capacity

25m Range

Please, is the interaction between the Phage and Multishot fixed? Currently, the number of beams has a cap but it isn't listed anywhere and severely hurts build variety. Has the cap been removed? Will I ever live my dream of seeing the Phage be a crit-based monster?

(Additionally, are we EVER getting back Volt's special interaction with beam weapons shot through his shields?)

here is some math on Glaxion for example - the number changes are a NERF to already very underpowered weapon

And the 0.8s delay before reaching peak damage makes it even worse than paper numbers!

(you can use blank weapon template to measure DPS of the changes)

q6Q76G4.jpg

2 minutes ago, AlinaBee said:

here is some math on Glaxion for example - the number changes are a NERF to already very underpowered weapon

And the 0.8s delay before reaching peak damage makes it even worse than paper numbers!

(you can use blank weapon template to measure DPS of the changes)

q6Q76G4.jpg

Well this also dosent say if the damage system is moving from the "per tick" or no, if it is it should be a buff.

Archived