Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scáthach, the Thorn Warframe

Matau_228

tumblr_p4rniuxeXc1uuuvtzo2_1280.jpg

Scathach, the Thorn. 

Alternate names: Gaebulga or Kiucalein. Naming convention comes from the tale of Cú Chulainn, a Celtic demigod, trained by the warrior-woman Scathach to use the barbed spear Gae Bulga in battle. This Warframe would be more of a defensive type, with abilities primarily being used to slow or incapacitate enemies. 

Ability and Health/Shield/Armor/Energy Stats probably have a lot of balancing issues, and are just estimates of what might be appropriate.

Health: 100 (300 at rank 30)

Shield: 100 (300 at rank 30)

Armor: 300

Energy: 100 (150 at rank 30)

tumblr_p4rniuxeXc1uuuvtzo3_1280.jpgtumblr_p4rniuxeXc1uuuvtzo1_1280.jpg

Ability 1, Devil's Walking Stick, would not drain energy over time, instead requiring a "charge" time where the amount of energy used determines the time span in which the ability is active. It would not affected by ability duration mods, instead relying on ability efficiency mods. Movement speed could be increased instead of melee speed, as it is a "walking stick." Cost could be 5 energy per 0.5 second activation time.

Ability 2, Brambles/Ensnare (name undecided), functions almost identically to Grineer Blunts, with the exception that the walls of Thorn Vines are passable barriers that deal damage and slow enemies that pass through them. The number of barriers able to be placed at a time is 1/2/4/6, depending on level. Ability range mods could affect the length of the barriers, but not the height. Cost would be 20 per barrier formed.

Ablility 3, Briar Spear, would be a thrown projectile, similar to Ash's Shuriken, though it would an arching range, similar to that of a bow, but range mods would . The initial pierce deals a heavy amount of damage, followed up shortly by briars bursting from within the enemy, slowing them down and damaging them whenever they move. Enemies that have briars growing out of them could deal damage to other enemies that come in contact with them, similar to how the Thorn Aura works, or could turn into a Bramble Barrier upon death. Energy cost could be 45.

Ability 4, Exalted Thorns, simply extends the AOE of the passive Thorn Aura, as well as boosting the damage output and guaranteeing a bleed proc. Range could be 5m, with duration increasing 5/6/7/8 upon leveling the ability. Cost could be 100.

Edited by Matau_228

This is honestly a great idea, The health, armor and shield stats seem sort of like a better Valkyr and taking the use of a certain type of weapon (melee) like Ivara does. The abilities and the concept are both amazing, and so is the art! Just a recommendation, the 3rd javelin ability, do the thorns arch between enemies? If they do that would be cool, but only slowing and dealing a blood proc for maybe 10 seconds to the enemies. Might need a bit more tweaking (that ability) before being put into the game. Also, would the tail thing actually be like a tail? Like a sort of waist-syandana and stay curled or would sway around and flooowwwww!

overall 8.87 Baro Ki'teer trash visits in a row

7 hours ago, Trickst3rGawd said:

HOLY S#&$ YES PLEASE!!

Yes 

yes yes...YES DADDDY. 

Love the concept, the art and I want her in game now.

Edit: (Suggestion) Enemies pierced by her thorn javelin give her and allies "life force" aka health regen?

I'm glad you like it! As for the Javelin, were you thinking of something somewhat like a life drain, or when an enemy dies, the plant uses the body to replenish allied health, becoming an alternate type of healing pad? I think it could work either way.

5 hours ago, FadedLocus said:

This is honestly a great idea, The health, armor and shield stats seem sort of like a better Valkyr and taking the use of a certain type of weapon (melee) like Ivara does. The abilities and the concept are both amazing, and so is the art! Just a recommendation, the 3rd javelin ability, do the thorns arch between enemies? If they do that would be cool, but only slowing and dealing a blood proc for maybe 10 seconds to the enemies. Might need a bit more tweaking (that ability) before being put into the game. Also, would the tail thing actually be like a tail? Like a sort of waist-syandana and stay curled or would sway around and flooowwwww!

overall 8.87 Baro Ki'teer trash visits in a row

Thank you, I was stressing out a little on her stats. For the thorns going between enemies, I was thinking something along those lines initially, though I was worried it might be too similar to Saryn's Spore ability. If they were transferred via physical contact, I think that could work. As for her half-skirt thing, I was thinking that it would be sort of a waist-syandana, and function kinda like how Valkyr's bonds/Chordalla Prime, or Nekros's Mortos Binds work. Maybe it would be a little more rigid, staying curled during slow movement, and stretching and flowing during fast movement?

4 hours ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

This warframe is great, i almost want to kiss the creator. I would only ask that her abilities combo off each other a little more. I cant quite put my finger on what id say add though but, you have my upvote!

It's good to see people are liking her! The only thing that immediately comes to mind in terms of combos could be that Devil's Walking Stick could increase damage, projectile speed, and/or Area of Effect for Briar Javelin.

7 minutes ago, Matau_228 said:

I'm glad you like it! As for the Javelin, were you thinking of something somewhat like a life drain, or when an enemy dies, the plant uses the body to replenish allied health, becoming an alternate type of healing pad? I think it could work either way.

Thank you, I was stressing out a little on her stats. For the thorns going between enemies, I was thinking something along those lines initially, though I was worried it might be too similar to Saryn's Spore ability. If they were transferred via physical contact, I think that could work. As for her half-skirt thing, I was thinking that it would be sort of a waist-syandana, and function kinda like how Valkyr's bonds/Chordalla Prime, or Nekros's Mortos Binds work. Maybe it would be a little more rigid, staying curled during slow movement, and stretching and flowing during fast movement?

It's good to see people are liking her! The only thing that immediately comes to mind in terms of combos could be that Devil's Walking Stick could increase damage, projectile speed, and/or Area of Effect for Briar Javelin.

Yep pretty much summed it up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 6:16 AM, KeLaRo said:

Nice :D suggestion for graphic in 4th ability: Thorn should look like a single giant Tree/Bush with roots. 

Were you thinking of something like in the bottom-right? Or would it be with the energy vines?

tumblr_p4rniuxeXc1uuuvtzo4_r1_1280.jpg

On 2/27/2018 at 12:47 PM, blazeshadow44 said:

I love it.  It reminds me of my mandrake warframe, being plantish and all.  I would totally rock this warframe if it was in game.  Three thumbs up.

......Also, have u heard of jimsonweed?

I would like to see what your mandrake 'frame! I actually did not know about jimson Weed until you brought it up. The flower looks like it would make a very interesting helmet or part of a syandana, and the seedpods look like they could be part of some sort of armor set.

On 3/1/2018 at 8:01 PM, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

AYE it was shown in a live stream the day i sent this message here ^_^

I got to see it on Youtube! I'm so glad that Megan and Danielle liked it.

The frame is awesome. Love the visual design, and the general idea behind it.

These are simply my own suggestions on the design of the abilities, for you to pick at if you desire:

Ability 3: Rename to: "Thorn"

- Reword: Fling a thorn that pierces an enemy, growing to cover them with Briar.

- Add Effect: Using a Melee attack against a snared enemy coats the weapon in Briar for [x]s (ability duration), spreading the effect to enemies hit.

(more synergy with melee (especially whips) and thus the first ability)

Ability 4: Rename to "Briar Patch"

- Rework to: Overgrow the Briar around you and on all nearby Enemies, Creating a Thicket of Briar with a [x]m Radius, dealing [y] damage and slowing for [z] seconds.

Similar to a Saryn level of propagation and coverage, were the spores only spread via direct melee.