Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wukong Rework and Discussion Topic

(PSN)TheHypothes

The idea for this thread is for us to discuss and share reworks in an ongoing discussion about Wukong and what I figure is an inevitable revisit to his kit. I'll be posting my own rework in my second post, but I encourage others to post their own ideas as well as feedback from other players. I've been a fairly hardcore Wukong main since the day he launched and have run builds of every nature on him and put probably waaaay too much thought into things I'd like to see improved in his kit. If you love Wukong too, please feel free to contribute with constructive feedback.

Wukong gets a surprisingly small amount of attention considering how iconic Sun Wukong is both culturally (not so much in the west, but he's HUGE on a global level) and influence the novel Journey to the West has had on a lot of modern media. China regularly sees new movies and adaptations of this classic tale, often at least one per year. I can list off-hand at least 5 other games he's featured in by name, as well as a handful of games directly inspired by the novel.

I really do believe he needs more love lol. Hopefully we can keep a topic alive and provide a lot of good feedback for the devs to look over to make sure Wukong gets a rework not only will more players appreciate, but stays true to what people who currently use him a lot love about him.

This particular rework attempts to keep the current kit intact and the same playstyles we currently use viable, but greatly expanding his options. I have tons of alternative ideas than this specific rework, but I feel like this one, at least most of it, is viable to implement along with it drastically opening him up.

New Passive: Triple Jump

Spoiler

The Monkey is an acrobat, and I think this would open up a lot of fun parkour options that would be in line with other mobility tools while being unique to Wukong. Currently, frames get 2 jumps with 1 being a Bullet Jump. I'd be fine with Wukong getting 3 jumps with one being a bullet jump, but if you REALLY want to make this passive stand out, letting 2 or possibly even all jumps in a sequence able to be Bullet Jumps would be a lot of fun.

Iron Jab:
        Basic Quality of Life improvements

Spoiler

Make it a one handed cast that could be used while running and not cancelling reloads etc.
    No longer requires a hit confirm on an enemy to proc the AoE knockdown effect on enemies nearby.

New Mechanics

Spoiler

1) Wukong can charge the ability to a new tier. Second tier is a 2 handed cast that locks him in place. Instead of punching forward quickly, the second tier will have Wukong increase the size of the staff and do an overhead slam, damaging all enemies in front of him and creating a shockwave in the radius around the staff popping enemies straight up into the air.

2) Wukong can cast normal Iron Jab in the air, but now has access to a ground slam via the Charged variant. When Wukong starts charging the ability, it temporarily suspends him in the air, allowing him a moment to aim towards the ground/enemies. Once the charge is full, Wukong launches towards his aimed direction (or Straight down if no valid targetable location is targeted) and slams the ground with a radial shockwave that damages and pops all enemies up in the area. This ability synergizes with Iron Vault.

Defy:
        No PROPOSED changes currently. Longer explanation:

Spoiler

I think the current state of Defy is fine with the tools Wukong has available. As a standalone skill, it's probably the best scaling survival tool in the game, but Wukong himself is incredibly squishy as a tank. His natural stats don't carry him for long, and Defy procs regularly in higher level missions, especially considering the rest of his kit forces him to get into the middle of the action. You have to build specifically for Defy to make it really stand out, so for now, I suspect altering his kit and greatly encouraging building for more abilities will greatly nerf Defy's potency naturally. If you've ever tried using Defy in a build that puts little into optimizing it, you'll quickly realize it's not carrying you at all, and is far inferior to other frames with very potent survival tools.

If Wukong does receive significant upgrades to the rest of his kit, a nerf to Defy may be warranted, but I don't want to speculate on what would be reasonable until I have a better idea of what other changes he may receive. If I had to pick something, I'd say increase the health penalty per proc to reduce the max amount of procs per cast significantly, forcing players to keep a better eye on it and refresh it more often.

Augment: Defiant Protector - For every ally in range, Wukong gains x% (5ish?) damage reduction and 50% of all damage taken by allies is redirected to Wukong. Damage reduction % and redirected damage % scales with Power Strength, but have a maximum cap. Allies include other players, NPC defense targets, and ideally specters and companions. I feel like this would be a great way to let the rest of the group benefit from Wukong's tank playstyle and add a real value to his presence in groups and higher level content.

Cloud Walker:
        Lots of changes here. Basic Quality of life first

Spoiler

1: Cloud dash - Works identical to Operator Void Dash. Bullet Jumping in a chosen direction propels Wukong in that direction quickly for a set distance. Since Cloudwalker has an energy drain based on distance traveled, the energy cost would stay consistent over the range he's traveled, but would provide a manual tool to speed up the movement.

2: Lightning - Shooting while in the Cloud fires a channeled lightning bolt similar to the Amprex that has a light energy/sec drain, but with low damage and a decent status chance. The primary function for this tool would be to provide Wukong a way to shoot out cameras while staying in the cloud, but could also be used as an emergency crowd control tool by allowing him to channel lightning that arcs through multiple targets and stunning them.

3: Iron Jab Air Slam - Wukong can leave the cloud per normal deactivation, but he can also cast his charged Iron Jab ability to leap out of the cloud directly into the slam attack variant.

Synergies with Defy and Primal Fury - I have two variants to this idea, but the starting premise is the fact that Wukong can enter Cloudwalker with Defy and Primal Fury active, can deactivate them while in Cloudwalker, but is unable to ACTIVATE them while in Cloudwalker. This would provide players a choice of creating combinations and incentivise keeping the skills active (and by default, their energy drain during a time they're not being used at all) while in Cloudwalker.

Synergy 1 - Clouds and Clones

Spoiler

If Wukong has Defy active when he deactives Cloudwalker, he drops into a persisting cloud that functions similar to Ivara's stealth bubble. Unalerted enemies can't see him as long as he stays in the cloud's area of effect, but already alerted enemies will still be aware of his presence and shoot into the cloud.

If Wukong has Primal Fury active, he drops from the cloud accompanied by a number of Wukong Specters using Primal Fury (# undetermined, but I'm gonna say 3 for now). These specters target the closest enemies and use the standard Primal Fury combo string and last for a certain duration or until they're killed or Primal Fury is deactivated. When they expire, they explode with a short ranged Radial Blind. These specters would also ideally synergize with the proposed Defy augment, providing Wukong a way to increase his crowd damage and survivability during Primal Fury.

If Wukong has BOTH active, the specters can drop from the clouds and will still melee nearby enemies. If they're unalerted, they will have the ability to proc Finisher Attacks (but not a guarantee). The specters will focus entirely on enemies inside the cloud's area until they're all dead before leaving the cloud to attack other targets.

Synergy 2 - Transformations

Spoiler

Wukong has 3 different Transformations he can choose between depending on the combination of Defy/Primal Fury he has active upon leaving the cloud. This idea is more ambitious than the last, so I don't see it as a likely inclusion, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Phoenix Stance - If only Defy is active, Wukong drops from the cloud with Phoenix inspired alterations to his apeparance. The Phoenix has significantly increased parkour abilities (or possibly even Razorwing style flight) and can shoot an Ignis style flame at enemies using primary fire, or lob explosive Napalms using alt fire, but has no melee attack. These would scale off your Primary weapon's mods. Wukong reverts to normal form upon the first proc of Defy or deactivation of the skill.

Tiger Stance - If only Primal Fury is active, Wukong drops into a Tiger inspired form. In this stance, he has increased movement and attack speed and can only use fast striking melee combos. Drops on Deactivation or when killed.

Dragon Stance - If both abilities are active, Wukong drops in a Dragon inspired form that provides him with a damage reduction as well as the Ignis style flamethrower and a heavy hitting close range melee stance. This would be the strongest all around form, but also comes with the energy cost of having both skills active. Wukong reverts to normal form if Defy procs or EITHER skill is deactivated.

Augment: Cloudsurfer - Exilus slot mod that converts Cloudwalker into a pure mobility tool. He sacrifices the normal variant of Cloudwalker in exchange for the ability to jump on a small Nimbus cloud that provides him archwing style freeflight, significantly increased movement speed, but has significantly reduced ground friction as well, making it difficult to use in combat and tighter spaces. He can use his weapons normally. Taking too much damage or manual deactivation will cause him to leap off the cloud. The main purpose of this mod is provide Wukong a fun mobility tool to cover large amounts of ground quickly.

Primal Fury -
    Handful of adjustments, mainly to quality of life and combos

Spoiler

1: Move his current passive to a stat in Primal Fury that can scale with mods. Start with a base of around 1s of BONUS Combo Duration that can then be increased or decreased via duration mods.

2: Rework how Range works. The way it currently works is all bonus range is all applied to the same value, which caps at a fairly unimpressive range. Instead, keep this cap system in place and apply it exclusively to the BASE range of the staff that scales with the combo counter and melee range mods up to a certain cap. 

Then add a new stat that provides an UNCAPPED bonus range that scales with Warframe Range mods and increases the staff's current BASE range.

Quick Example: Base unmodded range of the staff is 4 meters. Between the melee combo counter and melee mods, the base range of the staff can be increased up to 8 meters that functions the way the staff currently does. The bonus range on the ability will scale off this, so a player using a full duration build with ~34% range will still see a benefit from the current version by raising that 8 meters to a little under 12 meters, while a player using say... 250% Power Range, will see the staff grow to a very impressive 20 meters and be the ability Wukong players have always dreamed of. To balance this, maybe adding damage fall off that works similar to Shotguns could be applied (e.g. Starting at 12 meters, the staff starts losing damage with range with minimum damage being at full range of around 20-25% of its base damage.)

3: Rework the actual combos to feel better. Wukong can change the shape of his staff at will, and I'd like to see combos better reflect this feature about him.

I personally think Wukong should have 4 combos that are all relatively easy to execute, but to really master the ability, knowing when to use which combo would be essential.
    Combo 1: Normal string - Decent all around, but unimpressive combo that continually loops back into itself.
    Combo 2: Current Block/Slam String - No changes to this one
    Combo 3: Forward moving, narrow range single target combo that focuses on high damage to a single target.
    Combo 4: Wide sweeping attacks that further expand the range of the staff and is used for crowds but has a lower damage per attack on multipliers.

Aside from wanting me to build range I like all of it.

Iron Jab is a pathetic ability as is and needs massive changes, this is a good alternative to it being made a charge attack. I especially like the directed air slam idea. Sounds similar to what I've seen of Doomfist. 

Defy is, yeah. It's OP if you build solely for it, but the moment you start experimenting it actually becomes fairly difficult. For instance I've been experimenting with the Gladiator set and the reduction in max health is pretty impactful on Defy. You end up recasting Defy more often than Rhino and his Iron Skin.

I like your proposed Cloudwalker changes (although I like mine more ;)) however I fear it may be quite convoluted. 3 additional features as well as clones/transformations is a lot to remember, and a lot to try and fit into an ability description.

Jolly glad you didn't suggest changing the RMB combo. That thing is bae.

All in all, solid changes that I'd be happy to play with.

DE, you've made 1 change to Wukong's abilities that wasn't a fix, and that was making Iron Jab add to the combo counter a couple of hotfixes after release. Beyond that nothing, no buffs, nerfs or tweaks in the 2 and a bit years he's been out for.

I won't lie, I was quite disappointed that many frames got changes recently but Wukong got no mention.

Yeah, the Cloudwalker variants weren't both meant to be implemented. It was an either or kind of thing, but both are a bit complicated. I was mainly trying to find a way to squeeze out some extra functionality via skill combinations on that, but I'd be fine if neither happened short of a complete replacement for the ability altogether. I'd be down for your 72 Transformations pitch too. I just don't see a complete replacement as likely.

I was trying on the range part to keep his kit fairly similar now if you didn't build for it, but would have bigger benefits/incentive to actually build for it if you wanted. Right now, it's about as close to a useless stat as it can be unless you like Iron Vault stuff(I find it painfully boring when it's the entire playstyle), which is convenient for builds, but I've always felt all frames should have incentives for every stat to create diversity in builds and playstyles even when modding for the same skills.

Just now, (PS4)Vagnar said:

Yeah, the Cloudwalker variants weren't both meant to be implemented. It was an either or kind of thing, but both are a bit complicated. I was mainly trying to find a way to squeeze out some extra functionality via skill combinations on that, but I'd be fine if neither happened short of a complete replacement for the ability altogether. I'd be down for your 72 Transformations pitch too. I just don't see a complete replacement as likely.

I was trying on the range part to keep his kit fairly similar now if you didn't build for it, but would have bigger benefits/incentive to actually build for it if you wanted. Right now, it's about as close to a useless stat as it can be unless you like Iron Vault stuff(I find it painfully boring when it's the entire playstyle), which is convenient for builds, but I've always felt all frames should have incentives for every stat to create diversity in builds and playstyles even when modding for the same skills.

I know, I used the '/' to mean 'or' as opposed to 'and'. Sorry for the confusion.

And it's good to have incentives with range, I just don't like it because I have literally no idea how I'd build Wukong in that case.

Agreed on Iron Vault sucking. Disagree on a Cloudwalker replacement being unlikely though, Excal's super jump got completely replaced, and it provided 'roughly' similar benefits. Invisibility and vertical mobility, however you still had access to weapons and moved far faster.

Super Jump > Cloudwalker imo.

If they were to completely replace Cloudwalker, I'd probably want a clone ability myself lol. They haven't given us an augment for it yet so anything is possible with minimal interference.

I'd be genuinely curious to see if they could pull off a transformation skill though.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Vagnar said:

I'd be genuinely curious to see if they could pull off a transformation skill though.

I guess you could argue that Cloudwalker is that at the moment. Visually Wukong transforms into a cloud.

DE cheat though, the model is still there it's just invisible. You can still see certain badges floating on his shoulder and moving back and forth in a running motion as you move the cloud.

People regularly ask for Defy to drop a clone on 'death'. What are your thoughts on that?

I guess that depends on how it functions. Is it just a specter or does it have special functionality? I've had that thought myself before, but I couldn't come up with a setup I personally thought would make him more fun. I've had the idea before that Wukong would spawn specters on the initial cast of Defy and on each proc, a clone dies in his place until he's tapped out, at which point Defy would drop and require a recast, but I don't have that too fleshed out yet.

You may have mentioned this in your other topic, but I guess the best way to do his transformations would be to have them on a rotating wheel like Ivara arrows, and on cast he could just have a big puff of cloud smoke and do a model swap to whatever you have selected. 

I'd probably be pretty demanding on what each form offered though. If they just felt like afterthoughts with limited usage I'd be really disappointed. Lot of swapping and mastering each form for little payoff would likely make it a goof around only skill for me.

17 minutes ago, (PS4)Vagnar said:

I guess that depends on how it functions. Is it just a specter or does it have special functionality? I've had that thought myself before, but I couldn't come up with a setup I personally thought would make him more fun. I've had the idea before that Wukong would spawn specters on the initial cast of Defy and on each proc, a clone dies in his place until he's tapped out, at which point Defy would drop and require a recast, but I don't have that too fleshed out yet.

I'd quite like to see the specters draw aggro to be honest, trickster decoys. Wukong needs something that draws aggro imo. Your suggested Defy augment could also count the decoys as allies, reducing the damage they take whilst drawing aggro. Nice synergy.

You may have mentioned this in your other topic, but I guess the best way to do his transformations would be to have them on a rotating wheel like Ivara arrows, and on cast he could just have a big puff of cloud smoke and do a model swap to whatever you have selected. 

I'd probably be pretty demanding on what each form offered though. If they just felt like afterthoughts with limited usage I'd be really disappointed. Lot of swapping and mastering each form for little payoff would likely make it a goof around only skill for me.

Hopefully what I proposed then is acceptable ;)

I'd certainly use them, probably too much to be honest. I like your dragon idea though, I think i'd want one of the transformations to be that. 

Let's face it, Dragons are big in China. It's not an unreasonable suggestion.

Yeah, I tried to stick to pretty big symbolic animals in Chinese culture in my suggestion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Symbols_(China) - Quickie reference

Turtle, Vermillion Bird (Phoenix), Dragon, Tiger are the four big ones. I only picked 3 due to limitations, but if we had a skill designated exclusively to this, I'd LOVE to see these be the influences of each form.

Yeah, I tried to stick to pretty big symbolic animals in Chinese culture in my suggestion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Symbols_(China) - Quickie reference

Turtle, Vermillion Bird (Phoenix), Dragon, Tiger are the four big ones. I only picked 3 due to limitations, but if we had a skill designated exclusively to this, I'd LOVE to see these be the influences of each form.

Chroma, particularly his effigy, shows that DE can do a good job making an animal or creature and putting a Warframe twist on it.

Personally would have suggested the Phoenix/Tiger/Turtle in my own thread but I'd be super ripping off Smite if I did that. However I'm sure with some slight nudging it could work beautifully. 

Until people point out that we're Mutated Teenagers controlling Ninjas that can turn into Turtles... We won't hear the end of that...

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Chroma, particularly his effigy, shows that DE can do a good job making an animal or creature and putting a Warframe twist on it.

Personally would have suggested the Phoenix/Tiger/Turtle in my own thread but I'd be super ripping off Smite if I did that. However I'm sure with some slight nudging it could work beautifully. 

Until people point out that we're Mutated Teenagers controlling Ninjas that can turn into Turtles... We won't hear the end of that...

Were that the case I'd say we're going in the right direction. But yeah, these things are repeated a lot because they're thematic and they work with him. They wouldn't be ripping off Smite, they'd be borrowing from the same source material Smite/Paragon/LOL/Warriors Orochi/DBZ/tons of anime tropes/etc etc etc did, and seeing as Wukong is already here, it's a bit late to claim they won't go down that road lol.

And yeah, my first rework was just a single rework idea I wanted to start with. I forced myself to use his current kit and simply expand off it instead of replacing anything. Even with the changed passive, I moved his current passive elsewhere to keep it in there somewhere. I wanna hear other ideas and discussion and hopefully bring attention to the frame. He may not be the least used, but based on all the streams I've watched and updates over the years, he certainly sits near or at the bottom of discussion by the devs. I'm chomping at the bits to get SOME information on their thoughts towards him and what his future might hold.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Vagnar said:

Were that the case I'd say we're going in the right direction. But yeah, these things are repeated a lot because they're thematic and they work with him. They wouldn't be ripping off Smite, they'd be borrowing from the same source material Smite/Paragon/LOL/Warriors Orochi/DBZ/tons of anime tropes/etc etc etc did, and seeing as Wukong is already here, it's a bit late to claim they won't go down that road lol.

And yeah, my first rework was just a single rework idea I wanted to start with. I forced myself to use his current kit and simply expand off it instead of replacing anything. Even with the changed passive, I moved his current passive elsewhere to keep it in there somewhere. I wanna hear other ideas and discussion and hopefully bring attention to the frame. He may not be the least used, but based on all the streams I've watched and updates over the years, he certainly sits near or at the bottom of discussion by the devs. I'm chomping at the bits to get SOME information on their thoughts towards him and what his future might hold.

Good point. I just didn't want the drama of people mocking the unoriginality and having it detract from the threads intention. 

And yeah, not changing his current kit is always good, but sometimes abilities are so trash they need to go. I did try and ensure all functionality that Cloudwalker provides was included, so nothing is lost from the kit. 

Agreed on needing information. Beyond conclave tweaks I don't think he's even gotten anything since before update 19. Maybe a single fix, but nothing else. He really should be on their radar. 

I just started tinkering with him myself. I admit I don't know much about him and am just starting to understand him better. But what I've done with him has been a lot of fun. I like a lot of those ideas. I feel like I can't sway one way or the other due to lack of knowledge on him, but I am kind of sad I don't see him around very much. I'd love to see him stay true to character but still have that Warframe twist to it. Many of those suggestions seem pretty solid in making him an absolute riot to play without breaking the game so to speak.

Here's another idea that could be a fun way to combine clones and transformations and even throw a nod to DBZ. This literally just popped in my head so the design is definitely flawed, but here's the general concept:

Drop Cloudwalker and replace it with this:

Start casting an ability that locks you in place and makes you invulnerable to damage or provide a degree of mitigation while you charge up. There's 4 tiers of charging and each tier boosts stats and alters Wukongs appearance. It would be duration based and rach tier would cost another chunk of of energy, and the charge time would be relatively high so you'd have to use it preemptively instead of on the fly/mid combat.

Level 1 - Turtle : Raises your defense stats

Level 2 - Tiger : Raises attack stats

Level 3 - Phoenix : Raises Parkour stats and adds Health Regen

Level 4 - Dragon : Not sure what it'd add yet but it would be the strongest form as it'd have the boosts from the last 3 as well as something else. I'm thinking it'd add damage reflect and maybe a way to extend duration similar to Eternal War (or make this its augment and apply it to all levels)

Part 2 of the skill: Each time you change forms, the last form pops out as a Specter that lasts the duration of the ability or until killed.

If you fully charge to Dragon stance, you'd have 3 clones assisting you as well, but you could stop short at Tiger stance and still have one clone out in Turtle stance.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame that Wukong isn't talked about at all, his concept is something you could really make work as a melee Frame.

Spoiler

My own Wukong thread ideas since you asked:

Anyways, I agree with most of the things here. I think the transformation part is pushing it though because while it does stem from the original Wukong, it deviates too much from his current kit.

And yes, please change the combos for the Iron Staff.

Iron Jab - Rag dolling just needs to be removed from game IMO.. But a duration stun would be nice

Defy - Its OP (but im not complaining.. cause it makes melee fun and restless)

Cloud Walker - Movement speed, stealth mostly..  it should be like [Fatal Teleport] but do finishers on in range targeted melee attack when the abilty is active but deactivates on finisher (not just opening short window of time for finishers) Havent tested.. but im thinking its a Spy mission specific ability also being able to pass thru lasers?

Primal Fury - seems most effective against corpus robotics.. But the initial damage is not as good as melee weapon.. Seems more like a low level "i have no modded melee" ability.. I like the idea of it.. but modding doesnt seem to sync with other abilities mods.. I would like to see Primal Fury spin the staff above Wukongs head funneling enemies to Wukong while procing impact damage

7 minutes ago, Wolfchild07 said:

Would be nice if he was immune to knockdowns while doing combos in Primal Fury. Getting knocked down constantly during his 4 mid-combo is really annoying.

Agreed. Swinging hammers and such grant what, momentum? That's what stops you getting knocked down. 

Wukong's staff ends up being the largest weapon in the game when at max width, so the same should apply imo.

I really like your ideas, the cloudwalker stuff seems a bit complex though.

Changes I would like to see:

Iron Jab
1. If you hold the button down while standing on the ground, Wukong is locked in place and the staff keeps on extending to a very long range until the button is released, hitting enemies in the path. While the power is active, other people can walk on the staff like a zipline (obvious trolling potential, but also could be very cool when used properly).

2. Tapping the button shoots it out quickly like normal. I agree that it should be castable during reloads.

3. When aiming straight down, holding the button has the opposite effect of Zephyrs tail wind, meaning you extend the staff towards the ground and it launches you higher into the air, also doing an aoe slam where it hit. This way you can essentially use the staff to hop around at a great height doing ground slams for the cost of energy.

Cloudwalker - Just a slight outline of Wukong visible in the cloud so I know he's over solid ground when I come out of it.

cloud walker wont be complex if this mode opens 1-4 abilities putting the suggested new cloud variants for this 1-4 functionality with 3 used to disable cloudwalk or "jump ambush" out cloud walk.

and I do think it should have some chance to avoid lasers, maybe a duration counter so you cant just stay in it, to stealth lasers, that would be OP I think IMO.