Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FPS dropping in Orokin/Plains

RugerMK1

Running a Nvidia GTX 970, on the ship my FPS are fine but in the Orokin Void tileset or the Plains/Cetus I get severe FPS drops. FPS goes from holding at 70 to 30s in the Void, in the Plains the drop is even worse down to 18FPS.  I was getting this FPS drop with older Nvidia drivers from Nov/Dec/Jan before updating to February's drivers which did not resolve the issue.

Oddly enough, I am able to play on the Kuva Fortress tileset just fine. 70 FPS during a testing mobile defense.  I  tried turning off DirectX 10 in the launcher, verified/optimized using the launcher.  Perused some of the forum for issues like this one but didn't find anything similar to this.

If anyone has any solutions I can try or has experienced this same issue. please reply. Thanks in advance.

Changed Warframe to run in borderless windowed mode, now it no longer has these FPS drops.  Uncertain as to how that fixed it, but willing to smile happily and take this as a easy solution.

If anyone else has a problem like this, try what I did.

Thanks this fixed a problem ive been having for the last 3 weeks or so. I thought maybe my vid card was about to die because I used to run WF with max video settings then all the sudden I started getting FPS drops but also my video motion would stutter even while FPS stayed around 60.  Was really making me motion sick and was worse in certain areas like earth but could happen in others too.  I had to lower my vid settings to lowest possible and I would still get motion stutters when I was running around. 

Your windowed borderless mode seems to have stopped the stutters. I will test it more this weekend by setting my graphic settings high again.

thanks

Edited by Dougram

On 3/9/2018 at 2:23 PM, RugerMK1 said:

Changed Warframe to run in borderless windowed mode, now it no longer has these FPS drops.  Uncertain as to how that fixed it, but willing to smile happily and take this as a easy solution.

If anyone else has a problem like this, try what I did.

So far this has been working for me even at max graphic settings.  thanks again for the find. you pretty much saved the game for me!

Can you tell us how you ran the game before you came across this borderless windowed solution? Was it fullscreen or windowed? Curious if there is something that we can do on our end to find the culprit. Thanks!

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

12 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Can you tell us how you ran the game before you came across this borderless windowed solution? Was it fullscreen or windowed? Curious if there is something that we can do on our end to find the culprit. Thanks!

I was running fullscreen with most settings on highest before I ran into these performance issues.  Ill try to go into more detail later when i get the time.

thanks for looking into this!

I'm using 760gtx with 1gb vid mem

16gb system ram on i7

Edited by Dougram

I'm using a much lower end PC than You guys and borderless window also gives me way better performance also. Basicaly the only performance issues I have are crowded relays. Full screen eats away all my RAM after a while, too.

i5-2500, 8GB RAM, Sapphire HD 6850 1GB

Wow didn't realize my topic had garnered more attention.  I ran the game in Fullscreen mode before with max settings.

Using an i7-6700k 16GB RAM and a Zotec Nvidia GTX 970 with February's Nvidia drivers.

Also I was under the impression that running in a windowed or borderless windowed mode actually took MORE system resources to operate than full screen.

And I really had NO idea what settings to try to tweak to fix it, I just selected borderless windowed mode on a whim.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally!

Edit: Tested Warframe in Cetus/Plains now in both fullscreen and borderless windowed mode, they're both fine with no FPS drops now. Perhaps an undocumented patch change or other fix has resolved this issue, at least in my situation.

Edited by RugerMK1
Testing info

On 3/5/2018 at 2:20 AM, RugerMK1 said:

Running a Nvidia GTX 970, on the ship my FPS are fine but in the Orokin Void tileset or the Plains/Cetus I get severe FPS drops. FPS goes from holding at 70 to 30s in the Void, in the Plains the drop is even worse down to 18FPS.  I was getting this FPS drop with older Nvidia drivers from Nov/Dec/Jan before updating to February's drivers which did not resolve the issue.

Oddly enough, I am able to play on the Kuva Fortress tileset just fine. 70 FPS during a testing mobile defense.  I  tried turning off DirectX 10 in the launcher, verified/optimized using the launcher.  Perused some of the forum for issues like this one but didn't find anything similar to this.

If anyone has any solutions I can try or has experienced this same issue. please reply. Thanks in advance.

In the Warframe launcher, deselect DX11 under the settings cogwheel in the upper right. Make sure only DX10 is selected. This fixed the recent performance drops with the March 15th patch for me and some others. Thanks to Happy2B for finding this fix!