Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender Confusion

(XBOX)DrJackRuneX

Is it just me or does different tennos having specific genders make no sense? As I understand it, a Warframe is just a suit on an operator. So therefore having a suit change the gender of said operator is just wierd. 

Personally I would love to see a male and female option for ALL Frames. Who else wishes this?

1 minute ago, (XB1)DrJackRuneX said:

Personally I would love to see a male and female option for ALL Frames. Who else wishes this?

You mean, redo all the frames and skins (deluxe, standard, tennogen etc), just so we can pick which gender the frames are?

Honestly, it just sounds like a complete waste of time.

5 minutes ago, (XB1)DrJackRuneX said:

As I understand it, a Warframe is just a suit on an operator.

You're missing the part where the Z-kids are using remote control before War Within, and demonic-style possession afterward. Your Z-kid isn't actually touching the Warframe at any point

~~Spoiler alert~~

Spoiler

Warframes were created from actual infected people... they have some degree of sentience, although not enough to be autonomous. It's more like an interactive A.I. or a trace of a personality. That's why they're male/female. 

Edited by Maka.Bones

The Warframes are characters. Lore wise, they're suits created to help the tenno channel their abilities, but since the start, it's been all about using the suit to become someone else.

Even if your Tenno is a girl, Loki is still Loki, and will not get hormone therapy just for you, nor will Ember if your tenno is a guy. For that matter, neither will Equinox or Nehza stop their trans-therapy for the operator.

Warframes and Operators are separate entities. The sex/gender of one has no bearing on the other.

Also, it's become increasingly clear over time that the warframes were made based on (perhaps even from) actual individuals from the Orokin era. If that is indeed the case, then it makes little sense for them to have both male and female versions.

14 minutes ago, (XB1)DrJackRuneX said:

Is it just me or does different tennos having specific genders make no sense? As I understand it, a Warframe is just a suit on an operator. So therefore having a suit change the gender of said operator is just wierd. 

Apparently you havent played the game enough.

Warframes arent Suits, they are Biomechanical Animus remotely controlled by the Operators. There is no Tenno inside it.

Now, how about completing the Second Dream quest?

8 minutes ago, NezuHimeSama said:

For that matter, neither will Equinox or Nehza stop their trans-therapy for the operator.

Equinox can choose to be either a dude, or a girl though (even though it's mainly a girl, according to DE). Nehza is just a boy who likes to dress pretty. 

Equinox = Homura (from sekirei)

latest?cb=20150402040935&path-prefix=pro

Nehza = Ferris from Re: Zero

5b5fb856195680672cdfcb1cfdd747271f3fe84f

Edited by Maka.Bones

1 minute ago, TrinityPrime said:

I want to change my operator into a void shark. Then I can petition all frames to be changed into Sharkframes!

You never know what experiments were hidden in the cargo compartments of the Zaramon 10-0. 

I thought Voidshark was the person and Floofshark was the species?

2 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

Equinos is Female in both Night and Day forms, Day form is just more robust and flat chested.

oh! nvm then lol.

Thought day form turned into a man, night form turned into a woman, and neutral was both at the same time.

Kinda like homura from sekirei

29 minutes ago, (XB1)DrJackRuneX said:

Get ready to not have any real updates for the next year, and have every warframe release pushed back by several months, not only is it too time consuming, but there is an acual lore reason why this happens, you just didn't do the quest yet.

15 minutes ago, Maka.Bones said:

Amusingly, Nezha looks really different from the artistic rendition in the Chynese legends, I really wish DE put more effort into the designs instead of just getting it from anime and such, if physically hurts me whenever I see the nunchaku weapons, hikou, throwing knives, scythes, sparring, and certain character designs based off of cultures.

@(XB1)DrJackRuneX Go learn to do TennoGen, create the cross gender versions, submit them to DE for review and cross fingers. Otherwise this is not happening.

Edit: Below is Devstream 71, see around the 51 minutes mark where they address cross gender warframes.

Edited by theraot

2 hours ago, midtarget said:

Amusingly, Nezha looks really different from the artistic rendition in the Chynese legends

Ping_Sien_Si_-_008_Nezha_(deity)_(155131

ba2f3fd16976a8d2588fa7110f8d0ba5.jpg

looks pretty fine to me, DE wasnt gonna put a human as a frame in the game, so they took some liberties to make the nezha of legend take form as a frame

3 hours ago, midtarget said:

Amusingly, Nezha looks really different from the artistic rendition in the Chynese legends, I really wish DE put more effort into the designs instead of just getting it from anime and such, if physically hurts me whenever I see the nunchaku weapons, hikou, throwing knives, scythes, sparring, and certain character designs based off of cultures.

While Warframe's Nezha has little excuse, the rest actually make sense within the lore. The Orokin were MASSIVE "form over function" fanatics, so the fact that the above-mentioned weapons all take a sharp right turn away from reality just plays into that. Compare the Gunsen, a bunch of irresponsible knives, with an actual war fan, something that was used as a weapon only in its folded-up form as a one-handed club.

Edited by TARINunit9

12 hours ago, midtarget said:

Okay, but you're going to flip when you see this:

Spoiler

291?cb=20141124023302african-white-rhino.jpg

Or this:

Spoiler

291?cb=20141124023346The_Dises_by_Hardy.jpg

Then there's also:

Spoiler

291?cb=20150223022507latest?cb=20160822154359study_for_the_quarrel_of_oberon_and_tita

And...

Spoiler

291?cb=20141124023407H1Zvr.jpg

I mean, none of the ones based off a myth really look representative of those myths...

13 hours ago, midtarget said:

What are you even on about?

Il y a 14 heures, Maka.Bones a dit :

Equinox can choose to be either a dude, or a girl though (even though it's mainly a girl, according to DE). Nehza is just a boy who likes to dress pretty. 

Equinox = Homura (from sekirei)

Actually, the canon truth is that Equinox is 100% female. Her day shape just look a bit too masculine.

Friendly reminder that Nezha is only definitely a trap. Lore could later reveal he was trans, but I doubt it will due to the horrible dangers of writing that. No matter how well it's written, Current Year will have half your playerbase think you're doing some form of political pandering and be very <emotion> with you. Doing so would demand your CMs walk the razor's edge. Only real winning move is not to play.

Anyways official stance by DE seems to be they won't do it themselves, but aren't (necessarily) going to reject a crossdressing tennogen skin on principle. Given that DE really only cares about making a fun videogame that makes a sh!tton of money, if people like skin they'll probably ship it. It just has to be a good skin.

2 hours ago, D20 said:

Actually, the canon truth is that Equinox is 100% female. Her day shape just look a bit too masculine.

To be fair I think that answer was more out of pragmatism than the actual design intent.

Public-facing, though... An answer of "male day female night" would have potentially been seen as pandering to the Cult of SocJus. At best nobody would care, at worst, you cause a civil war in the community and kill the game.

Meanwhile saying "female at all times" is safe. Very few people get upset over it, the fairly clearly female night mode doesn't give people additional questions, and everyone moves on with their lives.

In a game where lore is fragmented with slow release cycles, and in the Current Year where half the population will mis-interpret your yin-yang theme (which actually does have a gendered component) as a political statement, it would be very difficult to pull off a hermaphroditic character without having it blow up in your face.

If you want to try you pretty much have to have it be a story-centric game.... and uh, if anyone is looking for a really good handling of a herm character, I highly, highly recommend Nier: RepliCant, or its global release, Nier: Gestalt.

51 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

You know what we need instead of gender swapped frames?

Operators with actual genders, seriously our operators are as femine or masculin as the carrier sentinel.

It's more that their bodies are like, 12-15 or so. Mentally they've been active for decades, maybe even centuries... but the bodies of the void demons had been held in the stasis of the Second Dream so long they even forgot who and what they are.

I am very much not opposed to having the operators actually grow up as the game progresses. Bonus points if it's done subtlety as you complete more and more post-Second Dream quests.

Edited by TheBlueJelly