Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Creating our own Glyphs when?

ZenDash

Im sure many others and I would want to stand out from the rest, we're not all fanboys to that one particular streamer and it is kinda unfair how only they get to do this. It's all practically small jpegs, how much space could they possibly take up?

I would love the idea to have one of those basic warframe profile glyphs but instead it would be my own customized frame and background in place of it, you could make the price around 50 plat each time you change and the available options for about the same price so it's still profitable for your company, the old glyphs and streamer/ytber ones could still be obtained if one wishes to use these instead. 

6 minutes ago, Nomayonnaiseinireland said:

I think the space required could turn out to be pretty substantial, but if they allow the use of the clan emblems that already exist...

I have a folder with almost 2500 jpeg reaction images webms etc. and it's barely taking up to 2 gigs, I mean surely for a gaming industry that does events with cash prizes of 10 grand for first place(Tenno's greatest trailer) this should be nothing lol they're not running on potatoes for servers

When a clan changes the emblem they have to wait until the next update of the game to see it, I cannot confirm if it is the same for channel glyphs, however it won't surprise me if it is... because if DE has another way to distribute these textures then they could use it for emblems.

That means, that, with the current system, if every player had a custom one... then those are GBs to download for everybody. Extra GBs for just glyphs for everybody is just not worth it. They would need to change the system to allow download of the textures on demand (with some system to verify the integrity on the fly).

Oh, yeah. Even if you upload jpeg, DE has to convert that to a bitmap format. I have reasons to believe that the game uses DirectX special compressed texture formats (usually associated with the .dds extension, although DE does not use individual files for each texture in the Warframe cache, and I cannot confirm the format without breaking the eula).

---

Addendum: I can think of a roadmap...

1. DE implements on demand download for emblems. The issue here is that it is too low priority to do it. However, a few months ago I didn't expect them to increase the decoration capacity of the orbiter, and then they did, and a lot more. So, never say never. The result would be that when the clan changes the emblem, they get it at most a couple days afterwards (they still do manual review) instead of waiting for the next update.

2. DE implements on demand download of glyps. This is where everybody can have their own glyph, basically under the same rules as clan emblems. Perhaps at a different price point.

3. DE implements on demand download for other kind of assets. This will allow them to break tennogen rounds release cycles to work independently of the update cycle.

4. DE implements on demand download for most game assets. Now, you only download the core game and a few assets, and you can enter the orbiter, and have access to chat and crafting (pretty much like the android app)... in the background the game continues downloading... if you start a mission, the game will up the priority of the resources for that mission allowing it to start and play (during which the download of everything else is probably on pause to do not slow the game) and the game continues to download everything else afterwards.

5. DE implements on demand download and hot swap of binary modules. Now, a hotfix will not tell you to leave the game... instead it will say that you have to wait in the orbiter while it downloads and patches the game. Big updates will still require to leave and enter again.

Edited by theraot

On 3/10/2018 at 9:14 PM, ZenDash said:

I have a folder with almost 2500 jpeg reaction images webms etc. and it's barely taking up to 2 gigs, I mean surely for a gaming industry that does events with cash prizes of 10 grand for first place(Tenno's greatest trailer) this should be nothing lol they're not running on potatoes for servers

Maybe DE works with higher quality images than meme garbage that has been jpg'd to hell and back.