Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma vs Braton Prime

(PSN)de_sch0sch

Question

Greetings,

I'm fairly new in WF so I'm in need assistance to prepare myself for the daily missions (Sorties?). Specifically I'm looking to build one primary of each type (shotgun, AR, sniper, bow). Now I'm pretty confident with my shotgun and bow choices (Hek and Dread) and am planning to build a Rubico as soon as I manage to get my hands on another blue potato. I've been playing arround with the warframe builder with the mods and weapons I have available and came up with these builds:

Soma build

Braton Prime build

I was very supprised that the regular Soma seems to outperform the Braton Prime (my  first prime primary and second prime weapon overall) on paper. How accurate are the numbers?

I liked both weapons alot while leveling them but I don't have the resources to build both of them. Also the Soma eats ammo like crazy but as I've done that daily mission just once with my clan and felt utterly useless I've no idea if it matters or not.

Which of these would do better with 'baisc' mods in daily missions and other high level content? Or are there even other options I missed? I've picked my weapons based on their looks in most cases.

Regards, sch0sch

Edited by (PS4)de_sch0sch

8 answers to this question

These are two very different guns, but the gist of it is simple.

The Soma can more easily mow down waves of lighter units, but it relies on crits maybe a little too much to be reliable if you don't have Point Strike, Vital Sense, and Hunter Munitions fully ranked.  If you have those mods, great, you've got a machine gun that can cause extensive amounts of bleed damage via crits, but that's about it.  Really, Soma feels like a bit of a one-trick pony with this build, but given it works well, I'm not exactly complaining.

The Braton Prime has a Status chance that, while not at the 30% break point you need with all the dual-stat elemental mods, is high enough that, with all four, you can still use it as a very reliable status weapon with some wiggle room for the crit mods if you so wish, making it better at dealing with, say, Shield or Armor Sorties.  Plus it has an ammo economy and reloads quicker.

Really, it's up to you; Soma's better for some things, Braton Prime's better for others.

Note that the damage "on paper" won't be as high as a critical build, because the power of a status build doesn't show up on Warframe-builder.  88% chance to have a status effect on every shot, with 12.5 shots per second, is a lot of corrosive and bleed procs!  You'll be stripping armor and damaging directly to health, quickly outpacing a soma in high level content.  

Switch corrosive to viral would also crush it.  Add Fanged Fusillade for more bleed procs too.   

https://goo.gl/f1jq8h

Edited by (PS4)CannaWhoopazz13

Braton is status rather than crit.

Use the 60/60 status/element mods on braton instead of the 90 element mods.

Try not to just run corrosive either. It's the simplest (aka laziest) build to run but does suffer against Corpus. Especially their shields (-50% damage). Whereas a toxin status Braton doesn't care about shields (great to use on Enhanced Shields sortie, most kills least damage is always satisfying).

If you ask me ... Tenora is a much better rifle than Soma Prime now. It might be a bit of a grind to reach, but it shouldn't be that impossible to get within a short time.

However with a full crit build on Soma, it should be able to carry quite well in most Sorties up to Sortie III (using Hunter Munitions and Viral). Braton P on the other hand is a bit situational and likely will be less efficient even when modded for full status unless you have a Riven or the Sortie Modifier is one that gives the enemy Armor or Shields. However, Braton P will not be so Forma Intensive to max out.

38 minutes ago, (PS4)de_sch0sch said:

How accurate are the numbers?

Numbers are accurate in the conditions they are shown.

39 minutes ago, (PS4)de_sch0sch said:

Which of these would do better with 'baisc' mods in daily missions and other high level content?

Depends.

I don't have all of these mods, but just went all out on dual stat elementals and multi shot for the Braton Prime:

Braton Prime build v2

It's lower on forma as my original build but the raw damage numbers have also been cut in half. Will the high status chance make up for the raw damage loss?

Edit: I have all basic elemental mods available and I'm aware of the basic concept of elemental advantages and disadvantages. I've chosen the corrosive build since I tend to play vs Grineer/Infested/Corrupted in most cases. As for the dual stats I'll have to farm for them.

Edit2: I'm trying to achive the best result possible with the resources (mods) available to me. I'll farm for the dual stats or buy them of baro the next time he'll have them available but I do not see myself hunting eidolons in the near future.

Edited by (PS4)de_sch0sch
Edit & Edit2

As others said, the two weapons serve different purposes- Soma focuses more on raw damage through critical hit chance/multiplier, while the Braton is really good for status chance- Viral plus the Braton Prime's innate slash make short work of many enemy types.

I might add, another weapon (my personal favorite) that gets overlooked is the Baza. It feels more like the Braton in terms of use, but is a crit-focused weapon like the Soma. So if you find you prefer using the Braton, but want a crit build (Hunter munitions is wonderful), try it out! (You need to be in a clan to get it, though)