Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Request for DE

Epsilon_Aspire

I have held off on posting this for sometime to try and think of any downsides/bad things about this idea but i cant come up with anything so i am throwing it out to the masses;

DE please give us the option to "tick a box" in the options menu to say "Never Make me Host". I have a terrible connection for hosting, playing the game is fine but if i am host all others in my party with suffer horrific lag and rubber banding, I know its terrible and I don't want to have to put anyone through that.

Now I know there are a few thing I can do at the moment to help prevent it from making me host but they are not perfect and aren't really meant to do this.

Also I understand there might be times where it will have no choice but to make me host, for instance if three out of the four people have this ticked and fourth person left it would have to host migrate to one of the three but that fair enough.

Can anyone think of a way this could be "exploited" for personal gain or is just a bad idea in general?

Anyway thinks for reading and your comments,

Epsi

5 minutes ago, Epsilon_Aspire said:

@s3d_sas Could u explain why this would be bad?

First that’s not my account I’m PS4 user 

and second I’m not saying it’s bad but I’m saying that it wouldn’t make any huge difference ingame I mean can’t u try to get better connection? (I’m just saying)

And do u always play missions in public?

I’m sorry if I was trying to be an A****** or something 

Edited by (PS4)s3d_sas

Whoops sorry other s3d_sas guy :(

I have no option to get a better connection, my geographical location is the limiting factor and this option would be for the benefit of others as i can play the game no problem even when host but others suffer if i do host.

No i do my focus farm Solo but this is supposed to be a multiplayer game and my clan mates are not always on.

Your comment was fine I am just trying to cover all basses as to if this is a bad idea or not so i am after full explanations and reasons rather than reaction answers with no explanation.

1 minute ago, Phatose said:

So, if no one else is playing a node that you try to play, what happens?  Do you start it solo mode?  Or do you become a host of a public game?  Or does it simply fail to start?

I guess the game could "que" me and wait for someone to start a game i could join? Currently it will start a public game and make me host for others to join and that is what i am trying to avoid.

Remember this would be and option if you dont mind being host then dont tick it.

I don't see a major downside to this. I mean people who know they have bad connections (and can't get better ones because that's just how it works sometimes) could tick a box that stops them from being host. I mean i like the idea, i have run into some games where the connection is so bad that i can't do anything. Most the time those players knew they had bad connections and would be apologizing the whole time. I like the idea, i have only ever seen 2 or 3 players who refused to acknowledge their horrid connections by saying things like "why don't you get a better connection you *insert horrid word here*"

3 minutes ago, lightdragon64 said:

I don't see a major downside to this. I mean people who know they have bad connections (and can't get better ones because that's just how it works sometimes) could tick a box that stops them from being host. I mean i like the idea, i have run into some games where the connection is so bad that i can't do anything. Most the time those players knew they had bad connections and would be apologizing the whole time. I like the idea, i have only ever seen 2 or 3 players who refused to acknowledge their horrid connections by saying things like "why don't you get a better connection you *insert horrid word here*"

This is the thing, i think most people who have a bad connection know it and would rather not put people through it.

As a fellow gamer with an awful connection, also due to geographical location, I would very much like this option. It is kind of irritating knowing that if you host people will often leave ASAP or make comments about awful internet and knowing that other than play solo, which can be very tedious at times, you don't really have anything you can do about it as it stands.

Edit:
Hell if the host migration code is up to snuff you could have a system of migrate to the first person to join the group and have it let you start even if there isn't a group for the node when you hit go.

Edited by MalNebiros

I have a somewhat decent connection, but would also rather enjoy such an option. Sometimes when Im playing i would like to watch a stream or watch a video or something, so to reduce the bandwidth on my system i could use this feature to turn off my host ability and thus id be free to view the video without buffering or reducing other people's gameplay experience to crap.

I can't think of a downside Epsilon, other than to say what happens if too many players tick that box, won't you be back where you started somewhat? 

I wonder if another approach might be to have the ability to pass the "host" to another player as a transaction? So if you notice that you have become host through no fault of your own and you are in one of these situations where players in a squad are suffering... Maybe if you had the option to "pass" host on to another player? I'm not a programmer but would this be workable?

Edited by CitizenArmistice

honestly think this would be a good idea the only way a friend who has terrible connection been able to get around this is making me or someone wit good connection host their games by making a party so having a option like this would make the game alot more smoother for everyone only problem is that itll take a while to implement into the game system probly

6 minutes ago, CitizenArmistice said:

I can't think of a downside Epsilon, other than to say what happens if too many players tick that box, won't you be back where you started somewhat? 

I wonder if another approach might be to have the ability to pass the "host" to another player as a transaction? So if you notice that you have become host through no fault of your own and you are in one of these situations where players in a squad are suffering... Maybe if you had the option to "pass" host on to another player? I'm not a programmer but would this workable?

This would also be a good idea.