Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Fool/Main what am i missing

PMR25

Question

MR 18+ 3yrs since 2015 and im still not where i thought i was the short story is i've put alot of forma into many of my melee's and for all my time spent im still running into situations where im not able to attain what i need to really play the game and happily grind via... 

(1) how do i setup my melee for high amour enemies like bombards and heavy gunners etc.

(2) with said amour i do max out my dmg since even some like ie. my 7-11k spin Ohma works on lvl 100 assinationate but anything else and im rekt and my dmg falls off.

(3) what is spin attack in general and how does it relate to melee as with higher spin attack i find i do more dmg and the opposite i do less knowing i got all speed mods max+aracane strike

(4) who are the frames that synergize with melee only since i do use saryn now after a recommedation from a high rank clan member who clan leader also recommends

(5) a viable build to level my melee's but also when i forma them

https://imgur.com/a/RP1TN

following the link these are what i've use and have used 

Edited by PMR25

14 answers to this question

If you use Blood Rush or Body Count, you need to be using Body Count/Drifting Contact/Gladiator Rush. These make your combo counter last long enough for you to get to the next group of enemies without it resetting.

Also, for the Shaku, I recommend running Shattering Impact + Viral vs Grineer instead of corrosive + cold. Shattering Impact removes base armor, before level calculations, so it can have a much larger effect on high-level enemies, and Viral is more effective vs armor-stripped Grineer.

All of your builds look pretty good. I personally run Viral on my high-status slash-focused melee, but that is more of a matter of choice.

As far as melee-oriented frames, I would have to recommend an Eternal War Valkyr build. You can more than double your attack speed and armor, and as long as you keep killing enemies, you can keep the buff going without having to re-cast.

You also mentioned Spin Attacks. Here's an important tidbit about spin attacks: unless you have Maiming Strike or an equivalent riven, they aren't worth doing outside of the Tonfa, Whip, and Polearm series, and even those are severly hampered by a lack of Maiming Strike. This is due to most Slide Attacks only doing about 1-1.5x weapon damage, when most combos have moves that deal 2x or 3x damage, or guaranteed slash procs.

Good Luck.

Just from  looking to the atterax build i have some input, first how do you maintain your combo counter?  Take of primed fury because you already have berserker and put drifting contact or body count, Second replace true steel with relentless combination or maiming strike if you like spin attacks, even buzz kill can be replaced with weeping wounds. 

Suggestion in order after looking through the link :
1- use True Steel with care. I often find that Blood Rush covers all your need for critical chance.
The over-all bonus is one that I personally feel can be greatly over-come by different mix of mods so it feels like a wasted slot in my opinion.
(Edit #1)

2- Primed Fury OR Berserker, never both.
There is such a thing as too much speed, when you have the damage to one-shoot most enemies, having the ability to hit 5 time in one second is completely useless.
Having two speed mods waste another slot that could be used toward better killing efficiency.

3- Look at enemy weaknesses in your codex.
I see a lot of Toxin, fire, cold and blast.
You're losing a good 50-75% weakness bonus by not using elements that are strong against the enemy that you want to kill.

4- Condition overload works better on fast-hitting + Status generous weapons. ( 80+% status chance ( Super bonus if you reach 100% Status ))
If you mix it with Viral, Slash and Radiation you'll get a killing machine that ignores armor, remove 50% of the enemy health and remove any nearby buff provided by support unit.

5- Some Stances have innate Procs and effect that will be really helpful such as Instant-finisher and basic procs that'll stack with Condition overload or simply nullify enemy damage for a short period of time.
Not super necessary to look into, but it's there.

6- Reach is not mandatory for every weapon, I know it looks fancy with that primed font, but its effect are okay-ish at best depending on the weapon and stance you use.
On staff and pole-arm it'll be extraordinary, but on things like dual daggers and close ranged combos it's going to be wasted potential.

7- Always equip Drifting contact with Blood Rush. These can't live away from each other unless you're rocking the Naramon Focus School Passive.

Hope that helps, even if only a bit.

Edited by (PS4)XxDarkyanxX

16 minutes ago, (PS4)XxDarkyanxX said:

1- Never use True Steel. Even less if you equip Blood Rush on the side.
The bonus is so little that it's not worth using a slot. It's also to be noted the Blood Rush will do 10 time better by just hitting enemies and stacking up your combo meter.

Not true actually, True Steel and Blood Rush stack so TS gives a decent enough bonus. I would still always pick Organ Shatter over it, but the bonus is not so little as you might think.

20 minutes ago, (PS4)XxDarkyanxX said:

1- Never use True Steel. Even less if you equip Blood Rush on the side.
The bonus is so little that it's not worth using a slot. It's also to be noted the Blood Rush will do 10 time better by just hitting enemies and stacking up your combo meter.

Blood Rush multiplies modded Critical Chance, so True Steel can make a huge difference

il y a 4 minutes, bluepheonix13 a dit :

Not true actually, True Steel and Blood Rush stack so TS gives a decent enough bonus. I would still always pick Organ Shatter over it, but the bonus is not so little as you might think.

il y a 2 minutes, CaptainZgred a dit :

Blood Rush multiplies modded Critical Chance, so True Steel can make a huge difference

I'll take note of that and change the wording above for something more personal opinion-esque.
Much appreciated.

On 3/17/2018 at 5:53 PM, (PS4)XxDarkyanxX said:

1- use True Steel with care. I often find that Blood Rush covers all your need for critical chance.
The over-all bonus is one that I personally feel can be greatly over-come by different mix of mods so it feels like a wasted slot in my opinion.
(Edit #1)

There is such a thing as too much speed, when you have the damage to one-shoot most enemies, having the ability to hit 5 time in one second is completely useless.
Having two speed mods waste another slot that could be used toward better killing efficiency.

You're losing a good 50-75% weakness bonus by not using elements that are strong against the enemy that you want to kill.

4- Condition overload works better on fast-hitting + Status generous weapons. ( 80+% status chance ( Super bonus if you reach 100% Status ))
If you mix it with Viral, Slash and Radiation you'll get a killing machine that ignores armor, remove 50% of the enemy health and remove any nearby buff provided by support unit.

5- Some Stances have innate Procs and effect that will be really helpful such as Instant-finisher and basic procs that'll stack with Condition overload or simply nullify enemy damage for a short period of time.

6- Reach is not mandatory for every weapon, I know it looks fancy with that primed font, but its effect are okay-ish at best depending on the weapon and stance you use.
On staff and pole-arm it'll be extraordinary, but on things like dual daggers and close ranged combos it's going to be wasted potential.

7- Always equip Drifting contact with Blood Rush. These can't live away from each other unless you're rocking the Naramon Focus School Passive.

this helps plenty and then some i had my ideas here and there but ultimately when i needed my melee's i'd either bw dying or couldn't handle the high amour enemies :P

On 3/17/2018 at 5:53 PM, (PS4)XxDarkyanxX said:

(Edit #1)

quoting number 2 you say not to use two of the well known speed mods and following that logic what can i replace it with as i use nucg status builds 

Edited by PMR25
change my quote

On 3/17/2018 at 2:24 PM, PMR25 said:

MR 18+ 3yrs since 2015 and im still not where i thought i was the short story is i've put alot of forma into many of my melee's and for all my time spent im still running into situations where im not able to attain what i need to really play the game and happily grind via... 

(1) how do i setup my melee for high amour enemies like bombards and heavy gunners etc.

For these type of enemies I personally use a high-status weapon like Lesion with viral damage (virulent scourge+vicious frost) + Weeping wounds and some combo buff mods (e.g. body count). Get enough viral procs on them and they'll go down pretty fast, regardless of their armor.

8 hours ago, (PS4)AeonDeus said:

For these type of enemies I personally use a high-status weapon like Lesion with viral damage (virulent scourge+vicious frost) + Weeping wounds and some combo buff mods (e.g. body count). Get enough viral procs on them and they'll go down pretty fast, regardless of their armor.

Does Viral Scale bc i hasn't for me hence the Cor+Cold 

On 3/17/2018 at 5:44 PM, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

If you use Blood Rush or Body Count, you need to be using Body Count/Drifting Contact/Gladiator Rush. These make your combo counter last long enough for you to get to the next group of enemies without it resetting.

Also, for the Shaku, I recommend running Shattering Impact + Viral vs Grineer instead of corrosive + cold. Shattering Impact removes base armor, before level calculations, so it can have a much larger effect on high-level enemies, and Viral is more effective vs armor-stripped Grineer.

All of your builds look pretty good. I personally run Viral on my high-status slash-focused melee, but that is more of a matter of choice.

As far as melee-oriented frames, I would have to recommend an Eternal War Valkyr build. You can more than double your attack speed and armor, and as long as you keep killing enemies, you can keep the buff going without having to re-cast.

You also mentioned Spin Attacks. Here's an important tidbit about spin attacks: unless you have Maiming Strike or an equivalent riven, they aren't worth doing outside of the Tonfa, Whip, and Polearm series, and even those are severly hampered by a lack of Maiming Strike. This is due to most Slide Attacks only doing about 1-1.5x weapon damage, when most combos have moves that deal 2x or 3x damage, or guaranteed slash procs.

Good Luck.

with reagrd to spin attacks i don't slide so i'll not be using it and like i did talk to my clan leader who said spin attacks is basically there for weps that have low crit or low status saying that tho i do use ohma and with the build i got it can go from 7k spin to 11k spin but doesn't scale into high-tier like 80's on sortie 3 and i assume that bc it's mainly electric so only corpus viable or as with this post idk enough about ohma 

What you're missing is status. Slash, viral and corrosive status in specific. Slash status is finisher damage for like 258% of your basedamage x multipliers in 7 ticks over 4 seconds. Viral status halves health and is thus pretty neat in combination with slash and corrosive simply depells armor in a few ticks.

The 2 ways to profit off status are by using your combo counter (higher slash chance, potentially stronger ticks but requires longer games to build it up and naramon focus - can be combined with viral) and Condition Overload (which raises basedamage multiplicative with the number of ticks on the enemy. Doesn't need combo but does require corrosive+blast on your weapon as blast counts twice)

A crit build is basicly drifting contact, blood rush, crit mods (crit damage over chance if you have to choose), attack speed and eather Weeping wounds or 2 slots for viral. Plus minus life strike, which i consider a mandatory.

A CO build reserves 5 slots for CO and the 4 elements for corrosive and blast. That one supports more range and allows Healing return as alternative to life strike.

Slash focused weapons are recommendet for both, tho mixed physical weapons are an option for CO builds as well. Obviously prefer crit strong/mixed crit status weapons for crit builds and status strong weapons for CO builds.

Frames that work well with crit weapons are: 

*Ash - the combo counter affects and is feed by bladestorm, seeking shurken is armor drain for extra raw damage, invisibility is an innitial 8x multiplier that adds to crit and his passive raises slash to 307%.  Use (Primed) Fury over Berserker on ash. (P) Fury affects his Bladestorm, berserker does not !!!

*Valkyr - high armor and hit rate with eternal war/warcry.

*Volt - more Cc focused then valkyr, needs slower builds but adds sprint speed to the buff, what affects the mobility of a hand full of stances. - potential CO frame due to electricity proccs.

*Nekros - strongest tank in the game. His shadows add utility and ranged damage to your playstyle. Got pretty good close ranged Cc and a light armor drain as well as awesome health/energy management and support. Doesn't require life strike due to that, what allows stronger builds. That Slash multiplys your desecrate loot is a little bonus too.

CO frames are:

Oberon - is able to add radiation and Puncture proccs to CO - potential mixed frame. Play CO instead of life strike to profit from both.

Saryn - is able to add viral snd toxin to CO - same as oberon.

Loki - Radiation, invisibility is a little bonus for him.

Literally any frame that adds some status works tho. Just stay away from glass cannons that don't have the relyable Cc or defensive means to make up for it.

....The honorable mentions go to Wukong and Excal. Wukongs primal fury works with combo (it doesn't allow shadow debt mods but scales with the Gladiator set passive ) and excals exalted blade is excellent for using CO (with chromatic blade that is. You loose proccs but gain basedamage and stealth multipliers by blinding, what balances the odds.)

Oh and ps.: slide attacks, "spins" work excellent with crit, or at least combined with combo and blood rush. The lets say 90% maiming strike crit chance + Y% riven slide crit chance + the Z% base crit chance make the base for Blood rush, what results in some completely broken numbers trough red crit ranks. Both status (for combo trough Relentless Combination as the hitrate is frickin low) and crit (for the crit multipliers) are pretty important here. 

The fact that the Atterax combines excellent range, a 3x crit multiplier and a 20% status chance on primary slash is what makes it THE slide melee weapon for a reason.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

On 3/17/2018 at 2:24 PM, PMR25 said:

(3) what is spin attack in general and how does it relate to melee as with higher spin attack i find i do more dmg and the opposite i do less knowing i got all speed mods max+aracane strike

8 hours ago, PMR25 said:

with reagrd to spin attacks i don't slide so i'll not be using it and like i did talk to my clan leader who said spin attacks is basically there for weps that have low crit or low status saying that tho i do use ohma and with the build i got it can go from 7k spin to 11k spin but doesn't scale into high-tier like 80's on sortie 3 and i assume that bc it's mainly electric so only corpus viable or as with this post idk enough about ohma 

Slide/Spin attacks were only ever useful when you're using melee as your "off-weapon". That is, when you primarily use guns, and only use melee as a quick backup to get out of a tight spot or wipe out a random nullifier who is cheesing your onions. Slide attacks are rapidly sinking into the void of power creep -- I used to be able to cover all my melee needs with the Dex Dakra slide attacks, but now the Boltace family out-damage it, the Ohma out-damages everything, and Maiming Strike is the current God of Melee Meta

In other words you aren't missing anything really, and can continue with the advice everyone else is giving for non-slide attack builds

Edited by TARINunit9