Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Future of the Stalker Gamemode

Voldjaw

As many already know [DE] have a Gamemode in the works where you can invade other players as the Stalker. Here is Tactical Potatos Video about it.

In my opinion this would be an amazing addition to the game, but: I don't really like the idea of taking over the control of the Stalker. A mysterious entity who is heavily story related and should stay this way.

Instead of playing the Stalker, why not invade players in favor of your own Syndicate? (If you want to be edgy, you can still play for Red Veil) This would make much more sense lore wise and wouldn't disturb Stalker being the BAMF trying to kill us while we're leveling our new equipment. Invaders would use the weapons and gear from said Syndicates, just like Stalker uses his own arsenal.

Reddit Post

Edited by VanilleOfDead

I'll repeat what I said in another thread. I don't want a player entering my game with the purpose of trying to screw me over, which is the core of this system. There is a reason most people don't play Conclave. They don't want to PvP. So leave PvP out of PvE.

Tying rewards to the system would make it even worse, as it would add incentive to go and screw with people. And while maybe it would be fun for the Stalker, it surely won't be fun for those being harassed.

I'm reminded of Left4Dead's PVP...Stalker mode would be a blast if De created a "monsters vs. players" game type for conclave using the Stalker, Zanuka, and say Bursa or Juggernaut like how players could use the Smoker, Spitter, Jockey, Boomer, and Tank to chase down the Survivors. By itself as a lone Stalker it doesn't look that fun, throw in team work between varied powered units and I think you have a Conclave game that some on the fence players would try out...but this being Warframe...I'm sure it would get ruined and would last about a week.

Placing PVP into the PVE population instead of gating it to Conclave would be a disaster though

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

4 hours ago, VanilleOfDead said:

Invaders would use the weapons and gear from said Syndicates, just like Stalker uses his own arsenal.

Oh yes, all we need is random people from Perrin Sequence invading with Penta's, or New Loka invading us with the Sancti Tigris and one shotting us with absolutely zero chance of retaliation.
That would be fun! /s

Out of all of the syndicate weapons those are the most dangerous, as they would one shot practically everything but an immortal Wukong before the target could do anything.
And what do the other syndicates get?  A boltor? A rakta cernos?  Yeah...everyone would just join Perrin and Loka and one shot the people who didn't know to join those two factions.  Way too unbalanced, even at that point.

And that's beside the problem with the frame selection...Some syndicates have good frames for this kind of thing (Such as New Loka getting Wukong who could wipe the squad with absolutely zero chance of dieing because of Defy, or what about AoH getting Equinox?  Think of that spawning in and instant, large, unavoidable bleed proc!) and some wouldn't get as many.

The idea is just way too unbalanced to be any sort of fun.

And then there are the trolling problems that would ensue (Why kill my target when I can trigger something that causes a mission failure?  After all it accomplishes the exact same goal), and the problem of the general PvE population not wanting PvP forced onto them.

2 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

-snip-

Not to mention it’s completely absurd in terms of Tenno Honour - why would a Tenno murder one of their own (besides Zanuka if you want to get technical) just because they picked the opposite side of the Syndicate menu?

Lotus is gonna be kicking a lot of Tenno ass back into shape if they start fighting each other outside of the Conclave because ‘muh side of the menu’.

It's not a "Gamemode in the works;" as others have said it was something they did for their own amusement and to make a public spectacle during a convention.  They wanted players to see something hilarious and truly unique, so they made it.  That was awesome.  But the community's reaction to it in assuming it's going to be implemented and drooling over the possibility of murdering other hapless players once they are MR25 and have nothing else to do in the game is a good example of why we can't have good things... <_<

Look.  It sounds cool and all, but it will start sounding a lot less cool when you suddenly have to endure this.  The thing that befuddles me is how empty Conclave is because it seems most people playing this game don't want PvP either in this game or in their life at all anymore because they have grown tired of tryhard competitions in video games... and yet suddenly this Stalker "game mode" was introduced and the community was up in arms about how great this would be to have added permanently.  This is just like an even more player-unfriendly version of Conclave and, well, no one plays Conclave in the first place!  Why would anyone want a version of the Conclave that gets forced upon them at unpredictable times and which disrupts their ordinary ability to complete missions, get loot, earn daily standing... effectively just do your ordinary stuff rather than under the fair agreement that all members have joined a PvP as is the case in the Conclave?

If you want PvP, do Conclave.  End of story.

If anything remotely like this is to be implemented, it has to be in a new mode that does not involve invading ordinary PvE content.  A new open world environment (since DE is not making these, this is plausible) where each syndicate has a base because of some strategic resource they are all trying to acquire or whatever lore reason you want.  Bases are heavily defended by indestructible fortifications so you can't just take over someone else's HQ.  When you go to this open world and spawn in one of your syndicate bases, you are forced to use only syndicate secondaries (since as others have pointed out, there are a couple one-shot primaries that would make this mode insufferably painful) and can then go out and do PvE missions in the open world on the caveat that other syndicate members may attack you out there to impede your progress.  Warframe abilities are changed to the Conclave variants while doing this mode.  All of this should be done only to offer optional cosmetics for syndicate gear (like say a special Cernos, Ballistica, and Dark Dagger skin for Red Veil) with standing separate from ordinary syndicate standing.  I say this because that's all that's truly "locked" behind Conclave standing for most players (a bunch of optional cosmetics) and this would be continuing that precedent rather than making people feel forced to play this mode even if they don't want to PvP just to most efficiently gather standing, or worse, get exclusive gear required for MR.

I still don't know if the above mode I have described would be popular, but I am just showing you how heavily revised this game mode would have to be and how much special attention it would require from DE to avoid being horribly toxic.  That's also why I don't expect this to ever happen.  It would be a lot of attention for a game mode that might flop based on the precedent of Conclave and which adds only cosmetics as rewards to avoid making non-PvP players feeling cheated in game that is largely advertised for its PvE.  That investment-vs-possible-reward on DE's part doesn't sound great.  Honestly, this mode could be fun (I'd have to try it to find out) but it's just too many logistics for me to find it remotely probable.  It frankly belongs in a different type of game that advertises itself for mixed PvE/PvP content (which such things exist, including most traditional MMOs).

Edited by Maganar
Fixed a punctuation mark...

(Just swap stalker for "syndicate assassin")

Another day another "Invasion" thread...

Here's the problem:

Stalker Player VS New Players -> Stalker kills everyone

Stalker Player VS Veterans -> 8 Tigris shots (or any other meta weapon) to the faces before he even gets up

Douchebag Stalker Player Vs Anyone -> Stalker targets mission objective and the mission is failed

There is no scenario where this mode would be a win for ANYONE

Also obligatory "PvP sucks and it should go away" 

7 hours ago, VanilleOfDead said:

As many already know [DE] have a Gamemode in the works where you can invade other players as the Stalker. Here is Tactical Potatos Video about it.

In my opinion this would be an amazing addition to the game, but: I don't really like the idea of taking over the control of the Stalker. A mysterious entity who is heavily story related and should stay this way.

Instead of playing the Stalker, why not invade players in favor of your own Syndicate? (If you want to be edgy, you can still play for Red Veil) This would make much more sense lore wise and wouldn't disturb Stalker being the BAMF trying to kill us while we're leveling our new equipment. Invaders would use the weapons and gear from said Syndicates, just like Stalker uses his own arsenal.

Reddit Post

How about, NO! The stalker mode is bad enough when devs decide to mess up your mission. Do you really want to enable griefers to ruin the game for everybody else?

Every game I've played, with either PvP servers or mandatory PvP it's the same. Some players just try to play the game, and some players find it funny to ruin the experience for everybody else. If you really want to throw player retention down the well and empty three crates of snarks in to be thorough, you just implement your idea.

well, i could experience it for some reason, but not in a mission, in a friend orbiter

3CBA397089258AC97A0C335431E6AFC3141AF88C

51561C72C1D914578D77FFCB9EF05A57BE050283

then went into a defense mission, guess what, that same person, i suppose, invade my squad again and was friendly, like, doesn't attacking and such, i find the concept really cool

now if it's DE who went here because of a special occasion with my friend @LunskEE which were the 3 year twitch partner anniversary, i'm glad i've been there, then again this concept is good, i'm hoping us players could try it out in the future :D

now idk if it was @[DE]Megan , @[DE]Rebecca or @[DE]Steve who wanted to say hi :3

(i hope it's in the right topic btw)

Well, much like in Dark souls, give us the option to disable PvP.....there done.

If not, then only allow stalker PvP only on public matches cuz....well it's public matchmaking. Now if the reward vs risk would worth it, then players will be fast to change their tune.

Edited by HellVOps

vor 14 Stunden schrieb WyldFyr56:

well, i could experience it for some reason, but not in a mission, in a friend orbiter

3CBA397089258AC97A0C335431E6AFC3141AF88C

51561C72C1D914578D77FFCB9EF05A57BE050283

then went into a defense mission, guess what, that same person, i suppose, invade my squad again and was friendly, like, doesn't attacking and such, i find the concept really cool

now if it's DE who went here because of a special occasion with my friend @LunskEE which were the 3 year twitch partner anniversary, i'm glad i've been there, then again this concept is good, i'm hoping us players could try it out in the future :D

now idk if it was @[DE]Megan , @[DE]Rebecca or @[DE]Steve who wanted to say hi :3

(i hope it's in the right topic btw)

Thats some interesting encounter :D