Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Council game using logo from Warframe

sixcandy

Just noticed in a youtube video that the game called The Council has the Warframe logo in the talent tree. Thinking they pulled it from google images and just put it in there game without looking at where it came from.

2018-03-18_1.png

Edited by sixcandy

32 minutes ago, sixcandy said:

Just noticed in a youtube video that the game called The Council has the Warframe logo in the talent tree. Thinking they pulled it from google images and just put it in there game without looking at where it came from.

Link? Image? More info?

Edit:
Cleaner Image:
lotus_rip_by_carnage2k4-dc69fh6.png
For Reference:
latest?cb=20130923220134

Video with Icons:

Spoiler

Edited by Carnage2K4

Yeah probably not. 

Unless DE has trademarked the image I don't see the developers of the Council being in any kind of trouble. If they had dozens of Warframe symbols/logos in their game, sure, it would be blatant plagiarism. But having one symbol that kind of (but not really) looks the same is coincidence. I mean, how many games uses a heart or a +-sign to symbolize health? That doesn't mean they ripped each other off. 

1 minute ago, rune_me said:

Yeah probably not. 

Unless DE has trademarked the image I don't see the developers of the Council being in any kind of trouble. If they had dozens of Warframe symbols/logos in their game, sure, it would be blatant plagiarism. But having one symbol that kind of (but not really) looks the same is coincidence. I mean, how many games uses a heart or a +-sign to symbolize health? That doesn't mean they ripped each other off. 

C'mon, hearts are as generic as you can get, these people literally ripped the lotus symbol (with minor edits, suggesting that they knew well enough that it's atleast a faux pas). It's right up at the top of this webpage next to warframe.

5 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Yeah probably not. 

More then liekly they have some claim to it, or the style of it. trademark law also alowes you to use an image without registering it as long as its been in usefor so many years and is recognizable. More or less, if someone can point to it and say "hey is that ____" and its not, they are using another brands image to get interest. its not that it is a lotus, its that it is the three crowned lotus thingy that DE uses in almost everything and people could confuse it for them haveing a part in that game in some way.

so ya, more then likely someone is geting sued or there is a cross promo no one has talked of yet.

generic images fall more or less into public domain. hearts are not a specific brand and have been arond so long that its not tied to a specific maker.

its the idea of a markers mark, or seal. specific seals ment quality.if you copyed it you where assuring quality the itme might not have and puting the real owner of said seal at risk of loss of repuation.

Edited by Fluff-E-Kitty

This is kinda petty. So what if another game is using Warframe's symbol? The fact that it's illegal doesn't make it that bad. Technically all of those companies taking down youtubers for 'appropriating' their music/footage is legal but that's just greedy BS. Do you really want DE to go that road?

Edited by Tellakey

7 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

C'mon, hearts are as generic as you can get, these people literally ripped the lotus symbol (with minor edits, suggesting that they knew well enough that it's atleast a faux pas). It's right up at the top of this webpage next to warframe.

I seriously doubt they ripped it off. Like I said, coincidences happens all the time. 

If it turns out that all the other symbols are ripped off from other games at well, then I'll change my mind. Otherwise, I find it very hard to believe that the designers in the Council made and designed dozens of small icons, but then for just one single small one, for some strange reason, decided to rip off the icon from another game, just this one time. That makes no sense. It's just a tiny drawn icon. It would take a designer 10-20 minutes to make it. If he/she/they made all the other icons, he/she/they probably made this one as well. 

Just now, Tellakey said:

This is kinda petty. So what if another game is using Warframe's symbol? The fact that it's illegal doesn't make it that bad. Technically all of those companies taking down youtubers for 'appropriating' their music/footage is legal but that's just greedy BS. 

There's a difference between trademark and copyright, though. If you have trademarked a logo or name, then you are actually legally required to enforce your trademark. Otherwise you loose your trademark rights in future cases. 

With copyrights, you can pick and choose where to enforce them. But with trademarks you have to or anyone can in the future use your logo (provided they can prove that DE already knew about this one and decided not to do anything about it).

4 minutes ago, rune_me said:

I seriously doubt they ripped it off. Like I said, coincidences happens all the time. 

If it turns out that all the other symbols are ripped off from other games at well, then I'll change my mind. Otherwise, I find it very hard to believe that the designers in the Council made and designed dozens of small icons, but then for just one single small one, for some strange reason, decided to rip off the icon from another game, just this one time. That makes no sense. It's just a tiny drawn icon. It would take a designer 10-20 minutes to make it. If he/she/they made all the other icons, he/she/they probably made this one as well. 

A quick google search for "running png" got me this little image so i dont think they made the rest.

55240.png

9 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

This is kinda petty. So what if another game is using Warframe's symbol? The fact that it's illegal doesn't make it that bad. Technically all of those companies taking down youtubers for 'appropriating' their music/footage is legal but that's just greedy BS. Do you really want DE to go that road?

It may seem that way, but there is a good reason for defending a trademark, this Vid is linked at the time of the explanation start but to get the entire story obviously go from the start, In this case it's about Zenimax (Bethesda) holding onto their trademark "Prey" from the game 'Prey to the Gods'.
Yeah it's petty, but legally speaking they need to uphold trademarks.

Spoiler

Edited by Carnage2K4

5 minutes ago, rune_me said:

There's a difference between trademark and copyright, though. If you have trademarked a logo or name, then you are actually legally required to enforce your trademark. Otherwise you loose your trademark rights in future cases. 

With copyrights, you can pick and choose where to enforce them. But with trademarks you have to or anyone can in the future use your logo (provided they can prove that DE already knew about this one and decided not to do anything about it).

Cool. That's new to me. So... where does this instance fall? Is it a trademark or a copyright issue?

2 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Cool. That's new to me. So... where does this instance fall? Is it a trademark or a copyright issue?

It depends on if DE has copywritten the image or trademarked it.

Joking, most likely a trademark.

Edited by aswitz87
clarification

2 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Logos and brand names are always trademarked and not copyrighted. Copyright is more for content: i.e the name of a band is trademarked, the songs that band make is copyrighted.

It's worth noting that you can of course still allow people to use your trademarked logos, provided you make an agreement beforehand or the company gives permission to do so under certain circumstances. For instance you can download the Warframe logo for use on fan sites, because DE gives special permission to do that. 

5 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

It's trademarked. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and there is a note in the footer that reads: Warframe and the Warframe logo are trademarks of Digital Extremes Ltd.