Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Council game using logo from Warframe

sixcandy

28 minutes ago, Netami said:

Don't blow this thing out of proportion >_> It's kinda funny and that's about it. It's a fun game which hopefully won't get ruined by DE suing them... over a tiny icon which was a mistake at worst.

Like I said above, I'm also pretty sure it's a mistake.

DE don't really have to sue them, all they need to do is send a cease and desist letter asking them to remove it. If the developers comply and replace the icon, that it is. There is no legal need for further action.

Of course if DE starts demanding money for units already sold, that's a different matter. Technically, they probably have the right to. But that would make them look petty and would probably have some real backlash. Not many will root for the big successful indie developer going after the small, new up-and-coming indie company for something as small as an in game icon, I think. 

1 hour ago, Netami said:

Don't blow this thing out of proportion >_> It's kinda funny and that's about it. It's a fun game which hopefully won't get ruined by DE suing them... over a tiny icon which was a mistake at worst.

They kinda have to. Legally, if they don't defend their trademark then they can lose it: look at the Games Workshop v Chapterhouse Studios case and all the changes to GW branding that followed.

the skill/perk that symbol is used for in The Council is Archaeology: how on earth does that symbol represent archaeology? if it were a Shovel or something it's make more sense.

even if I'd never heard of Warframe, I wouldn't guess that symbol had anything to do with digging up really old stuff from the ground. they probably borrowed Stock images for the game and our Lotus Symbol just sort of popped up (or one of the Devs is a fan of Warframe).

edit: my bad wasn't looking at the mouse icon in that photo.

Edited by (PS4)robotwars7

5 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

the skill/perk that symbol is used for in The Council is Archaeology: how on earth does that symbol represent archaeology? if it were a Shovel or something it's make more sense.

even if I'd never heard of Warframe, I wouldn't guess that symbol had anything to do with digging up really old stuff from the ground. they probably borrowed Stock images for the game and our Lotus Symbol just sort of popped up (or one of the Devs is a fan of Warframe).

Archaeologist is the top right one that they're hovering over, looks like a vase or a pot.

The red outline may look like the generic ''currently selected icon'', but it isn't in this game. I have no idea what talent the :lotus: one provides, although if it's a stealth one that'll be quite interesting.

Edited by DeMonkey

5 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

It's not archaeology, though. The mouse in the screencap is hovering over another icon in the upper right corner.

EDIT: lol, @DeMonkeybeat me to it.

Edited by rune_me

Actually I think it would be funny if the symbol would stay in that game and the devs would add some warframe easteregg like the minecraft cave in Borderlands 2.

Doesnt need to be that big though, could be just a hidden painting with clem on it ;) .

40 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

edit: my bad wasn't looking at the mouse icon in that photo.

The Lotus symbol in The Council is used for a talent called "Seductive"

36 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Archaeologist is the top right one that they're hovering over, looks like a vase or a pot.

The red outline may look like the generic ''currently selected icon'', but it isn't in this game. I have no idea what talent the :lotus: one provides, although if it's a stealth one that'll be quite interesting.

The Red box in the image I added to highlight the icon that was the focus of the forum.

4 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

lotus_2_by_carnage2k4-dc6cn2h.png

22 hours ago, Tellakey said:

This is kinda petty. So what if another game is using Warframe's symbol? The fact that it's illegal doesn't make it that bad. Technically all of those companies taking down youtubers for 'appropriating' their music/footage is legal but that's just greedy BS. Do you really want DE to go that road?

Rules are usually there for a reason.

6 hours ago, Netami said:

Eh, I truly doubt it was a mistake. That's one of the first things you learn as any kind of content creator (audio engineer, 3D artist ect.) - If you did not make it yourself, and did not obtain a license allowing the usage of the acquired pre-made content, do not use it. Using images off of Google is something you might expect from a random person fiddling around in a game engine, but not from a development team which develops a game for both of the major consoles and PC.

Unprofessional and sloppy. 

32 minutes ago, Jestonhomme said:

Wow, I didn't know Harvard University lawyers played this game too :poop:

You also don't need to be a Harvard lawyer to know the law just in general. Even though it's boring as hell, everyone should study the law of whatever country they live in. Especially those parts of the law that relates to you and however you make your living. Know your rights, don't just assume that others will uphold them for you.

On 18/3/2018 at 8:15 PM, Tellakey said:

This is kinda petty. So what if another game is using Warframe's symbol? The fact that it's illegal doesn't make it that bad. Technically all of those companies taking down youtubers for 'appropriating' their music/footage is legal but that's just greedy BS. Do you really want DE to go that road?

In the artistic and content creation world, things like logos, which represent whole games/sites/whatever, are actually really important, as exaggerated as it sounds. If you're making a game for profit, make your own stuff instead of taking others people hard work. As someone who tried comissioning logos as freelancer, it would be really S#&$ty when I took time designing an eye-catchy logo and a lazy #*!% comes and uses it and earn money with it. Even fi it's just an icon, they show they don't care what content their own game has or has copied from, as long as it makes them money, which is sad. When you have an art team, you make sure their work is original.

Edited by Kiwinille

Used to work in TOS for a major web hosting company - to do my job had to learn a little bit about trademark and copyright law (and DMCA, malware removal, etc, etc) - so... 

Trademarks are a big problem if you violate them by using them without explicit written permission. If you have a trademark and do not explicitly DEFEND your trademark you can lose said trademark.

That said, laws may be a little different in Canada but I'm assuming not. If that is the case DE has a legal OBLIGATION to defend their trademark. That could be as simple as issuing a takedown of the image in question or could be as severe as taking down the game.

I have nothing against the council game but when it comes to trademarks there's no defense really against them - it's not like other copyrighted materials - its pretty black and white and every time I saw a case of trademark violation in my job at TOS the person who didn't own it was more than willing to do whatever the trademark owner wanted to ensure they kept their business (website) running. Well, except for the clothing counterfeiting companies but they got permanent boots from our hosting company and IP banned...

Just my input. Feel sorry for both parties because overall it's usually a bit of a pain in the behind all around. 

Wait, it's symbol is for seductive manipulation?.. :awe:

I guess the waifu lotus pack has taken over the council.. :facepalm:

As for the trademark issue, DE could just ask them too change it if they cared at all. If the council says no then it could be an issue, but why would they choose not too? It's just a little icon. Not worth getting their game sued over, right?

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Atlantisrulez said:

Wait, it's symbol is for seductive manipulation?.. :awe:

I guess the waifu lotus pack has taken over the council.. :facepalm:

As for the trademark issue, DE could just ask them too change it if they cared at all. If the council says no then it could be an issue, but why would they choose not too? It's just a little icon. Not worth getting their game sued over, right?

Companies have sued over trademark issues for less.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Atlantisrulez said:

Yeah, I know, but what I really mean is, does DE really seem the type of company to do it or seem like it's worth it? DE is no EA. lol

They have to do something, though. Trademark law requires it, or they'll lose the trademark of the Lotus symbol.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Atlantisrulez said:

Yeah, I know, but what I really mean is, does DE really seem the type of company to do it or seem like it's worth it? DE is no EA. lol

It doesn't really matter if your the type of company that would do it or not, They have trademarked the logo which means they have to uphold the law on fighting to keep the logo. Also if the company "DE" has shareholders then they MUST do this and also have to by law do it in a way that would make money for the shareholders.