Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Council game using logo from Warframe

sixcandy

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Atlantisrulez said:

Yeah, I know your both right. Besides it the council's fault for putting in there without checking first. It would just be a bummer if DE gets hate in the gaming community for a situation the other company caused.  :lotus:

I see your point but it's not DE's fault, anyone should know even an indie company, that you have to do your due diligence when creating or using images from the internet.

Edit: They also have a Publisher: Focus Home Interactive

Edited by sixcandy

3 hours ago, Sitchrea said:

You don't have to be a Harvard lawyer to realize this is illegal.

3 hours ago, rune_me said:

You also don't need to be a Harvard lawyer to know the law just in general. Even though it's boring as hell, everyone should study the law of whatever country they live in. Especially those parts of the law that relates to you and however you make your living. Know your rights, don't just assume that others will uphold them for you.

Pardon? Are you telling me that the discussion going on in the first 2-3 pages of this thread isn't what's called "DE's player base knowing what's best by upholding the law for their developers"? The bickering makes me think DE can't uphold the law themselves, and this thread goes on and on as if they couldn't. How but y'all just... leave it alone... let the big boys handle it...

You don't have to be a Harvard Lawyer to know your place, professor Judge Judy Ph. D Sam Harris King Jr.

Edit: Before I get misconstrued AGAIN, I must say I know the law. I know is what is legal and what isn't. This should stop both irrelevant points from continuing.

Edited by Jestonhomme

21 minutes ago, Jestonhomme said:

Pardon? Are you telling me that the discussion going on in the first 2-3 pages of this thread isn't what's called "DE's player base knowing what's best by upholding the law for their developers"? The bickering makes me think DE can't uphold the law themselves, and this thread goes on and on as if they couldn't. How but y'all just... leave it alone... let the big boys handle it...

You don't have to be a Harvard Lawyer to know your place, professor Judge Judy Ph. D Sam Harris King Jr.

Edit: Before I get misconstrued AGAIN, I must say I know the law. I know is what is legal and what isn't. This should stop both irrelevant points from continuing.

People discussing things in a General Discussion thread?

What an absolute travesty. I must take offence to this at once, and not only will I be affronted by such a heinous act, I shall post in the thread and tell everyone about it.

Just... don't. You add nothing.

Your edit is beyond arrogant.

1 hour ago, sixcandy said:

I see your point but it's not DE's fault, anyone should know even an indie company, that you have to do your due diligence when creating or using images from the internet.

Edit: They also have a Publisher: Focus Home Interactive

History shows that if a bigger companies sues a small fish, public opinion is almost always on the little guys side, regardless of who's fault it is. We all love rooting for the underdog.

If DE goes quietly about it and just send a cease and desist, I doubt anyone will even notice it happening. If they start threatening with courtrooms and demanding money, they'll get a lot of public hate, I think.

32 minutes ago, Jestonhomme said:

HAHAHAHAHA.....

This is a forum thread, a place for people to talk about the item in the thread, which in this case is the clear use of an icon of Digital Extremes property being used by Big Bad Wolf's The Council.

The way people talk about this is in this thread is there own opinion and not Digital Extremes, so if they want to speculate on how this could play out, then let them talk about it and they might learn a couple of things about the law and other points of interest.

18 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

People discussing things in a General Discussion thread?

What an absolute travesty. I must take offence to this at once, and not only will I be affronted by such a heinous act, I shall post in the thread and tell everyone about it.

Just... don't. You add nothing.

Your edit is beyond arrogant.

Offense! No. Heinous? I see opinions (that people have enough knowledge to argue for a bigger company)  and it's great! But my two cents on the matter? Nope, shun that out and mock the being.

I see.

3 minutes ago, sixcandy said:

HAHAHAHAHA.....

This is a forum thread, a place for people to talk about the item in the thread, which in this case is the clear use of an icon of Digital Extremes property being used by Big Bad Wolf's The Council.

The way people talk about this is in this thread is there own opinion and not Digital Extremes, so if they want to speculate on how this could play out, then let them talk about it and they might learn a couple of things about the law and other points of interest.

I like everything about this post except the "Hahaha". I like "lol" better

I didn't see it in this regard. The subject pertains to and discusses legalities and clearly the game doesn't describe those as an added feature, so do you get my point? My apologies for not seeing one another being educated. That's actually beneficial if the ones being educated are resourceful to confirm these points.

17 minutes ago, Jestonhomme said:

Offense! No. Heinous? I see opinions (that people have enough knowledge to argue for a bigger company)  and it's great! But my two cents on the matter? Nope, shun that out and mock the being.

I see.

I like everything about this post except the "Hahaha". I like "lol" better

I didn't see it in this regard. The subject pertains to and discusses legalities and clearly the game doesn't describe those as an added feature, so do you get my point? My apologies for not seeing one another being educated. That's actually beneficial if the ones being educated are resourceful to confirm these points.

Yes, I get your point that it is not for us to condemn or rule on the offending company for the use of this image, that is for Digital Extremes to do if they want or must do. But the main reason I posted the information on this forum is I believe that any news should be shared and this was the best place to share this piece of news, which I also shared directly with Digital Extremes.

Also, this is a forum website, not the Warframe game software, so really discussing anything including legalities is a feature of this website.

Edit: Just FYI there is a difference between HaHa and LOL 

HaHa: I/We’re Laughing at You

LOL: I/We’re Laughing With You

Edited by sixcandy

Yeah, I'm sure DE isn't too much of a stickler about those kinds of things, but that is just outright stealing if they hadn't talked to them about it. I think the worst part is that given the way DE is to us fans about their things, they would have had no issue with the image being used for that game if those developers worked it out for a bit.

2 minutes ago, Gabenight7 said:

Yeah, I'm sure DE isn't too much of a stickler about those kinds of things, but that is just outright stealing if they hadn't talked to them about it. I think the worst part is that given the way DE is to us fans about their things, they would have had no issue with the image being used for that game if those developers worked it out for a bit.

Thing is that if it was worked out between them for Big Bad Wolf to use the image, it would have had a promotion with it of some kind, at least I would think so.

On 3/18/2018 at 12:15 PM, Tellakey said:

This is kinda petty. So what if another game is using Warframe's symbol? The fact that it's illegal doesn't make it that bad. Technically all of those companies taking down youtubers for 'appropriating' their music/footage is legal but that's just greedy BS. Do you really want DE to go that road?

Its not that DE would necessarily like to go down that road. But not defending it now they lose the chance to do it later.

On 3/19/2018 at 1:32 PM, rune_me said:

It's that Lotus cleavage I tell you. Works like a charm.

Jokes aside, it's actually a reference to the lotus flower of Greek mythology, that would dull eaters of it. Those people were called "lotus-eaters". I fully understand why they were looking for a lotus symbol, but they really should've done their homework to ensure they weren't infringing on trademarks. DE definitely should take action, but they can do so behind the scenes in a way that doesn't cause any harm to their reputation. Taking action and not damaging their reputation are not mutually-exclusive.

Also, to make it especially clear for those who are so concerned about DE's reputation: no lasting damage will be done to their reputation if they publicly pursue legal action, especially since most of their reputation is something that is of concern to this community, and not of concern to the rest of the gaming industry. Their trademark is more important than their reputation.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

4 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Jokes aside, it's actually a reference to the lotus flower of Greek mythology, that would dull eaters of it. Those people were called "lotus-eaters".

Nice one, didn't know the reference to the lotus symbol.

19 hours ago, sixcandy said:

Also if the company "DE" has shareholders then they MUST do this and also have to by law do it in a way that would make money for the shareholders.

IANAL, but from what I've pieced together, there's a lot more to it than that, and this idea that businesses must do whatever they can to enrich shareholders is not completely founded in law.  There are case laws that put a duty of board members to maximize profits, but no actual law that would be violated if board members fail to do so.  Additionally, company mission statements can supersede as can business decisions made (i.e. the board could conclude that the negative PR would outweigh any prospective profit earned in taking drastic action against a smaller company).  

16 hours ago, _Vortus_ said:

Could be the other dev team giving DE a nod, a sort of Easter egg for warframe aficionados, for their good work and great game.    DE has some in warframe, and other games have them as well, nods to things they like or enjoy.

Outright ripping the franchise logo is not a nod. There's nothing Warframy about it.

16 hours ago, _Vortus_ said:

Could be the other dev team giving DE a nod, a sort of Easter egg for warframe aficionados, for their good work and great game.    DE has some in warframe, and other games have them as well, nods to things they like or enjoy.

It’s basically considered fan art until the point that you start making a profit from someone else’s work. In this case they can’t really claim to be giving DE the nod while profiting from their designs (or when the game launches).

Edited by S0V3REiGN

3 hours ago, S0V3REiGN said:

It’s basically considered fan art until the point that you start making a profit from someone else’s work. In this case they can’t really claim to be giving DE the nod while profiting from their designs (or when the game launches).

3 hours ago, Sitchrea said:

Outright ripping the franchise logo is not a nod. There's nothing Warframy about it.

Depends on how similar it is, usage and intent.   Fair use and Parody covers alot of things.  

1 hour ago, _Vortus_ said:

Depends on how similar it is, usage and intent.   Fair use and Parody covers alot of things.  

You're thinking of copyright law, trademarks are far stricter. If DE doesn't do something about this (either legal action or clarify that it was used with permission) they risk losing their trademark.

57 minutes ago, ArcaninePrime said:

Reb needs to take em to court.

The Community Director needs to take them to court???
You do know that DE is more than just one person right??
And that the entire thing is to avoid court... which is a waste of money.

Why is this even a discussion? Not one person here is a lawyer and even if there is not one person here has any clue about the legalities of the logo and/or whether it was properly obtained for use in the game. 

OP could have simply reported it instead of making a needless discussion about it.

On 3/21/2018 at 4:51 PM, DogManDan said:

Why is this even a discussion? Not one person here is a lawyer and even if there is not one person here has any clue about the legalities of the logo and/or whether it was properly obtained for use in the game. 

OP could have simply reported it instead of making a needless discussion about it.

1. because it's interesting to some.
2. you don't need to be a lawyer to do the following things: Read, Watch channels like Lenard French, Follow other similar law suits in the industry from the many various sources that report on it.

We might not be lawyers (not that you actually know who is reading), but it's pretty easy to infer what will happen given what normally happens in these types of situations, because this is pretty commonplace.