Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rework Nyx

InappropriateName534099

I came up with this on the spot:

Take Mind Control off a flat duration and instead have it drain energy.

Have it follow you around and allow it to be commanded like a specter.

Psychic Bolts,

I feel like at least raise the chance of proc'ing the passive for it

other wise it needs to be replaced entirely

And over all Nyx needs to be faster, to get into a position and back out and what not.

maybe not Loki fast, but faster then Excalibur for certain

3 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

whats wrong with it? its awesome. auto target, slash procs, damage, fast cast animation. its a room clearer for sure.

you do know theres other planets after earth right?

edit: also aside from the 50%status chance for rad procs, its completely inferior to Ash's Shuriken

Edited by TKDancer

6 minutes ago, TKDancer said:

you do know theres other planets after earth right?

edit: also aside from the 50%status chance for rad procs, its completely inferior to Ash's Shuriken

you do know you can learn how to use frames right?

Just now, Zhoyzu said:

whats wrong with it? its awesome. auto target, slash procs, damage, fast cast animation. its a room clearer for sure.

Just now, Zhoyzu said:

k

Just now, Zhoyzu said:

Nyx is not known for damage, and Psychic bolts is a damage focused ability

Most Nyx builds feature range and duration with strength not being considered at all.

6 bolts of small amounts of slash damage and a 50% AoE rad proc is nothing compared to a 50m 45s lasting chaos in a crowded room

and repeated castings of Bolts to take down a bombard is wasted energy when it could be turned into your ally for literally half the cost

Basically put, anything Pscyhic Bolts could do, Nyx's other abilities could do better or produce better results

If the bolt count could start increasing based on stats that would be another matter entirely.

FWIW, some of my ideas on improving Nyx:

Mind Control - if an enemy stores up lethal (Squad) damage while under MC,
they count as dead for the purposes of Defense / Exterminate / whatnot plus drop their loot,
and then the MC effect becomes permanent, with a Hold function to release.
(Maybe allow multiple MC targets, even.)
I mean, if Nekros can have e.g. Bursas and Bombard Eximi tag along indefinitely,
one MC victim (or two, or three, maybe possibly pretty please) that'll still die to enemy attacks isn't that over the top.

Psychic Bolts - how 'bout ... enemies affected (for X duration) find themselves unable to attack Nyx and her allies,
even stray bullets and AoE stuff (aimed at other enemies while under Chaos) won't affect your Squad.

Chaos - pretty much fine as-is, add synergy with Psychic Bolts in that PB'd enemies get a damage boost against Chaos'd ones.
Remove the shrinkage from the Augment.

Absorb - remove the additional Energy drain for every 1k damage (e.g. Maim / Mallet doesn't have that)
as well as the Range penalty from the Augment, the snail movement (and Mod slot used) is penalty enough.
Maybe a bit more base Range / less damage falloff / have it take on the damage types that fueled it (yay ally fire).

Passive - removing it entirely would be better than what we have now
as I actually kind of want Chaos'd enemies to shoot each other (and my Absorb bubble),
plus e.g. doing a Chaos stun -> Mind Control combo only to end up MC-ing a disarmed Bombard ... yeah thanks.
So, dunno what to replace it with, maybe ...

- lowering enemy accuracy / giving Nyx & allies increased evasion within Affinity Range
(could be explained by both her telekinetic as well as telepathic powers)

- enemies within Affinity Range that are about to attack Nyx / allies
have a small chance to get Chaos'd (including the stun even if they're already Chaos'd)

- something much better :P

8 minutes ago, ViolaRecluse said:

Nyx is not known for damage, and Psychic bolts is a damage focused ability

Most Nyx builds feature range and duration with strength not being considered at all.

6 bolts of small amounts of slash damage and a 50% AoE rad proc is nothing compared to a 50m 45s lasting chaos in a crowded room

and repeated castings of Bolts to take down a bombard is wasted energy when it could be turned into your ally for literally half the cost

Basically put, anything Pscyhic Bolts could do, Nyx's other abilities could do better or produce better results

If the bolt count could start increasing based on stats that would be another matter entirely.

all im seeing is a lack of people fully understanding the tools theyve been given. nyx is one hell of a damage frame.

Ive been using nyx and nyx prime before most of these people acting like bolts is bad have been playing WF

20 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

lmao what could that even mean in this context

i know how to press 2, and i know that the dmg that happens when i do that with nyx is bad

Edited by TKDancer

2 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

the issue is actually you just wouldnt be able to comprehend what im saying rather than the content of the explanation.

Well, don't rule out any other parties who might be interested.  I would like to know where you're coming from, for one.

22 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

all im seeing is a lack of people fully understanding the tools theyve been given. nyx is one hell of a damage frame.

Ive been using nyx and nyx prime before most of these people acting like bolts is bad have been playing WF

I would build a Strength Nyx, focusing solely on psychic bolts, like this'

Energy Siphon

Power Drift

Transient Fortitude

Intensify

Fleeting expertise (rank 4 of 5)

Streamline (rank 4 of 5)

Primed Continuity

Natural Talent

Redirection

That would leave Psychic Bolts at 12.5 energy to cast to deal 400 slash damage and 30 radiation damage AoE at 10% and 50% chance to proc respectively. 

If you're confident in your parkour, Redirection can be swapped out for Primed Flow to boost energy reserves from 225 to 637 at max rank.

or Primed continuity can be dropped entirely for a min max experience and add something to suit your style

The idea being using bolts constantly and banking on the rad procs more than your other abilities, as their duration has been cut by 77.5%.

Considering this, this build could theoretically do wonders in a one on one situation, considering auto-targeting and terrain ignorance

but in a mob focused environment it begins to suffer, especially against infested with it's overwhelming numbers mentality.

Again, if the bolt count could start scaling of stats, it would do wonders for this simple ability that falls a tad short

Edit:

Huh, Nyx is faster than Excalibur: 1.1 compared to 1.0 respectively

Edited by ViolaRecluse
additional comment

Coming back to this, I've always felt one thing was off in her kit.  Why is mind control her first power, and psychic bolts her second?  It feels backwards to me.  (but yes, psychic bolts is an awesome ability that needs a little polish.)

I actually just deleted my NYX loadout to make room because I haven't bothered to play her in so long. Some ideas:

Mind Control:

Mind Control's augment should be baseline (which would also give power strength a baseline use for the ability) and a new augment created instead. Augments are supposed to change the way you play in some way. This one is just a damage buff.

I like the idea of removing duration for mind control. I don't think it would even need a drain, certainly not one that disabled regen. Just make the mind controlled targets not count towards things like defense rounds while being controlled. Then you can either use mind control to CC specific targets and switch it when you want, or you can just have a pet you like for the duration of a mission. 

To give duration a purpose for mind control and to add more to her kit, Mind Control could have two functions (one activated via quick press, one long-press). One to take control or release a target, the other to provide a temporary buff to her mind controlled target. Duration can increase the duration of that buff. You could do any number of things with the buff. Taking inspiration from Emma's Inspire Minion in Marvel Heroes, it could turn your mind controlled target into a higher threat target (like a mallet) while also providing a percent based healing effect and/or enhancing damage or speed. 

An alternative idea to the secondary function of the ability could be to create a temporary link between NYX and her minion that transfers a portion of damage taken to her minion. Her survival outside of Absorb is non-existent, so adding a better survival mechanic could be nice. 

I know they probably wouldn't do this, but it would be neat if you could even keep an MCed target between missions and essentially have your own mind controlled slave indefinitely if you wanted (similar to how Emma's mind control worked in Marvel Heroes). Since this game has endless modes and the minion's level is just the enemies level rather than scaling with you and staying at your level, they could code it in a way so that the level just automatically scales to the maximum level of the area you're in rather than letting you take a level 100+ enemy everywhere. In endless missions it would just scale up as time went on. They could even let you have your NYX MC target hang out on your ship! 

edit: If they did go with a permanent pet option they could make the ability to MC be on a long-press and take a few seconds to take over the mind of the target so it was less likely that you accidentally release an old pet you didn't want to let go. The pets could also leash to you if you get to far away so they don't get left behind. They could also either let you revive them when they go down or give a short delay before they auto revive as they did in MH. 

Psychic Bolts:

This ability looks neat but has never been widely used or served much of a purpose outside of to the one person I've ever seen try to claim it was an amazing ability, which is in this very thread (still waiting with bated breath for them to post a build and prove to the world that it's a sleeper OP ability). 

One idea for this ability could be to simply replace it with another ability since it isn't especially useful anyway. They could even just take the secondary function I suggested for MC and make it into its own ability to buff/link with your MC target and it'd be a more useful ability than Psychic Bolts.

Since they may not want to go to the trouble of making a new ability or want to upset the people who like bolts, another idea would to add synergy would be that while MCing a target, bolts are unleashed from both NYX and her MCed target, effectively doubling the number of bolts. It would also need some kind of scaling buff before most people ever bothered using it. 

Chaos:

This is the main reason I use to use NYX. I'd leave it mostly alone outside of maybe adding a synergy with other abilities possibly. 

Absorb

It might be somewhat redundant to have a mass CC like Chaos, potentially a taunting MC if they changed it the way I suggested and then another ability that now causes mobs to change targets to focus you. Maybe add a secondary function where if you long-press, it creates an absorb on your MC target instead of you. That way you can have them focus your MC and continue to take other actions while storing damage rather than being stuck in an absorb yourself (without having to use an augment slot for a really slow moving version).

Passive:

I also agree that they should get rid of the disarm passive. It isn't very helpful and actually makes your abilities less effective potentially.

Random new passive suggestions (buff ones would be redundant if they replaced bolts with a buff that scaled with influenced targets):

Hive Mind: For every enemy under the influence of either Chaos or Mind Control, NYX gains X% damage.

Hypnotic Suggestion: Enemies will notice NYX at a reduced distance and are less likely to attack her if there are other targets available. 

Coordinated Effort: Whenever NYX or a target under her influence (this would count both Chaos and MC) hit a target, they receive a X% damage debuff (stacks from multiple targets but not more than once from the same target). You could potentially include all party members in affinity range as well if you wanted. 

Telepathic Awareness (name stolen from MH): NYX gains 20m enemy radar. While not moving, NYX focuses her senses, highlighting all enemies within 20m. 

Telepathic Drain (another name stolen from MH): For every enemy affected by Chaos or MC, NYX gains X health regeneration per second (could have a cap). 

Neural Network (another name stolen!): Whenever a target under NYX's influence dies, she gains X energy. 

Edited by Borg1611

On 3/20/2018 at 4:01 AM, NezuHimeSama said:

Only thing that needs changing is psychic bolts and her awful passive.

Really, I think everyone is just scrambling to make a QQ case for their favorite frame.

Nah my favorite frame is Excalibur but I do like Nyx and I really think she needs some changes. The only reason she hasn't been given buffs is because no one even pays attention to her.