The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Host Migration Abuse?

boysenbeary

So I went in to do sortie 1 today, and all 4 of us reach extraction

Then suddenly, HOST MIGRATION, the host left the squad

Extracted back to orbiter, and post mission results are completely blank

That glitched out the UI so I had to log back in

When I got back, Sortie 1 was marked as unfinished, and Sortie 2 was not unlocked

In the chat I saw "I really hate this map" from the host who left

Is there a possible solution to this?

Unfortunately it's easy for a player for force host migration by temporarily disconnecting form the internet, then reconnecting while their PC is searching for network. I've had this happen to me a number of times: objective complete, and suddenly *poof* host migration for my squad and I either splinter off to a new session (minus all rewards on end of mission screen) or it fails and I'm back at my Liset.

The only solutions are to recruit a trusted squad, or try to be host yourself, or run solo.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)VaNiDgE said:

I guess put him in your ignore list so you dont pair up with them again. 

Ignore just stops you from recieving or viewing chat messages from a player, you can still be matched with them in a game.

One of the more irritating things is the whole Host quit/migration right at the start of a game.

Edited by Nova73

Just wanted to add: one time I was in a group farming for that Octavia part that requires 20 minutes in Orokin Derelict Survival, and the host got annoyed because he couldn't get everyone to cooperate in helping him do his riven challenge there.  At 19:55 or so, he manages to leave in a way that kicked the other three of us back to the orbiter with nothing from the mission.  And it was most definitely intentional because when I tried messaging him, he had already had me blocked.

I didn't think this was possible.  In any case, it shouldn't be possible, and any failure of host migration for whatever reason should give the remaining players the benefit of the doubt (i.e. at least give the mission drops or something).

5 minutes ago, visiblenoise said:

Just wanted to add: one time I was in a group farming for that Octavia part that requires 20 minutes in Orokin Derelict Survival, and the host got annoyed because he couldn't get everyone to cooperate in helping him do his riven challenge there.  At 19:55 or so, he manages to leave in a way that kicked the other three of us back to the orbiter with nothing from the mission.  And it was most definitely intentional because when I tried messaging him, he had already had me blocked.

I didn't think this was possible.  In any case, it shouldn't be possible, and any failure of host migration for whatever reason should give the remaining players the benefit of the doubt (i.e. at least give the mission drops or something).

probably pulled and reconnected his net cable, I know its how people who were hosting used to Troll boot players from the old void key missions.

And derelicts still use the same system if im not correct, (DE really should open up the derelicts like they did with Void)

Edited by Nova73

9 minutes ago, Nova73 said:

probably pulled and reconnected his net cable

Or like... they just left from the menu....  That often leads to host migration which in turn sometimes fails and sends everybody back to the lander.  You don't need to pull cords to do it - the game just has to fail to assign a new host, which it is notorious for.  

Quite frankly I think a host should have a star on their UI during public missions, with atleast one other player, so they know they're host - and then if they still knowingly leave, they shouldn't be allowed to host another game (other than solo) for 10-20 minutes.  It won't totally fix the migration problem but it would be a deterrent to people who leave at stupid times to try and prove a point.

I know I go through it alot, some jerk leaves a mission at wave 13 or something stupid and you lose all that progress.  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cookieknife said:

No there isn’t. DE will NOT provide compensation either

its a big hole in the game 

Compensation? For what? The five minutes of your life you spend running that mission? I now it's hard, but somehow I feel you'll pull through...

1 hour ago, rune_me said:

Compensation? For what? The five minutes of your life you spend running that mission? I now it's hard, but somehow I feel you'll pull through...

5 minutes may not be too much, but what if it was several hours instead? 

3 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

Why would you ever play a mission for several hours? I know there's people doing it, but I don't consider them to be sane :-)

Besides, if you want to go for 3 hours in a mission, you probably don't randomly jump into a public game and hope that everyone else also wants that.

29 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Why would you ever play a mission for several hours? I know there's people doing it, but I don't consider them to be sane :-)

Besides, if you want to go for 3 hours in a mission, you probably don't randomly jump into a public game and hope that everyone else also wants that.

I don't do those long missions , but I know some do. I've also heard tales of a seemingly normal recruited squad where a player is secretly a troll and forces a crash hours in. 

5 hours ago, rune_me said:

Because not every run is 5 minutes

not every mission is permanent 

you don’t want to waste a whole night on the eidolons if you’re just going to get your rewards reaper 

OH and that’s happened to me a couple times

host migration leaves me rewardless.

thats awful saying “well I’d rather not have my rewards because it was just 5 minutes” 

a lot of things can happen in 5 minutes 

let alone 20+ the tridolons take 

3 hours ago, cookieknife said:

Because not every run is 5 minutes

not every mission is permanent 

you don’t want to waste a whole night on the eidolons if you’re just going to get your rewards reaper 

OH and that’s happened to me a couple times

host migration leaves me rewardless.

thats awful saying “well I’d rather not have my rewards because it was just 5 minutes” 

a lot of things can happen in 5 minutes 

let alone 20+ the tridolons take 

Of course a lot can happen in 5 minutes, but in the greater scheme of thing, nothing of any importance will happen while you play Warframe (or any other videogame). You're not building a rocket to take us all to Mars or finding a cure for cancer here, you're just playing a game. If you loose 20 minutes, you have lost absolutely nothing.

I spend 30 minutes hunting the tridolons the other day. Just at the 30 minute mark, the game crashed. How I survived? I waited for it to become night on Cetus again, then I tried again and this time succeeded without a crash. In a game where there is absolutely no consequences to failing a mission and you can retry as many times as you want, it really doesn't matter. If you had lost you gear or credits, or there had been some penalty for dying or failing, that would have been a different story. But there is not.

3 hours ago, rune_me said:

Of course a lot can happen in 5 minutes, but in the greater scheme of thing, nothing of any importance will happen while you play Warframe (or any other videogame). You're not building a rocket to take us all to Mars or finding a cure for cancer here, you're just playing a game. If you loose 20 minutes, you have lost absolutely nothing.

I spend 30 minutes hunting the tridolons the other day. Just at the 30 minute mark, the game crashed. How I survived? I waited for it to become night on Cetus again, then I tried again and this time succeeded without a crash. In a game where there is absolutely no consequences to failing a mission and you can retry as many times as you want, it really doesn't matter. If you had lost you gear or credits, or there had been some penalty for dying or failing, that would have been a different story. But there is not.

Also, if DE allowed us to just keep rewards after leaving missions prematurely, then people could/WOULD cheese that to farm stuff without beating bosses, etc. 

There is no easy solution to this, the reason is because DE insists, like so many modern gaming companies, on forcing the hosting burden onto the players. As long as that is the case, there will be no fix for this that isn't complicated and creates unintended problems or consequences. 

11 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

There is no easy solution to this [snip]

Not necessarily true, and DE provides forums for us to discuss matters like this and brainstorm solutions.

Better netcode for session recovery after host migration alone could fix this. If a host does lose connection (purposefully or not) there is no reason why one of the remaining squad members cannot be chosen as a replacement host. If the original comes back online, they can then be given a choice to rejoin their former squad or not.

Splintering squads after a host migration should be an option. Personally, I would rather be dumped into a solo session after host migration so I at least have the chance to try and complete the mission myself instead of the game arbitrarily saying "Sorry, you lose everything and have to redo."

Edited by DaftMeat

В 20.03.2018 в 08:37, Miser_able сказал:

You can randomly disconnect without host being responsible for it. I used to disconnect several times in defense mission that last more than 20-30 waves and seen other players disconnecting.

Which means ridiculous proposals to "punish" hosts for god knows why are poitless and useless. This however isn't - 

Цитата

Splintering squads after a host migration should be an option. Personally, I would rather be dumped into a solo session after host migration so I at least have the chance to try and complete the mission myself instead of the game arbitrarily saying "Sorry, you lose everything and have to redo."

Logged in just for this. Yeah, I think it's getting worse too. In the past week I've been migrated and dropped right at the end of Eidolon hunts, either right when we were about to kill it, or when heading back to Cetus. This is a huge demoralizer that turns the most fun part of the game (to me) into the most damaging. Just losing 20-40 minutes of effort and concentration because some jerkoff kid thinks its funny to desync and get the rest of the party dropped is making people put down the game. When it happens to me, I don't feel like playing again for a while...if it keeps happening, I don't see the reason to keep coming back at all.