Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove console from forum names

(PSN)Carnatus

Pretty short and simple request. (PS4)Carnatus is ugly, compared to just "Carnatus" which it would be if I was on a PC account

It feels unnecessary too, especially since it says "PSN Member" underneath. For those who for whatever reason like having this in their profile name, could be a toggle on off feature?

I've suggested this before, among other name related suggestions, in the general section- pretty sure I requested the ability to change names for plat, which is now doable, so seems they listened to that at least...just figured I should re-suggest it, now that I know where feedback is actually supposed to go...

Incidentally, I read somewhere Playstation is working on making name changes possible. Took them long enough...(bit of side note, sorry)

2 hours ago, (PS4)Buyukbaba said:

This is my first post and my nickname will show up as (PS4)Buyukbaba?

Indeed it will, and it has.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Buyukbaba said:

This could be handled much more practically like for example coloring the nicks as blue and green and black etc.. I am surprised :)

It's ridiculous right? It's like they don't think there will be people out there who...I don't know...care about aesthetics, at all?

Then again, most of the people who play this game have just AWFUL, awful handles. Even you...no offence intended, really.

Then again, I suppose some could criticize mine as well. "Weird latin word that means "Fat/Corpulent"? Really?"

But at least it means something, isn't a misspelling, named after a pre-existing (usually anime) character, has numbers and special characters in it, etc.

Your colors idea is actually really good. Xbox could be green, Playstation blue (to match their logos, or at least their current logos) and PC could...just stay normal.

xbox-one-x-ps4-pro-nintendo-switch-what-
Interesting, how they've color coded themselves like this...

Edited by (PS4)Carnatus
updated

7 hours ago, DarcosRoyal said:

When the account is created on the forums, it will need something to differentiate users.

The forum also checks if a name is taken when the name is changed. 

As of the color idea, it will escalate things

Name changing isn't relevant to this, that was a side note about something I had suggested before alongside this idea that had been implemented. I tend to digress, pardon.

Escalate what things? A lot of this doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

1 hour ago, DarcosRoyal said:
  • To @ somebody you might get 3 people with the same name.

Unless they made it so if a name if taken on one platform- it can't be used on any others.

A name reclaim might be in order.

After all, regardless of which console you play on- you need a Warframe account to play.

• Giving colors to users based on platform will raise the suggestion of other colors like "contest winners" etc
  • Staff members already have their role colored

- and this matters, because?

• The brackets can't be used in names

Uh huh. What does that have to do with anything being discussed here?

• The forum sees the "PSN Member" just as a role.

Uh huh. And?

Edited by (PS4)Carnatus
typo

1 minute ago, DarcosRoyal said:

Uh...

Colored names will just gain other various and the intended purpose will be forgotten.

The forum doesn't know that you are a console player aside from the brackets. That role is for users to identify. 

Those 3 platforms don't have anything in common for the forum to make names unique.

Well, the colors were just that other guy's idea anyway. I personally liked it.

Either way, the role alone should be enough. If it says PSN Member underneath my name, it doesn't need to say it in brackets before my name.

It's ugly.

48 minutes ago, DarcosRoyal said:

Do you want PS4 servers to check PC and Xbox servers if a name is taken everytime a new player makes an account ?

That feels unnecessary. When you first load up the game on the PS4 or Xbox One, you create a Warframe account. So why can't it just check with the Warframe site to see whether the name has been taken or not?

Actually, I'm pretty sure my account was just automatically created using my PSN info. Why couldn't it be just like creating a PC account, where I'd enter my DOB and email and password, and then pick a name?

11 hours ago, DarcosRoyal said:

Don't you already have the answer of why it's an inconvenience?

If I did, would I be asking?

11 hours ago, DarcosRoyal said:

Your account was made automatically using your PSN info, PSN is working on name changes. If a name is taken on PC, you wouldn't be able to use it on PSN. 

You are playing on the PSN platform, that has its own authentication.

- and I asked, why is it like that? Why can't we create an account, carefully check our information and change it if necessary, and choose our names? Some unfortunate people chose horrible, horrible PSN names- why were they locked into also using those horrible names on Warframe? (I was a bit more careful, myself- and even I kinda hate my PSN name now)

At the end of the day, none of the how and why matters to me. I just know there's gotta be a better way of doing it, and I know the (console)name setup is ugly as hell. They just gotta rework that at some point.

18 hours ago, DarcosRoyal said:

Don't you already have the answer of why it's an inconvenience ?

Your account was made automatically using your PSN info, PSN is working on name changes. If a name is taken on PC, you wouldn't be able to use it on PSN. 

You are playing on the PSN platform, that has its own authentification.

I donot want to escalate things here but, there is a simple solution through the UI here if anyone have the same account name on different platforms, like me. Buyukbaba is registered both in PSN and Xbox live. This page can create and option as "main platform" and lets you choose whichever you want. simple as this. Then site decides for the colour accordingly.

Actually, I am not obsessed with the ugliness of my nick name on this website, but there may be some others who are. Would i prefer another style in comparison to the current one? Yes. But it is not that important.

I replied to this thread because this type of interesting differentiation was the first time i came across until now. Because, nicknames are personal preference all over the world. As a more striking example, I would not want PSN automatically change my nickname as PS4Buyukbaba or PS3Buyukbaba for different platforms etc..

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Buyukbaba said:

I donot want to escalate things here but, there is a simple solution through the UI here if anyone have the same account name on different platforms, like me. Buyukbaba is registered both in PSN and Xbox live. This page can create and option as "main platform" and lets you choose whichever you want. simple as this. Then site decides for the colour accordingly.

Actually, I am not obsessed with the ugliness of my nick name on this website, but there may be some others who are. Would i prefer another style in comparison to the current one? Yes. But it is not that important.

I replied to this thread because this type of interesting differentiation was the first time i came across until now. Because, nicknames are personal preference all over the world. As a more striking example, I would not want PSN automatically change my nickname as PS4Buyukbaba or PS3Buyukbaba for different platforms etc..

Don't worry about "escalating" anything, just speak what's on your mind. If people take issue, that's on them.

Personally, I just want everything to be aesthetically pleasing, so however that's accomplished I don't really care- so long as it's accomplished in a way that doesn't create more problems for me to bemoan. I'm not gonna pretend to understand UI or programming, I'm just saying- it's a problem, and I'd be thrilled if it was fixed.

I'm sure others aren't fond of it either- maybe they aren't as bothered about it as I am, maybe they just endure it, maybe they deliberately try not to think about it, but whatever- it just sucks, you know?

9 hours ago, DarcosRoyal said:

The forum name is linked with the in-game one. You can see the platinum balance and recieve promo codes with it

- and use glyphs that you've purchased.

Prior when I've suggested this change, others have suggested that I simply create a PC account and use that to interact on the forums, but it is indeed important that the forum account you use is your game account that you play with and make purchases on.

But nevermind all that, the only change I'm proposing is to remove the brackets and console thing. I don't know why things are this way, I don't care, it's ugly and there has to be a better way. That's what I'm gonna keep circling back to.

I want my name to be displayed just like it is for PC players- Carnatus. Not (PS4)Carnatus, not whatever the Xbox equivalent is, just my online handle- that's it.

It's ugly, and there has to be a better way. That's it.

Maybe a better alternative is a symbol instead of the (PS4) or (XB1).

Could be a simply white Xbox or PS4 logo for the dark theme and a black one for the default.

The account name would still have the PS4 or XB1 tag, but it can be setup to have it swap out the parentheses section with a symbol when it comes to the forums.

...on a completely unrelated note...

What's with the incorrect capitalization for "Xbox One" on the forum "XBox One & PS4: Trading Post"? Microsoft uses "Xbox" not "XBox" lol.

Edited by Sean

2 hours ago, Sean said:

...on a completely unrelated note...

What's with the incorrect capitalization for "Xbox One" on the forum "XBox One & PS4: Trading Post"? Microsoft uses "Xbox" not "XBox" lol.

I've fixed this atrocity. 

20 hours ago, [DE]Drew said:

Someone can have the same account name on two different platforms. Our forum database is platform agnostic, so the prefix makes sure two forum accounts cannot be created with the exact same name.

Yeah, no, I got that- but that system sucks.

Come on Drew, I follow your Twitter. All those UI and text change and lighting related stuff? I thought if anyone would understand how little stuff like this matters, you would.

Oh wait no, that's Steve Sinclair's thing- nevermind. Mental mixup.

On 4/6/2018 at 8:45 AM, Gandergear said:

Its fine as is

You do realize that as a PC player you have absolutely zero say on whether this is fine or not right? This isn't a problem affecting you.

Even if several Xbox One and PS4 players come here and say they personally don't care, that doesn't make it any less of a problem for me and no doubt countless other less vocal people who have probably just accepted it because they can't do anything to change it.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Carnatus said:

You do realize that as a PC player you have absolutely zero say on whether this is fine or not right? This isn't a problem affecting you.

Even if several Xbox One and PS4 players come here and say they personally don't care, that doesn't make it any less of a problem for me and no doubt countless other less vocal people who have probably just accepted it because they can't do anything to change it.

Its fine as is because it lets the devs know from a glance what build has a bug or feedback for even if the player doesnt properly use tags. If (PC) was added to all pc players forum tags i wouldnt care.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:59 AM, Gandergear said:

It's fine as is because it lets the devs know from a glance what build has a bug or feedback for even if the player doesn't properly use tags.

Considering consoles and PCs have separate bug report sections, this isn't actually a problem.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:59 AM, Gandergear said:

(PC) was added to all pc players forum tags I wouldn't care.

There's a big difference between "It doesn't bother me personally." and "It's not an issue."

You don't have to be bothered if you aren't, but don't tell other people what's fine and what isn't.

Edit: Yes, I realize I'm the only one kvetching about this, but still.

Edited by (PS4)Carnatus

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Carnatus said:

Considering consoles and PCs have separate bug report sections, this isn't actually a problem.

There's a big difference between "It doesn't bother me personally." and "It's not an issue."

You don't have to be bothered if you aren't, but don't tell other people what's fine and what isn't.

Edit: Yes, I realize I'm the only one kvetching about this, but still.

Nah thinking about it your viewpoint is valid and it's not like it'd be hard to change how these tags are handled, espescially since PSN/PC/etc member is shown under your portrait. But I think this may just be a limitation of the forums since as was explained you can have the same name on different platforms you could have a PC Carnatus and a PS4 Carnatus interfering with their names.

But that's of course only if the players name IS your ID rather than having a unique player ID, which may actually be an issue.

5 hours ago, Gandergear said:

Nah thinking about it your viewpoint is valid and it's not like it'd be hard to change how these tags are handled, espescially since PSN/PC/etc member is shown under your portrait. But I think this may just be a limitation of the forums since as was explained you can have the same name on different platforms you could have a PC Carnatus and a PS4 Carnatus interfering with their names.

But that's of course only if the players name IS your ID rather than having a unique player ID, which may actually be an issue.

That's already been established many times.

I just know there has to be a better way around it.