Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Server Troubles (+ Boosters).

[DE]Rebecca

vor 1 Minute schrieb Badboysei:

But do you not think they are either doing them now or have done them previously? I would think they tried to defend for this exact situation, Saturday night and people either can't get in or weary of buying anything for fear of losses? If they weren't doing all they could in precautions I reckon it would be successfully attacked a lot more frequently.  

Of course it's easy to deal with a ddos. You just need to do ... something. DDOS attackers are very dumb people in general, you can block them all easily by just adding ONE simple additional rule in your firewall. That's also the reason why bigger companies like Sony or Microsoft have never been victims of DDOS attacks. They simply have people who know how to deal with that. Or even better, people who know how to absolutely PREVENT such happenings. Have you ever heard of another company beeing a victim of a DDOS? No, you haven't.  That's why i know DE obviously just has incompetent staff... *IRONY*

Just now, Badboysei said:

Even working on the basis of it not being a DDoS, it's still an extreme thing to uninstall due to one outage. As I 1st stated I am new here so haven't had to deal with this before but with a community as supportive as this would they have to lie about the reasoning?  

I totally agree,but i bit of honesty on DE's part would be nice.

If this really is a denial of service attack then why take so long to let us know when there servers would have told them last week that they was under a DDOS attack.

Just now, KamiRD said:

I'm still playing LoL every day..... To keep myself on the edge and not relax too much so to say. Aaand because I like the GAME. Community sucks there though.

i too enjoyed LoL but my friends and i arent playing it anymore due to the toxic behaviour of the community.

2 minutes ago, KamiRD said:

LoL is not a saltfest...... it's like a ocean of acid...

I mean i do get it it's competitive and all that, but no other competitive game I've played has such toxicity as LoL. I still love the game though, it's just the community there is..... fallen behind in advancement or something.

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

1 minute ago, Badboysei said:

But do you not think they are either doing them now or have done them previously? I would think they tried to defend for this exact situation, Saturday night and people either can't get in or weary of buying anything for fear of losses? If they weren't doing all they could in precautions I reckon it would be successfully attacked a lot more frequently.  

The root point is that you said there were no other ways, and there are. Also, I'm getting a strong impression that the size of the DDOSes are scaling somewhat with the overall exposure of the game, so what worked last time might not (is already proving to not?) be adequate this time. Which is why I urge DE to take more aggressive steps to protect the game server infrastructure against DDOSes, and enumerate specific ideas for that which their IT staff can pursue where applicable.

League of Legends makes unpopular, DDOS-inciting decisions quite frequently, and has far more players. Yet how often do you hear of it being hit with an effective attack? The difference is that they have protections in place of appropriate scale to their exposure (pretty extreme.) Digital Extremes needs to follow suit to achieve similar product uptime, so that we can all just laugh at anyone who thinks they're going to take the game offline with a DDOS.

1 minute ago, oOXMrDoXOo said:

I totally agree,but i bit of honesty on DE's part would be nice.

If this really is a denial of service attack then why take so long to let us know when there servers would have told them last week that they was under a DDOS attack.

Has this really been going on for a week now? I only started seeing issues in game yesterday.

9 minutes ago, Buuuh said:

I have my own internet company. There seem to be a lot of internet experts here and i'm hiring. Anyone interested in a job? I offer very good salary, as some people here seem to have very rare and exlusive knowledge about how it has to be done, especially how to deal with exeptions like a ddos attack. But i guess most of them won't work for me, because they already have highly paid jobs in their spaical sector like internet security? Otherwise i could not explain the overall knowledge of almighty experts here?!

In germany there is a common phrase: "During soccer world championship, there are about 80 million people in germany who all know how and what to do better than the actually soccer team's trainer ".

Hate to be pedantic but it's football not soccer.:crylaugh:

1 minute ago, DojikkoVoidNinja said:

The root point is that you said there were no other ways, and there are. Also, I'm getting a strong impression that the size of the DDOSes are scaling somewhat with the overall exposure of the game, so what worked last time might not (is already proving to not?) be adequate this time. Which is why I urge DE to take more aggressive steps to protect the game server infrastructure against DDOSes, and enumerate specific ideas for that which their IT staff can pursue where applicable.

League of Legends makes unpopular, DDOS-inciting decisions quite frequently, and has far more players. Yet how often do you hear of it being hit with an effective attack? The difference is that they have protections in place of appropriate scale to their exposure (pretty extreme.) Digital Extremes needs to follow suit to achieve similar product uptime, so that we can all just laugh at anyone who thinks they're going to take the game offline with a DDOS.

Let's be real who expects Warframe to get DDOS'ed? It's like someone is DDOS'ing heaven.. I can't really blame DE. Community loves the game, and community is mature and understanding.

League ain't getting DDOS'ed cause.....Tencent? Hell idk. But Tencent is bigger than EA so.....They might have enough recources to deal with DDOS. Then again I'm not really knowledgeable in all the DDOS'ing stuff so i was just taking a wild guess. A REALLY wild guess.

4 minutes ago, jopos15 said:

i too enjoyed LoL but my friends and i arent playing it anymore due to the toxic behaviour of the community.

i used to play LoL, but lost interest when all my runes i worked on for months to aquire were made obselete and deleted . . . .

1 minute ago, Twentyside said:

Has this really been going on for a week now? I only started seeing issues in game yesterday.

The network not responding message has been popping up all week,but only like for 5 or 10 seconds at most.

1 minute ago, CamelToesis said:

i used to play LoL, but lost interest when all my runes i worked on for months to aquire were made obselete and deleted . . . .

To be fair new ones are better.  Especially the newest one "Conqueror", it really deals with the tank meta. If you're a top-laner like me then you'll understand.

6 hours ago, ---No-Mercy--- said:

no one cares, and playing alone in your mum's attic does not constitute "Gaming industry Experience".

I've never had the pleasure of playing games from an attic at all, actually, what's it like under those suspiciously specific circumstances you somehow felt the need to rattle off? Either way, porting packet driver code in Doom and patching exploits in Jedi Academy both count as "Gaming Industry Experience" in pretty much anyone's book, last I checked, among many other things I've done over the years. Did you have any actual point whatsoever or did you just come here to launch personal attacks and be toxic?

1 minute ago, Badboysei said:
  • Think he was probably making it so the American crowd knows what he's on about 

Haha,just a joke,but i'm sure my brothers across the pond would know what football is just as well as me knowing what soccer is.

il y a 7 minutes, Buuuh a dit :

Of course it's easy to deal with a ddos. You just need to do ... something. DDOS attackers are very dumb people in general, you can block them all easily by just adding ONE simple additional rule in your firewall. That's also the reason why bigger companies like Sony or Microsoft have never been victims of DDOS attacks. They simply have people who know how to deal with that. Or even better, people who know how to absolutely PREVENT such happenings. Have you ever heard of another company beeing a victim of a DDOS? No, you haven't.  That's why i know DE obviously just has incompetent staff... *IRONY*

Oh yeah just add one rule to the firewall and nothing else is required, Sooo simple.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Buuuh said:

Sorry, so many people are saying stupid things that I actually read this as serious.  Just goes to show how easy it is to jump to conclusions :)

Err, I think not.  Both Sony and Microsoft have been victims of DDoS attacks more than once.  For example do you remember this from less than two years ago: https://www.polygon.com/2016/10/21/13361014/psn-xbox-live-down-ddos-attack-dyn

You obviously do not understand that DDoS is the collective name for several types of actual attack with only two things in common:

1. The attack is originating from many locations at once
  2. The aim is to prevent communication by keeping everything too busy to cope

For example if the attack is setup to make a connection and nothing more (no data sent) then it is not possible to analyse the data to see if it is garbage or not.  It would also be possible to forge the IP for the incoming connection, which makes determining the source difficult.  In the event they can make enough connections fast enough it would indeed be possible to make it so that legitimate connections effectively just get missed as the buffers on the other end are already full.

I have actually written low-level networking code for several embedded devices so I do have a solid understanding of how networks and the internet function.  While you are correct most attacks are badly executed and easily dealt with, there have also been very well organised attacks which took down major ISPs for extended periods of time in the past.  I suspect this one is somewhere between the two.

Edited by JScarlett
Mistook joke for being serious...

1 minute ago, oOXMrDoXOo said:

Haha,just a joke,but i'm sure my brothers across the pond would know what football is just as well as me knowing what soccer is.

Sorry my laugh emoticon didn't show. I got the joke. But remember their "football" involves mostly hands.

2 minutes ago, DojikkoVoidNinja said:

I've never had the pleasure of playing games from an attic at all, actually, what's it like under those suspiciously specific circumstances you somehow felt the need to rattle off? Either way, porting packet driver code in Doom and patching exploits in Jedi Academy both count as "Gaming Industry Experience" in pretty much anyone's book, last I checked, among many other things I've done over the years. Did you have any actual point whatsoever or did you just come here to launch personal attacks and be toxic?

I spent 6 months in a attic once upon a time,only coming down to eat and shower.

Then they caught me and sent me to jail.:sadcry: