Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Index strategy: bank at 15 points for the biggest bonus

dudefaceguy

Don't hoard more than 15 points, or you will decrease your bonus. Take a look at this table:

Points Held Bonus added Total bonus Percentage bonus
5 2 2 40%
10 2 4 40%
15 4 8 53.33%
20 2 10 50%
>20 0 10 <50%

As you can see, turning in 5 or 10 points earns you a 40% bonus, and turning in 20 points earns you a 50% bonus. But turning in 15 points earns you a 53.33% bonus of 8 points. And for goodness sake, don't hoard more than 20 points, because your bonus points are capped at 10. You will get zero additional points if you hoard more than 20.

To put it another way, if you turn in 60 points, you will get the following numbers of bonus points:

Groups of Total Bonus Total Points
1 0 60
5 24 84
10 24 84
15 32 92
20 30 90
60 10 70

Also, turning in at 15 points is only 9.5% better than turning in at 5 points. If you turn in 15 points in groups of 5, you will end up with 21 points, versus 23 points if you had turned in all 15 points at once. This is an increase of 2 points, or about 9.5%. So, use your head in public matches when you decide whether to pick up points and score them yourself, or leave them for Rhino to pick up. If Anyo picks up 2 of these points and scores them, you have lost your entire advantage.

• Like 4

Whenever I run Index, I see a lot of people stressing this "Golden 15 Rule" and even getting mad at the carrier if they deposit at 20 instead of 15. There's no argue that depositing at anywhere below 15 or above 20 does considerably lower the bonus rate in longer runs, but funnily enough, in a typical index run (4 rounds) depositing at 15 or 20 makes almost no difference at all in the number of kills required to finish the run.

If the team is going for 4 rounds on Medium Index, that would be a total of 300 points required.

If the team deposits at 15 (+8 bonus), that would require depositing a total of 196 points.
If the team deposits at 20 (+10 bonus), that would require depositing a total of 200 points.

The "big" difference is only 4 more points in this case.

If the team is going for 4 rounds on High Index, that would be a total of 400 points required.

If the team deposits at 15 (+8 bonus), that would require depositing a total of 260 points.
If the team deposits at 20 (+10 bonus), that would require depositing a total of 266 points.

The "big" difference is only 6 more points in this case.

Even at round 8 of high index, getting 12 more points is easily doable in under a minute, so yea... Unless the team is going for double digit rounds, the difference between depositing at 15 or 20 is easily negligible, and it's much easier to just deposit anywhere between 15 and 20 points whenever convenient, rather than trying to be unnecessarily precise (and even disrupting the flow of the run) just to deposit at the golden 15 points every single time.

P.S: The whole thing about not depositing more than 15 was for pre-rework Index, as depositing at 20 instead of 15 would've added ~25% more time to the clock (which could've easily piled up to 5 additional minutes at times), unnecessarily and unreasonably extending the wait time at the end of the round. After the rework though, it hardly makes enough difference to be worth all the fuss people make about it in pub and pug runs. It's sure nice to have an experienced carrier who swiftly deposits at 15 all the time, but not really worth the headache and the drama to try and argue if someone happens to deposit at 16, 17, 18, 19 or 20.

Edited by aerelm
  • Like 2

Good luck convincing Rhino Players to work with this proposal.  I've  encountered Rhino Players thinking, "Iron Skin makes Index fun" mentalities.  And then throwing rage when I carried the team as a Nidus.  Until people start playing as a team -- no proposal no matter how good -- this proposal will fall on many a deaf ear.  

28 minutes ago, aerelm said:

the difference between depositing at 15 or 20 is easily negligible, and it's much easier to just deposit anywhere between 15 and 20 points whenever convenient, rather than trying to be unnecessarily precise (and even disrupting the flow of the run) just to deposit at the golden 15 points every single time.

This is completely correct. I was initially going to add this point, but I thought the post was long enough. Honestly, I think that anything after 5 points is fine because the difference is very small there as well. To take your example, depositing every 5 points would require 215 kills, which is only 9.7% more than the 196 kills that would be required if you turned in perfectly every 15. So, if you are 10% less efficient at killing because you concentrate on hoarding (maybe you avoid fights because of low health, or spend time grabbing energy instead of killing enemies, or your teammates could have turned in the points faster than you), then you have wasted the entire advantage.

15 is technically most efficient, but in the bigger picture, anything between 5 and 25 is pretty much the same. The main reason I made this post is because I see Rhinos in public matches hoarding 50 points, which is really annoying.

2 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

Surely you should wait as long to turn in as you can because when you turn in points the enemy gets stronger. 

Only if it takes you longer to kill them than the amount of points you waste from hoarding above the bonus cap. If you're running high risk and you have your Rhino hoard 90 points before turning in, so that you only turn in once per round, then you have lost 38 bonus points! You could have been 1/3 done with the following round by that time. I doubt that the rounds will take 1/3 longer to complete if you turn in at 15 points, just because of enemy scaling.

• 2 years later...

THANK YOU for this post!!!!  🙂  ❤️  💯
Even just today some bozo jumped into a game saying "I only play with Index pros" (he / she was all of MR 16) and proceeded to hoard 35 points until I was insisting they deposit them, then after the game they NEEDED to tell us all we were "no pros" before they stormed out - LOL!!!  😆
(*Despite my playing Defense on our goal and, oh you know, have consistent Zero Point enemy scores - yeah no idea what I'm doing*)
UGH.
Anyway I am "Crumbsing" this post so I can just send peeps here instead of trying to explain "Just stop at 15 or you are slowing down the game."
Thank You Again!!! 🙂

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, (PSN)BMWWOW said:

Even just today some bozo jumped into a game saying "I only play with Index pros" (he / she was all of MR 16) and proceeded to hoard 35 points until I was insisting they deposit them, then after the game they NEEDED to tell us all we were "no pros" before they stormed out - LOL!!!  😆
(*Despite my playing Defense on our goal and, oh you know, have consistent Zero Point enemy scores - yeah no idea what I'm doing*)
UGH.
Anyway I am "Crumbsing" this post so I can just send peeps here instead of trying to explain "Just stop at 15 or you are slowing down the game."
Thank You Again!!! 🙂

Jesus can people please stop nekroing threads, this is nearly 3 years old mate.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, (PSN)BMWWOW said:

UGH.
Thank You Again!!! 🙂

B7kdbKQ.png

2 years, man.

2 god damn years.

For this?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dunkelheit said:

There are so many more things to consider, so the math is not that easy:

- Efficiency goes down the higher level the mobs are

- time consumed running from point A to point B, trying to deposit 15 points

- loading times

Efficiency only really goes down in a sub-optimal group like say, public match making. 

• Like 1

The amount of bonus credits comes out to a grand total of exactly zero.

So you either win or you don't. That's the math.

But you shouldn't even be on the index anymore, the index is out. Surprising you haven't figure that out if you love analyzing numbers so much. Tunnel vision maybe?

5 minutes ago, Surbusken said:

The amount of bonus credits comes out to a grand total of exactly zero.

So you either win or you don't. That's the math.

But you shouldn't even be on the index anymore, the index is out. Surprising you haven't figure that out if you love analyzing numbers so much. Tunnel vision maybe?

You wanna talk tunnel vision huh..

This thread is from March 2018, I guess you had tunnel vision.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

You wanna talk tunnel vision huh..

This thread is from March 2018, I guess you had tunnel vision.

Did you get bonus credits in 2018?

Is railjack still better to farm for credits?

Well, then, maybe you aren't debating the points. So what are you even doing

1 minute ago, Surbusken said:

Did you get bonus credits in 2018?

Is railjack still better to farm for credits?

Well, then, maybe you aren't debating the points. So what are you even doing

Well back in 2018 yes you did get 8 bonus points for banking so 23 per drop in.

You didn't have railjack in 2018

I originally posted because I asked the person who nekro'd the thread not to do so.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Well back in 2018 yes you did get 8 bonus points for banking so 23 per drop in.

You didn't have railjack in 2018

I originally posted because I asked the person who nekro'd the thread not to do so.

Tried to silence veto when faced with reality.

Weak.

• Like 1