Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Server Troubles Part 2

[DE]Helen

I understand that you will be fixing things up with the people who had active boosters, but what about people's time? Some people aren't able to play the game at any time. What about them? Don't they deserve a compensation for the downtime? I don't know... just a thought.

8 minutes ago, MunsuLight said:

Isn't a DDOS someone sending a lot of packets of informations to overload the servers ? 

So new one , biggers one should help against this ? or I'm wrong ?

No, DDOS = Distributed Denial of Service. All these tiny packets come from different IPs so blocking an IP doesn't help. The way that this functions is that normally there's a sort of virus infecting a lot of people's computers and sending these packets. The amount of distribution is potentially unlimited. They can add 200 servers and they could potentially still be swamped, and adding 200 servers will come with its own problems, distribution is hard. And on top of that you have to have a central server managing that distribution which would then, in turn, get swamped and become a bottleneck of its own. It's of no help. 

There are of course things you can do, but scaling horizontally is not the solution. Basically it depends on how clever the attack is. If the attack is very clever all they can do for the moment is putting out fires until they find the common denominator.

3 minutes ago, LuckkyBullet said:

for how much money i have personally paid you guys seriously should look into better protection against ddos attacks...or just PRIVATE SERVERS to stop all this host migration crap.

This. is. literally. disgusting. to. read.

Idk why but this whole situation reminds me of Octavia's Anthem; something goes wrong with a computer, turns out it's an extremely self-absorbed (literally) construct with an ability to crash a server or two. Coincidence???????

3 minutes ago, LuckkyBullet said:

for how much money i have personally paid you guys seriously should look into better protection against ddos attacks...or just PRIVATE SERVERS to stop all this host migration crap.

Can someone give me an ELI5 for why it's not possible to have separate, opt-in, whitelist-only servers? Like, if I were to pre-validate my IP and any other info I'd need, what makes it impossible for DE to have some servers that have whitelists for pre-auth'd Tenno instead of blacklists for DDoSers?

2 minutes ago, SpentCasings said:

Game sessions are Peer to Peer...there will always be a host with that setup....that has nothing to do with DE and everything to do with your connection to the host. 

But private servers don need peer to peer in order to function properly. look at overwatch for example.