Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe on mobile?

JackAfrica

Mobile? Oh hell no. The average quality of posts on the forums would plummet. Imagine how this place was right when the console versions first dropped, and then multiply it by summer.

If we're going to go the route of "take Warframe to work with you and play it instead of eating lunch", I'd much prefer it on the Nintendo Switch, since the Switch has way fewer free-to-play titles (less competition), and it would also be way less likely to have atrocious controls.

It is possible.

However, it will be a lot of work for DE to make it work properly, given that they are a relatively small company that does their own engine. In addition, whatever new platform they pick will have platform specific bugs, which will mean to dedicate support staff to that platform... and given the Warframe support is slow, this might not be a good moment for that.

Sure, Fortnite uses Unreal Engine, and Epic Games develop both the game and engine. However, Unreal Engine had a mobile version long before they decided to support a mobile build of Fortnite. For Epic Games doing that was easy.

Something similar goes for PUBG, by the way. The developers also use the Unreal Engine, and thanks to that, they were able to do iOS and Android ports of the game.

Warframes' Evolution Engine does not have that luxury, the have to port the engine from the ground up. In addition, they might not be ready to devote developers to do that while maintaining the existing version. At least not yet.

I would say, expect a version for Linux first. Porting to Linux should be easier (yes, I know some people run Warframe on Wine, no need to tell me that), it should be a matter of abstracting system calls and changing the build pipeline (oh, and then they have Linux specific bugs). In addition, allowing Windows and Linux players to join the same servers and play together will not have the same hurdles they have with consoles.

Warframe already works with OpenGL, right? I think that is what it does when you disable Direct X in the launcher. I might be wrong.

Finally, a Linux port could pave the way for an Android port. Once they are running on ARM (on Android) going for iOS or Nintendo Switch (as KirukaChan suggest) would be easier.

---

For abstract: They might not have enough staff now. If they do, or once they do, the following would be a good order to go about it: 

- Linux first
- Android next
- iOS, Switch or whatever later

Edited by theraot

10 hours ago, KirukaChan said:

Mobile? Oh hell no. The average quality of posts on the forums would plummet. Imagine how this place was right when the console versions first dropped, and then multiply it by summer.

If we're going to go the route of "take Warframe to work with you and play it instead of eating lunch", I'd much prefer it on the Nintendo Switch, since the Switch has way fewer free-to-play titles (less competition), and it would also be way less likely to have atrocious controls.

In all seriousness that is true.

• 3 months later...

Yes it is very possible . It’s funny that most of these people replying to your question are forgetting smartphones have compatible controllers now. If DE made proper control mapping for different types of mobile Bluetooth controllers then it could very well be done with ease. It’s up to them if they want a mobile team though.

21 minutes ago, (PS4)IB0unc3IifUHurt said:

Yes it is very possible . It’s funny that most of these people replying to your question are forgetting smartphones have compatible controllers now. If DE made proper control mapping for different types of mobile Bluetooth controllers then it could very well be done with ease. It’s up to them if they want a mobile team though.

Smartphones do have compatible controllers, but not everyone carries a controller round with them wherever they go, so it would be a waste of resources to bring warframe to mobile given the little playerbase it would garner.

While Fortnite PvP might be on the phone the MUCH more intense and much more comparable version of Fortnite Save The World (a horde shooter like Warframe) is nowhere near optimized enough to be on there. Hell both of them barely can run on consoles much less the phone.

Only thing I would like to be added to the phone is being able to obtain log in rewards. So I don’t have to get on my PS4 every single time to obtain. It would help players who are giving warframe a rest or those who can’t get on for the moment. I know a guy whose internet was out for a few days. And there were times when I had no electricity due to bad storms. I would have my 900 days log in by now. 

11 hours ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Only thing I would like to be added to the phone is being able to obtain log in rewards. So I don’t have to get on my PS4 every single time to obtain. It would help players who are giving warframe a rest or those who can’t get on for the moment. I know a guy whose internet was out for a few days. And there were times when I had no electricity due to bad storms. I would have my 900 days log in by now. 

Yeah do that or at least make it so you can only claim 3 or 4 a week or 3 times in a row or something.