Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Legion of Tau: Undying Crusade 5.1 | Face your greatest adversary yet- SENTIENT NEMESIS System is here! Earn new unique EVOLUTION MODS! Generate your own Sentient Knight's name!

Almighty_Jado

54 minutes ago, Almighty_Jado said:

Ah, I see!
Well, perhaps in due time I shall come up with some possible names. I wish we had access to a polling option!

Closest thing I've come up to doing? The emojis. Assigning each color a target and letting folks put that as their vote. That was how it worked for my Sentient Shotcannon's selection between being a gift from the Unum, Lotus, or a new Corpus hunting company.

@Almighty_Jado

Hey Man,

I've been lurking on this post for a while now and have loved seeing the idea grow and evolve. I saw that you recently added a concept map of what "Tau Town" (As it is currently known) may look like. I saw this as a great way for me to try and chip into the idea behind this and so I went in and made a slightly neater map with a few changes to the layout that would assist players in finding key places and getting into the action faster whilst still offering easy access to the vendors encapsulating the HUB world.

As I continue work on the Design I will add back in the detailed descriptions of the different locales in the HUB world and reduce the clutter of labels. Hopefully it will come down to a much cleaner system once I finish the detailing and scaling.

Spoiler

Layout Design Choices:

Bounty Terminal:

In Cetus, Konzu is located at the other end of the Spawn point which forces players to pass the other vendors and through Cetus in order to gain a brief of Idea of where they are and how to get around. This is good for new players as the Plains of Eidolon are located on the starting planet. Tau however is a Endgame location and players are expected to understand how the game works and that the vendors are located somewhere in the HUB world as indicated by the minimap. Therefore placing the Bounty Terminal at the front of the town allows squads to enter Tau and launch straight into a mission without having to deal with the clutter or travel that Cetus has. (Assuming they don't just use the Fast Travel option).

Circle HUB:

Not shown in the full layout of the first map draft, the HUB world would act like a layer of rings. The inner circle is where the Vendor's and Entrance to the Tau surface would be placed and protected by outer threats. The second ring would hold all the Stores and ammunition for the lives and war respectively. The out circle would be the Walls and Artillery Areas that prevent the Sentinel forces to encroach on the Claimed HUB area. Players could explore around the camp and observe the battle or head straight for the center to prepare for the fray.

Launch/Landing Pads:

I took the idea that the Relays in the Origin System have multiple landing pads to land on and applied it here as with such a hectic field of battle in play, ships would need a constant area to land and leave in as people enter and leave the fray. This isn't earth and the threat of enemy fire would mean that a larger area for ships to operate in would be needed. So having multiple landing platforms allows the opportunity for many ships to enter and leave with as little congestion as possible.

(PS: Town name idea; Squidville. We all know that's what the sentinels really are 😉 )

This was my thought process as I went through this design and decided I wanted to help contribute and share my thoughts. I will continue to work on this and accept ideas and criticism freely, so if there is something you think could work better then please feel free to tell me. I'm glad to be able to contribute to this idea and hope it helps inspires others to as well.

Edited by (PS4)TwistedInstincts
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Elixz8247 said:

@TwistedInstincts 

The like the hub world u drew its a great improvement from the previous rough draft. What program did you use to draw it

I used PaintDotNet, which is MSPaint and Photoshops child.

I'm currently in the middle of moving so I only had my terrible laptop. Otherwise future updates will be done with better programs.

14 minutes ago, (PS4)TwistedInstincts said:

I used PaintDotNet, which is MSPaint and Photoshops child.

I'm currently in the middle of moving so I only had my terrible laptop. Otherwise future updates will be done with better programs.

Same i just moved to a different  state. 

Edited by (PS4)Elixz8247

2 hours ago, (PS4)TwistedInstincts said:

@Almighty_Jado

Hey Man,

I've been lurking on this post for a while now and have loved seeing the idea grow and evolve. I saw that you recently added a concept map of what "Tau Town" (As it is currently known) may look like. I saw this as a great way for me to try and chip into the idea behind this and so I went in and made a slightly neater map with a few changes to the layout that would assist players in finding key places and getting into the action faster whilst still offering easy access to the vendors encapsulating the HUB world.

As I continue work on the Design I will add back in the detailed descriptions of the different locales in the HUB world and reduce the clutter of labels. Hopefully it will come down to a much cleaner system once I finish the detailing and scaling.

Hide contents

Layout Design Choices:

Bounty Terminal:

In Cetus, Konzu is located at the other end of the Spawn point which forces players to pass the other vendors and through Cetus in order to gain a brief of Idea of where they are and how to get around. This is good for new players as the Plains of Eidolon are located on the starting planet. Tau however is a Endgame location and players are expected to understand how the game works and that the vendors are located somewhere in the HUB world as indicated by the minimap. Therefore placing the Bounty Terminal at the front of the town allows squads to enter Tau and launch straight into a mission without having to deal with the clutter or travel that Cetus has. (Assuming they don't just use the Fast Travel option).

Circle HUB:

Not shown in the full layout of the first map draft, the HUB world would act like a layer of rings. The inner circle is where the Vendor's and Entrance to the Tau surface would be placed and protected by outer threats. The second ring would hold all the Stores and ammunition for the lives and war respectively. The out circle would be the Walls and Artillery Areas that prevent the Sentinel forces to encroach on the Claimed HUB area. Players could explore around the camp and observe the battle or head straight for the center to prepare for the fray.

Launch/Landing Pads:

I took the idea that the Relays in the Origin System have multiple landing pads to land on and applied it here as with such a hectic field of battle in play, ships would need a constant area to land and leave in as people enter and leave the fray. This isn't earth and the threat of enemy fire would mean that a larger area for ships to operate in would be needed. So having multiple landing platforms allows the opportunity for many ships to enter and leave with as little congestion as possible.

(PS: Town name idea; Squidville. We all know that's what the sentinels really are 😉 )

This was my thought process as I went through this design and decided I wanted to help contribute and share my thoughts. I will continue to work on this and accept ideas and criticism freely, so if there is something you think could work better then please feel free to tell me. I'm glad to be able to contribute to this idea and hope it helps inspires others to as well.

This is an excellent rendition of my rough sketch! Well done, and thank you for this! I really appreciate both your interest and contribution.

I agree with basically all of the suggestions you’ve added. Especially the location of the radar station; having to avoid opening he escape menu to fast travel there would indeed be a bit of a pain.

The only gripe I have is that you accidentally said “Sentinels” instead of “Sentients”, but that’s just a spelling error of little consequence and easy fixing!

When I get the chance I’ll swap out the rough sketch with this fancy, clean version you’ve draw. (And of course, you’ll be credited as a contributor! ^.^)

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, Almighty_Jado said:

The only gripe I have is that you accidentally said “Sentinels” instead of “Sentients”, but that’s just a spelling error of little consequence and easy fixing!

How. On. Earth. How did I do that?!?!!?! I literally spent an hour and a half drawing up sketches in my book with ideas and stuff and filled the page with the word sentients... Sentinel?! Argghhgghghhghg

6 hours ago, (PS4)TwistedInstincts said:

How. On. Earth. How did I do that?!?!!?! I literally spent an hour and a half drawing up sketches in my book with ideas and stuff and filled the page with the word sentients... Sentinel?! Argghhgghghhghg

It might be that the Sentients and the Sentinels are related. It IS mentioned in a Cephalon Fragment entry.

12 hours ago, Sc10n0fD4rksp0r3 said:

It might be that the Sentients and the Sentinels are related. It IS mentioned in a Cephalon Fragment entry.

From what I recall, sentinels were essentially pre-Sentients left behind throughout the journey that evolved independent of the Tau-Settled.

Oh boy.... guess what time it is?
THAT IS CORRECT! IT IS
Tenno Reinforcements Time!
Just wanted to resurrect an old concept of mine and see how a crit-heavy weapon might be useful on Tau. I did buff it up a bit from the original iteration, hopefully not too much though. To be fair though, it's got an MR lock of 14.
Special thanks to @(XB1)Fluffywolf36 for making the original design of this weapon!

THROMBOCYST
Thrombocyst by AlmightyJado

Info:
A twisted rifle that becomes increasingly bloodthirsty as it slays living organisms.
Stats:
MR: 14
Slot: Primary
Type: Rifle
Trigger Type: Semi-Auto
Ammo Type: Rifle
Noise Level: Alarming
Fire Rate: 210 RPM
Accuracy: 25
Magazine: 20
Max Ammo: 450
Reload Time: 1.8 seconds
Base Damage: 30 Puncture bPuncture, 20 Impact bImpact, 10 Slash bSlash
Total Damage: 60
Crit Chance: 0%
Crit Multiplier: 4.0x
Status Chance: 10%
Polarities: Vazarin PolNaramon Pol
Special Property: Kills grant a stack that gives +2% BASE critical chance for 30 seconds. This bonus stacks 25 times for a total of +50% BASE critical chance.
Stacks fall off 2 at a time.
Additionally, for every stack gained, the duration of the critical chance bonus is decreased by 1.1 seconds (At 25 stacks, the 50% critical chance is present only for 2.5 seconds).
Visually, the sphincters at the sides of the gun begin to pulsate with infested slime more and more violently as your gain critical chance stacks.

Resource values coming soon!

Edited by Almighty_Jado

49 minutes ago, Almighty_Jado said:

THAT IS CORRECT! IT IS
Just wanted to resurrect an old concept of mine and see how a crit-heavy weapon might be useful on Tau. I did buff it up a bit from the original iteration, hopefully not too much though. To be fair though, it's got an MR lock of 14.
Special thanks to @(XB1)Fluffywolf36 for making the original design of this weapon!

THROMBOCYST

Info:
A twisted rifle that becomes increasingly bloodthirsty as it slays living organisms.
Stats:
Special Property: Kills grant a stack that gives +2% BASE critical chance for 30 seconds. This bonus stacks 25 times for a total of +50% BASE critical chance.
Additionally, for every stack gained, the duration of the critical chance bonus is decreased by 1.1 seconds (At 25 stacks, the 50% critical chance is present only for 2.5 seconds).
Visually, the sphincters at the sides of the gun begin to pulsate with infested slime more and more violently as your gain critical chance stacks.

Does it bop Tenno in the face from time to time when the use it, or does the shockwave knock the operator out of the Warframe occasionally?

Maybe it can be a synthesis of infested tissue and sentient cores.

Edited by Sc10n0fD4rksp0r3
Idea

5 hours ago, Sc10n0fD4rksp0r3 said:

Does it bop Tenno in the face from time to time when the use it, or does the shockwave knock the operator out of the Warframe occasionally?

Maybe it can be a synthesis of infested tissue and sentient cores.

Nah, it's just a rifle. No Tenno interactions! No sentient anythings! I don't even think Sentient technology can combine with infestation without killing the technocyte

Edited by Almighty_Jado

@Almighty_Jado But wait... you think for yourself... You are considered Sentient. But you are a Nidus... an infested being. ARE YOU A FUSING OF INFESTATION AND SENTIENCE?!

#FlawedLogic

ANYWAY,

I went back to work thinking of changes and updates to the HUB world map and a thought crossed my mind; How would a town/settlement actually work if they only have at most 7 days to Arrive, Setup camp, complete missions and then dismantle for extraction. Even with future tech, that is an awful amount of work to do in such short time.

So I had a rethink of the whole idea and realised that the issue is immediately solved by using a mobile command center and alas I present to you the Tenno Command Ship - HUB World Section.   Image Link (Properly this time):  

b40nxc7.png

Map Notes:

- Potential to expand area for future Vendors. E.g.; Fishing, Mining, Masks, Pets etc. But 'Legion of Tau' related.

This changes the dynamic of having a fixed HUB location in multiple ways:

Deployment: The command ship idea allows the various Syndicates, Quills, Tenno etc to prepare for the upcoming invasion and gives them a place to prepare and store supplies. Once Tenno have built the Tau Rail System, the Command ship can launch immediately and begin deploying squads as soon as they arrive. It also Allows observation areas to be filled with Aerial battles up close and ground battles below. A nice switch up as Tenno will generally be spending time on the ground and not the sky. 

Bounty Start Location: Having a Mobile Command Center allows for the deployment Elevator/Cannon/Teleporter to deploy Tenno squads onto Tau directly underneath wherever they are. This means that rather than spawning at the same spot every time you could instead deploy on the opposite side of the map to last time or the time before that. This allows the open world, whilst still being the same every time, to stay somewhat fresh each time you spawn in.

Orbiter Utilities: Tenno will obviously land with their Landing Craft on the Command Center but they could still gain access to a personal foundry/mod station/pet segment in a personal quarters area of the ship. These would be linked to the ones on your ship and would allow players to access these utilities without having to leave and reload everytime they want to craft or check something.

Potential Idea: Maybe having the Tau Rail System have a 30 minute counter before activation on it allows Tenno to deploy to the Command Ship and prepare their first bounties, or catch up on Syndicate, Quill or Zaw objectives or parts they didn't get around to last time. Then once the time is up, they reload with the command ship as the Loading Screen, and can start deploying once they've loaded in.

I apologise for the wall of text, was bigger than I thought it would be. But hey, I want to get the idea across and small words wont cut it. Hope you guys enjoy and if there is any feedback I really appreciate it. Can only help improve things from here.

Edit: Silly Grammatical errors.

Edited by (PS4)TwistedInstincts
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, (PS4)TwistedInstincts said:

Snipalyst

Oh man! That’s really cool! Great ideas, Twisted! Definitely brings some great concepts to the table, especially that deployment aspect where players can do their shopping and building before the actual open world is available. Additionally that idea of loading into the open world in a different location thanks to the teleporter is a great way to help try and keep the world interesting. It would greatly compliment the “seasons” of the world that shift.

There’s only one problem I’d have with the ship, that that’s the loss of the feeling of being in the thick of battle... with the ground based hub world, it would feel much more visceral because the Sentients are literally all around you. Stray lasers could strike walls, explosions ringing out right beside you, and other things on the hub world would remind the player that they’re in the middle of a heavy combat zone. I dunno, it’s a tricky choice  now that you’ve come up with the Command ship!

Oh and one minor thing, that “foundry” station is actually supposed to be like Tau Open world equivalent of Hai-Luk and Old Man Suumbat combined. Zaws would still have to be forged by Hok, which I do realize is inconvenient, but from a lore perspective it makes more sense. Maybe Hok himself can come aboard the Command Ship/Forward Base? 🤔

25 minutes ago, Almighty_Jado said:

There’s only one problem I’d have with the ship, that that’s the loss of the feeling of being in the thick of battle...

Simple Fix. The Command Center flies to Tau and lands on the planet Surface. Due to the risk of stray fire causing harm to squads deploying near the ship they are teleported to a random location away from the ship.

This keeps the random spawn freshness and allows the sentient troops to march in and start attacking it like a ground base. Makes sense too cause ships need a lot of energy to stay aloft in atmospheres so landing makes logical sense too. Another cool idea could be the HUB World slowly suffering damage throughout the event so that by the time it leaves the once pristine vendors are shabby and filled with cracks and bulletholes.

30 minutes ago, Almighty_Jado said:

Oh and one minor thing, that “foundry” station is actually supposed to be like Tau Open world equivalent of Hai-Luk and Old Man Suumbat combined. Zaws would still have to be forged by Hok

As for this, I shall replace the Anvil and Hammer with a rock being mined by a fish!! Its ingenious! As for Hok, not even our Zaw master is capable of being in Cetus and Tau at the same time.  Perhaps only Hok can craft the Zaws but a Vendor on the Command Ship could supply the lowest tier Gun Zaw parts so players can dabble in them before deciding to craft a higher level one with farmed parts. And as you rank them up you can get the reusable blueprints for refined version of Tau materials to use in Gun Zaw crafting.

Maybe im thinking too much into it, but hopefully these suggestions help sort out the issues you noticed.

1 hour ago, (PS4)TwistedInstincts said:

Another cool idea could be the HUB World slowly suffering damage throughout the event so that by the time it leaves the once pristine vendors are shabby and filled with cracks and bulletholes.

That’s actually a really cool idea! Would help give to world a more dynamic feel.

As for gun zaws, I’m going to wait on those for a bit and see how that system actually works before implementing anything about them (AKA post-Venus release)

21 hours ago, Almighty_Jado said:

THAT IS CORRECT! IT IS

THROMBOCYST

Info:
Stats:

Wow! You really nailed the coral tube things I took inspiration from when replacing the Boltor's, uh... spinus process-looking things?
eb1e92e1d11d1b1ec8e9c9e5e63f8e14.jpg

16 hours ago, (PS4)TwistedInstincts said:

@Almighty_Jado But wait... you think for yourself... You are considered Sentient. But you are a Nidus... an infested being. ARE YOU A FUSING OF INFESTATION AND SENTIENCE?!

#FlawedLogic

ANYWAY,

I went back to work thinking of changes and updates to the HUB world map and a thought crossed my mind; How would a town/settlement actually work if they only have at most 7 days to Arrive, Setup camp, complete missions and then dismantle for extraction. Even with future tech, that is an awful amount of work to do in such short time.

So I had a rethink of the whole idea and realised that the issue is immediately solved by using a mobile command center and alas I present to you the Tenno Command Ship - HUB World Section.   Image Link (Properly this time):  

Reveal hidden contents

b40nxc7.png

Map Notes:

- Potential to expand area for future Vendors. E.g.; Fishing, Mining, Masks, Pets etc. But 'Legion of Tau' related.

This changes the dynamic of having a fixed HUB location in multiple ways:

Deployment: The command ship idea allows the various Syndicates, Quills, Tenno etc to prepare for the upcoming invasion and gives them a place to prepare and store supplies. Once Tenno have built the Tau Rail System, the Command ship can launch immediately and begin deploying squads as soon as they arrive. It also Allows observation areas to be filled with Aerial battles up close and ground battles below. A nice switch up as Tenno will generally be spending time on the ground and not the sky. 

Bounty Start Location: Having a Mobile Command Center allows for the deployment Elevator/Cannon/Teleporter to deploy Tenno squads onto Tau directly underneath wherever they are. This means that rather than spawning at the same spot every time you could instead deploy on the opposite side of the map to last time or the time before that. This allows the open world, whilst still being the same every time, to stay somewhat fresh each time you spawn in.

Orbiter Utilities: Tenno will obviously land with their Landing Craft on the Command Center but they could still gain access to a personal foundry/mod station/pet segment in a personal quarters area of the ship. These would be linked to the ones on your ship and would allow players to access these utilities without having to leave and reload everytime they want to craft or check something.

Potential Idea: Maybe having the Tau Rail System have a 30 minute counter before activation on it allows Tenno to deploy to the Command Ship and prepare their first bounties, or catch up on Syndicate, Quill or Zaw objectives or parts they didn't get around to last time. Then once the time is up, they reload with the command ship as the Loading Screen, and can start deploying once they've loaded in.

I apologise for the wall of text, was bigger than I thought it would be. But hey, I want to get the idea across and small words wont cut it. Hope you guys enjoy and if there is any feedback I really appreciate it. Can only help improve things from here.

Edit: Silly Grammatical errors.

...A tenno starship with all these amenities and stuff?!

That is really cool

First time posting on this thread, but I've gone over it and looked for a while. Looks pretty interesting all told.

However, a problem stuck out to me about the open world idea. Mostly that, well, having it available for at most twelve weeks out of the year seems a little restrictive. It's a severe time-gate that could lock people out of all the new content that'd be introduced.

So, how about this: in addition to a change in the timing for the actual Tau attacks (perhaps fortnightly, or as frequent as Ghouls?), the open world area could be accessed at any time, but when the invasion isn't on, the area is different. Instead of being a loud battlefield, it's an eerily quiet no-mans-land, without music, just some ambient noises. There would still be some content to experience here, but not as much as during active periods. Content locked out could be the syndicate activities - No fighting, no truce. 'Bounties' might also unavailable, although incursion-like activities with their own reward tables could be implemented. Maybe a little exclusive loot too?

Your job would be to defend the workers building the main structure or repairing the base from smaller threats such as some leftover sentients, primarily smaller ones. Cerbelysts could be among the bigger, rarer threats during off-periods in contrast to their role during the event, with perhaps some even smaller Sentients as well? There wouldn't be many of them, since they're just stragglers. Other groups would be small squads of Grineer and Corpus who've jacked the rails to sneak in and gather Sentients remains in the off-time. Grineer could be commanded by Dr Tengus who wants them for research and Corpus are just looking for a quick buck. These groups don't have bases or permanent structures, since they are just here to pick up the pieces during the quiet times.

In contrast, the active periods would be a loud battlefield, as you suggested. Since that's what your primarily designing around, I'll leave that to you. I just saw a problem and wanted to suggest a possible fix. It might help accentuate the difference the feeling of being in the thick of things - you can explore the area during the peaceful periods mostly freely, so that familiarity would be shattered during the combat itself. 

This change might require an alteration to other aspects, so maybe the idea isn't useable in it's present form. But I think it might improve the total experience, since players are already somewhat soured by time-gated Eidolons where there's three opportunities a day. And I do think the dichotomy between an empty, ravaged battlefield, and raging warzone would make for a very memorable and unique area.

• Like 1

I just thought of something that was so bad I had to put it here:

Usually the boss/assasination target is deeply involved in the planet somehow, and I know that we’re trying to stay as far away as Hunhow as possible, but during raids on Sentient “fortresses” we somehow stumble upon Hunhow in his uglier-than-sin true form and he says to us something along the lines of, “You Tenno have become annoying horse flies, but now it’s squashing time.”

i guess the Sentient Tau War counter-strike should have something tactical, like a Turf War, Strategy for gain territoryes ,map crucial point, something less action&blade but more Research&Developement, especially for use at best the CLAN power.

Example:

• As for PoE Ghouls invasions, there is a % of mission success to reach for each TAU zone.
  • When a zone is conquered, the Clan/Players have to occupy the field with spectres, with a special sub-menu.
  • Sentients will try to reconquer, so a bit of maintanance to troops is required (spectres backup, resources, research)
  • Note: Player should have to unlock zones with a definied progression line, instead Sentient could attack random everywhere, also all togheter.
  • A special duel mode could be request in some epic war battle zone. Super Boss Fight like Eidolon.
  • Orbiters that are stationary around TAU sistem could be attacked suddenly , and a Tillset for fight outside orbiter could be nice, like pirates vs marines :D
  • during Orbiters assault, the game mode could be a mix between Survival/Defense , the player have to active living outdoor support cells, but also defend the ship core parts.

@Loza03 An interesting issue that I hadn’t thought of... while I did want to make Tau a bigger deal; “oh snap guys, Tau is opening this weekend we gotta play together”

i also understand that limiting access to an entire new map and enemies so much could have the huge potential to piss players off. So your idea may actually be a suitable choice.

The only issue is trying to figure out how players actually unlock access to Tau for the first time...

@KeLaRo I’ll take this into consideration! While these are some unique ideas, I’ll have to figure out some more of the core concepts first before tacking on more complex systems.

Despite being an end-game location, I don’t want to make Tau excessively complicated with a billion new systems that players would have to learn. I mean, your ideas are very unique and interesting, but might need to be ground down and focused a little more. We’ll see with time!

Note: as such, there is NO SYNDICATE AFFLIATED WITH TAU (aka there is no Ostron equivalent on Tau). This is prevent players from having to grind for standing and also removes the daily syndicate standing limit. Instead, everything good from Tau drops from the bounties, or enemies.