Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Legion of Tau: Undying Crusade 5.1 | Face your greatest adversary yet- SENTIENT NEMESIS System is here! Earn new unique EVOLUTION MODS! Generate your own Sentient Knight's name!

Almighty_Jado

4 hours ago, chaotea said:

While i like the mount idea, i would have thought something less conventional than a horse would be more in the style of warframe. Like maybe something a mix between a motorbike and an insect would be weirdly cool.

Warframe isn’t a “conventional” free-to-play game. If the Orokin couldn’t defeat the Sentient the “conventional” way, what makes you think the rides they gave the Tenno would be “conventional”.

1 hour ago, Sc10n0fD4rksp0r3 said:

Warframe isn’t a “conventional” free-to-play game. If the Orokin couldn’t defeat the Sentient the “conventional” way, what makes you think the rides they gave the Tenno would be “conventional”.

I think you misunderstood the post you're replying to. They specifically mention how they would like something LESS "conventional".

Also, calm down with aggressiveness.

1 hour ago, (XB1)sieyono said:

These ideas are amazing but, I noticed by looking at some of the drawings that some of the Sentient do not fit the Sentient style. I believe the Battalyst and Conculyst are the common front line soldiers. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Battalysts and Conculysts are indeed the two known Sentient combatants, but my goal is to expand outward and explore more possible enemy types originating from the Sentients.

Some artwork is outdated I realize, and will be fixed soon. For example, the Lekalyst was originally more of a hot-dog bun, but I changed him up to strongly resemble the overarching shape language found in Battalysts. I have plans to fix the Savalyst in this was soon, as well.

18 hours ago, Sc10n0fD4rksp0r3 said:

Thats why I said less conventional.

19 hours ago, Almighty_Jado said:

You’re totally right, but then again having something very similar to a horse would allow players to achieve that Wild West/ cowboy fantasy or chivalry fantasy, you know?

Stop the press, i just had a thought. What about a Kit-mount? Pick you head / legs /body XD

I dont nessisaraly mind the horse idea, but those shown a alittle too horse like as i see it.

On 2019-02-07 at 7:54 PM, Almighty_Jado said:

It's finally here! The LEGION OF TAU 4.0 update! Featuring a massive list of new content which I'll break down for you:

NEW WARFRAME: EREBOS
Erebos_Reference_Final.png
Erebos is an entirely new Warframe, and being such a complex topic, I've created a new thread for feedback specific to him:

NEW WEAPONS:
Erebos arrives with two of his very own weapons, the Cultivox and Shadorai!

NEW VEHICLES: VARAKIRA WARHORSES!
From an ancient time of Tenno Warframe, the Varakira were deadly, loyal and powerful steeds ridden into battle. Revitalize your very own with a proprietary modular system for maximum customization! Huge shoutout to @Blood_Strider for the original designs!

And of course, new mods to come with a new system:

There's also Erebos' Quest, the namesake of this very update (warning, wall of text!):

Last but not least, a little piece of artwork drawn by someone who I'm a big fan of, @LostEpoch! Some Tau Vegetation capable of withstanding the rapidly changing elements!
tau_plant_by_forgotten_epoch_dcxp7nt-pre

Whew! And that's all of the 4.0 update! Not sure what I'll be working on next, perhaps some visual upgrades to my older Sentient Units. Until then, shoot me any feedback you have- I appreciate it all!

The four tenno of the apocalypse.

For what it's worth, the Varakiras make more "gameplay" sense than K-Drive. Not being able to use weapons nor abilities has essentially made me use Archwing exclusively for transportation (not even mentioning Archwing being way faster). If I had a battle horse capable of ramming/trampling enemies, I think I'd consider using it over flying, at least in some situations.

57 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

For what it's worth, the Varakiras make more "gameplay" sense than K-Drive. Not being able to use weapons nor abilities has essentially made me use Archwing exclusively for transportation (not even mentioning Archwing being way faster). If I had a battle horse capable of ramming/trampling enemies, I think I'd consider using it over flying, at least in some situations.

I say this as someone that actually enjoys the K-drive:

you're absolutely right.

I honestly just use K-drive for the fun factor. In Orb Vallis missions, I pretty much have to use my Itzal because everyone else is. A K-drive just can't hold a candle to NYOOMing across the map in less than 10 seconds.

Edit: Besides, ramming and trampling enemies while I go ballistic with my various revolvers? That's awesome.

Edited by (XB1)Fluffywolf36

I'm kinda surprised we can't at least use a secondary while rideing on the boards. I can understand no primary or melee as that could off-balance the board, but, no plinkity plink with my rinky-dink pistol? Doesn't seem right.

Kinda hope we can get a "stabilizer upgrade" in the future to allow it to be so.

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎12 at 1:03 AM, Almighty_Jado said:

Battalysts and Conculysts are indeed the two known Sentient combatants, but my goal is to expand outward and explore more possible enemy types originating from the Sentients.

Some artwork is outdated I realize, and will be fixed soon. For example, the Lekalyst was originally more of a hot-dog bun, but I changed him up to strongly resemble the overarching shape language found in Battalysts. I have plans to fix the Savalyst in this was soon, as well.

Speaking of art, there is one issue I've noticed in your art that I'd like to bring up.

I've noticed that all the Sentients we encounter all follow different specifics in their art direction. It seems to be based on the individual appearances of certain Sentients. Hunhow looks distinctly different from Natah for example, and the fragments reflect this. Hunhow has those more abstract designs, often with parts floating free, the Eidolon has more animalistic shapes (specifically humanoid) and Lotus has an almost technorganic look to her. We also see from our brief glimpse at what we can assume is 'mother' that they have their own style - sporting a kind of geometric, jagged appearance.

However, your art tends not to reflect this. I can't blame you since it was only really with the Sacrifice that this became evident (a new Hunhow-style fragment plus the appearance of a third Sentient artstyle in Lotus/Natah) and your art by and large precedes the release of the Sacrifice, but many of your existing designs have a tendency to mix-and-match the artstyles of Hunhow and the Eidolons instead of having their own. I feel like if you're going to update the art, they should receive redesigns.

That being said, this could also be an opportunity, since it gives you more artistic freedom to design sentients in your own way. Maybe even different 'troops' could come from a rouges gallery of a couple of different Sentient minds with their own specific artstyle.

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

Defense it, don't know how to fix this on a phone, but.

From what I recall, I beleive Mr. Jado has done that very same approach in his own work, the differing Sentients being products of different minds, with a class of subservient fragments serving a set of greater minds inhabiting proper bodies for them.

I've done a variety of approaches to my own set of Sentients mostly extremes on both ends of the "minds" spectrum, but, here, Mr. Jado follows a "class" approach.

Edited by Unus

25 minutes ago, Unus said:

From what I recall, I beleive Mr. Jado has done that very same approach in his own work, the differing Sentients being products of different minds, with a class of subservient fragments serving a set of greater minds inhabiting proper bodies for them.

I've done a variety of approaches to my own set of Sentients mostly extremes on both ends of the "minds" spectrum, but, here, Mr. Jado follows a "class" approach.

Maybe in terms of lore, but as far as I can tell this doesn't seem to extend to the designs of the fragments, which is what I'm concerned about..

Just now, Loza03 said:

Maybe in terms of lore, but as far as I can tell this doesn't seem to extend to the designs of the fragments, which is what I'm concerned about..

Ahhhhhh, I see. Theory versus practice. I can understand where your coming from a bit better. (Though, I have no direct correlations in my own set of Tau creatures, as I cannot draw and no one wants to draw them).

Food for thought for sure. Could possibly call for a "Designation of Minds" at some point in the future. Collect the bodies and fragments under specially named gestalts that are named and themed accordingly.

To illustrate my point, some images. In spoilers for size.

Edit: Should probably mention @Unus so they can actually get notified of this :tongue:

Spoiler

Image result for warframe lotus sacrifice

You can't see it too well here but Lotus has this kind of more organic look - crab claws and her 'neck' looks kind of like a bundle of plant stems. She doesn't really resemble the fragment in the background.

Image result for warframe hunhow

Hunhow, here, has a dramatically different appearance. For example, his surface has fewer wrinkles than other Sentients, being downright glossy in some places. You also see this design in the Second Dream intro, but seemingly slightly altered, with the 'wings' closed- maybe due to the environment he's in or design tweaks to get him in shot, but several parts of the silhouette remain the same like the ring shape at the bottom:

Image result for warframe hunhow second dream

Image result for warframe sentient fighter

Oculyst (couldn't link the images for Battalyst and Conculyst for some reason) somewhat mirrors elements of the shape of hunhow and keeps that weird, alien aesthetic.

Image result for warframe teralyst

Once again not the best picture but you can see that an Eidolon's got a much more humanoid shape and is more textured. I've also noticed that it's somewhat similar to Lotus's sentient form, whilst still clearly different. Maybe the Eidolon mind was also one of Hunhow's kids? Especially since it shares the colours, but in the regular Teralyst they're inverted and in the Gantulyst the energy colour is yellow. They're also the only Sentients we see Synovias, or at the very least they're the most prominent.

Image result for warframe vomvalyst

Similarly to how the Eidolons are at least closer to a more biological structure, Vomvalysts visibly resemble a head and face.

a498143d6ba67b7f5a92637842164450.jpgAnd what is possibly 'Mother'. A well as being bigger then all past sentients, she has a very distinctly different design, being a very much more horizontal structure than the primarily vertical shape, as well as that symmetrical but in many places jagged appearance. For example the blue... ribcage? around her mouth seems almost sharp.

Edited by Loza03

16 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

To illustrate my point, some images. In spoilers for size.

Edit: Should probably mention @Unus so they can actually get notified of this :tongue:

Hide contents

Image result for warframe lotus sacrifice

You can't see it too well here but Lotus has this kind of more organic look - crab claws and her 'neck' looks kind of like a bundle of plant stems. She doesn't really resemble the fragment in the background.

Image result for warframe hunhow

Hunhow, here, has a dramatically different appearance. For example, his surface has fewer wrinkles than other Sentients, being downright glossy in some places. You also see this design in the Second Dream intro, but seemingly slightly altered, with the 'wings' closed- maybe due to the environment he's in or design tweaks to get him in shot, but several parts of the silhouette remain the same like the ring shape at the bottom:

Image result for warframe hunhow second dream

Image result for warframe sentient fighter

Oculyst (couldn't link the images for Battalyst and Conculyst for some reason) somewhat mirrors elements of the shape of hunhow and keeps that weird, alien aesthetic.

Image result for warframe teralyst

Once again not the best picture but you can see that an Eidolon's got a much more humanoid shape and is more textured. I've also noticed that it's somewhat similar to Lotus's sentient form, whilst still clearly different. Maybe the Eidolon mind was also one of Hunhow's kids? Especially since it shares the colours, but in the regular Teralyst they're inverted and in the Gantulyst the energy colour is yellow. They're also the only Sentients we see Synovias, or at the very least they're the most prominent.

Image result for warframe vomvalyst

Similarly to how the Eidolons are at least closer to a more biological structure, Vomvalysts visibly resemble a head and face.

a498143d6ba67b7f5a92637842164450.jpgAnd what is possibly 'Mother'. A well as being bigger then all past sentients, she has a very distinctly different design, being a very much more horizontal structure than the primarily vertical shape, as well as that symmetrical but in many places jagged appearance. For example the blue... ribcage? around her mouth seems almost sharp.

Heh, that would actually fall into one of my designs by pure accident, Hunhow basically having kids for the sake of enlisting them all on a giant psychotic suicide mission when the other Sentients were retreating, resulting in a "M.A.D." scenario.

Since they are all fragments of the amorphous horror that was the Eidolon, I can't help but wonder if all the Eidolons fitted togethor (including that unreleased one) would make the result look like Hunhow or at least assume a "proper" Sentient shape?

I think that. . . it almost looks like columns, like it's head is a "building" of sorts, perhaps unleashing fighters as a carrier craft. Alternatively, it could be "recoil support" for that big friggin suction beam, or "filter gills" that spit out unwanted materials they suck up.

10 minutes ago, Unus said:

Heh, that would actually fall into one of my designs by pure accident, Hunhow basically having kids for the sake of enlisting them all on a giant psychotic suicide mission when the other Sentients were retreating, resulting in a "M.A.D." scenario.

Since they are all fragments of the amorphous horror that was the Eidolon, I can't help but wonder if all the Eidolons fitted togethor (including that unreleased one) would make the result look like Hunhow or at least assume a "proper" Sentient shape?

I think that. . . it almost looks like columns, like it's head is a "building" of sorts, perhaps unleashing fighters as a carrier craft. Alternatively, it could be "recoil support" for that big friggin suction beam, or "filter gills" that spit out unwanted materials they suck up.

Indeed. I mean, he does say that Lotus is the LAST of his Womb. That implies that he had more.

As for the Eidolon, you can see what I assume is its corpse if you look out over the ocean - the best place to look is the top of that big spire of rock overlooking the large ocean base. I don't have a picture of that right now though. From what I remember it took on a similar ish shape, but was a lot more circular in appearance. 

And for space grandma, yeah that makes sense. Having logical reasons behind this totally alien design makes that even cooler.

Edited by Loza03

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

Indeed. I mean, he does say that Lotus is the LAST of his Womb. That implies that he had more.

As for the Eidolon, you can see what I assume is its corpse if you look out over the ocean - the best place to look is the top of that big spire of rock overlooking the large ocean base. I don't have a picture of that right now though. From what I remember it took on a similar ish shape, but was a lot more circular in appearance. 

And for space grandma, yeah that makes sense. Having logical reasons behind this totally alien design makes that even cooler.

Heh, I can only imagine the family reunion the Lotus is having with "Grandma" and the absolutely horrendous amount of children she likely has, though, I'm having trouble fathoming what a Sentient "family unit" is like.

Dem, I'll need to get back there sometime. Been hopeing that could act as a sorta "Plains Raid Zone" someday, invading the inside of it to pilfer it's parts. That, or, it becomes essential in masking our presence in or traveling to the Tau system.

Its all I ever do round here, heh. I'm the boring one round here of the "Creative Quintuplets".

6 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I always assumed that Eidolon's mind's corpse is the one in Gara Toht lake, the one on which the shine is.

Since, you know, Gara suicide bombed it, and Gara Toht sounds quite like Gara (ist) tot, which means Gara is dead.

7 hours ago, Unus said:

Heh, I can only imagine the family reunion the Lotus is having with "Grandma" and the absolutely horrendous amount of children she likely has, though, I'm having trouble fathoming what a Sentient "family unit" is like.

One theory I have for New War is that some percentage of the Sentients - being, well, Sentient - disagree with Mother and Hunhow's feud. They are people in and of themselves after all, even if they're robo-people, so it makes sense that there'd be politics. It'd be interesting if this included some of Lotus's 'siblings'. I could imagine a friendly Sentient who upon learning of Lotus's connection to us, insists we refer to him as 'Uncle'.

7 hours ago, Unus said:

Dem, I'll need to get back there sometime. Been hopeing that could act as a sorta "Plains Raid Zone" someday, invading the inside of it to pilfer it's parts. That, or, it becomes essential in masking our presence in or traveling to the Tau system.

That would be extremely cool. Maybe even Anti-Sentient large-scale Amps to fit onto a Railjack that a Tenno basically has to sit in in order to provide enough power to fire?

7 hours ago, Unus said:

Its all I ever do round here, heh. I'm the boring one round here of the "Creative Quintuplets".

Keeping things grounded isn't a boring role. It helps keep things believable and grounded. Besides, it's crazy the kind of 'realistic' stuff that's stranger than fiction.

3 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

I always assumed that Eidolon's mind's corpse is the one in Gara Toht lake, the one on which the shine is.

Since, you know, Gara suicide bombed it, and Gara Toht sounds quite like Gara (ist) tot, which means Gara is dead.

I thought so to, but this weird background corpse has a lot of Eidolon-y blue stuff coming out of it.