Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should TennoGen creators be allowed to use Prime models, deluxe skins and even make changes to existing WF mesh for their work?

10 minutes ago, SilentMobius said:

The cloths sims are a completely different thing, DE do all of that themselves so there is not need for tooling changes.

Most of the syandanas don't use actual cloth physics, though. They just have bone-chains. Cloth sim only works on "planes" As soon as you have thickness, cloth sims gives weird results. And many of the syandanas have thickness. Look at the kuva braid or the lucra as an example. You can clearly see where each bone ends and a new one begins when they react to movement. Real cloth sim should not need traditional rigging since it's just based off the mesh topology.

22 minutes ago, SilentMobius said:

It's a very different thing compared to rigging a biped for minimal deformation.

Getting proper deformations is not just about rigging. Ideally, the rigger just need to worry about proper weighting. It is the modelers job to ensure that the mesh deforms properly. So DE could just have some demands for quality and say if your mesh don't deform, it won't get accepted.

6 hours ago, rune_me said:

Most of the syandanas don't use actual cloth physics, though. They just have bone-chains. Cloth sim only works on "planes" As soon as you have thickness, cloth sims gives weird results. And many of the syandanas have thickness. Look at the kuva braid or the lucra as an example. You can clearly see where each bone ends and a new one begins when they react to movement. Real cloth sim should not need traditional rigging since it's just based off the mesh topology.

I'm unconvinced (Steve has referred to sloth sims on both Frost and Volt, both of which have thickness.), but regardless, rigging and mesh retopo for a flowing item that functions as a bendable cloth item is orders of magnitude easier than retopo and rig for a biped.

Getting proper deformations is not just about rigging.

Which is why I talk about retopo of the sculpt in my first post

So DE could just have some demands for quality and say if your mesh don't deform, it won't get accepted.

Oh yeah, requirements that can't be communicated well to amateurs that only manifest after players have voted on them and gotten their hopes up and then have DE rigging someone else's biped, I don't think so.

It's a nightmare waiting to happen and only relevant for the tinyest of tiny section of the creators base that can sculpt, texture and retopo.

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Edited by SilentMobius

The problem is that making a new mesh requires more time to rig it before putting it in game.

That being said, I see no reason why DE couldnt just put some restrictions on the mesh changes. For example, if a 3D artist was to smooth the coils on mags arms, then that should basically just be a copy and past operation of the existing rig and it wouldn't cause any issues.

Hell DE could even package in some animations into the tennogen tool so that when you are viewing it you can see if the changed model would have any issues.

I dont see why DE doesnt put a little time into making mesh changes a think artist can do since de would be able to charge like 10$ for a fully meshed skin and i bet a lot more people would buy them if they were custom meshes.

Using the same mesh reduces the data size of the game, as they do not have to install all the new Tennogen meshes for the frames with each time they add Tennogen. DE also doesn't want the overall profile of the frame to change heavily. I can imagine allowing people to change the Primes may come in the future, but its slim. There very well could be a specific lore reason behind it, on top of everything.