Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Verbal abuse and Vay Hek [Plague Star]

Edgarhighman

On 2018-04-18 at 4:15 PM, pickhead said:

I have read every comment and it is clear that none of the people saying to 'get over it' have any understanding of mental health issues. I have mild autism and ADHD, with a severely depressed brother and a sister with extreme anxiety. To say 'get over it' in this context is like feeding someone with a nut allergy a peanut butter sandwich and telling them to get over the swelling on their face and in their airways. It won't do anything useful because it can't do anything useful. Now, something that nobody appears to have thought of yet: a solution that pleases both parties. If there was a transmission profanity filter that can be enabled in settings, then people who find Vay Hek (or any boss) offensive can ignore it without impacting on the rest of the Warframe community. Honestly, I thought the warframe community would have more compassion than this.

Or you just turn of transmissions or audio, done

Why eat peanutbutter when you are allergic to nuts when you can just remove all the nuts entirely? Just remove the nuts... coz nobody is forcing you to eat them

Edited by (PS4)Schobii564

• 2 weeks later...

I admire your courage for speaking out on this issue! While I feel that it is difficult to represent negative behaviors without potentially offending or even hurting someone (by way of dredging up genuine trauma), I also feel that Vay Hek in particular has a remarkable ability to spew sandpaper for the ears. Arguably it makes him more fun to kill or thwart, but in content likely to be repeated a great deal, he is perhaps not the best choice for running commentary.

In my own perception, the classy villains are generally more fun to listen to than the blunter, angrier, blatantly abusive types. Both should probably exist for contrast's sake, but the latter should not, ideally, take up too much space in the overall experience. For instance, the Joker's running commentary in Batman: Arkham Asylum, offering amused little quips as his own men are gradually hunted down and choked unconscious by the player, was one of the best and most distinctive parts of those games for me. Looping back to Warframe, I feel Tyl Regor was closer to this with his relatively varied vocal output and phrasings, even if he did still get very tiresome by the time I'd finished obtaining all the parts for Equinox...

So yeah. Maybe a bit less Vay Hek, and a bit more of the less obnoxious antagonists? Again, Vay Hek has his place in the canon, just... maybe not front and center too often..? Just my personal opinion.^^

Speaking as someone who jumped from school to school due to teachers who verbally abused me, destroyed personal belongings, and repeatedly called me the very words "failiure" and "r**ard" because of my autism, thus bringing about a long battle with depression into my highschool years...

...this is a non-issue. If you are offended by Vay Hek, disable transmissions. If you're not, do not pre-emptively get offended on the behalf of others. We have the autonomy to make up our own minds and take measures to avoid things that hurt our feelings, and censorship to "protect" us helps no one.

Sorry if I came off as blunt or rude; this is a touchy subject for me. And don't get me wrong: I appreciate the concern and don't condemn those who do care for us. I just think a more personal approach to such trauma is far more effective. If someone's scraped their knee, put a band-aid on it; don't wrap them in bubble-wrap so they can't scrape it in the first place. 

Edited by The_Tiddler
Wiped off some of the salt.

On 2018-04-14 at 6:08 AM, Edgarhighman said:

I know you guys meant NO HARM, and that for many this means nothing, but in reality, doing this mission over and over does have an affect on people. "Just turn off X sound" right? I'd rather not have to modify my entire gaming experience because of one repeated negative phrase.

As a once in a while mission, it wouldn't be a problem, but as we're meant to repeatedly grind and re-do this mission to unlock rewards and stock up on limited event goodies it  can become unintentionally harmful. I noticed within the first few hours of grinding the event, and took a break for 5-ish days of it, but upon returning to the event I figured I'd post this before something so small could/would be used again and end up affecting people.

I really tried to think this over while being empathetic to you feeling bad at Vay Hek's abuse.

Honestly, I think the problem lies in you grinding the mission. You think of it - per your own words - as "we're meant to repeatedly grind and re-do this mission". You grind it for hours. And per your own words, "as a once in a while mission, it wouldn't be a problem".

My advice is: stop grinding this mission on repeat. Imo, none of the missions in Warframe are "meant" to be done hours upon hours on repeat. The game itself even advises you to take a break every hour. Grinding missions is frustrating and this exacerbates issues one already feels bad about.

Do this content more casually, and it won't grind on your nerves.