Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why the Scythe Changes?

Dod-Regnbue

Il y a 3 heures, DrBorris a dit :

The reason DE is considering just making Scythes heavy blades is because to "make them longer" and "make a new stance" is a ton more work than just "make them longer" and "apply a current stance". It takes a lot of development time to create a new stance, and I can't deny that I would love to have the current Scythe stances reworked/buffed to fit larger, scaled up weapons, but that process would entail basically making two new stances from scratch.

Making Scythes Heavy Blades has the best time versus reward proportion. Maybe scale up the Scythes, let them use the Heavy Blade stances, then work on a Scythe specific stance once the craziness of Venus open-world and The Sacrifice calms down.

I get that part and I know it's easier said than done. But I'm still worried about making them heavy blade will just result on some lazyness and let them heavy blade cause nobody will use them (I don't really think any of the scythes will do better than galatine but I could be wrong if they change the stats + a riven).

They don't have to make them bigger now. I mean, they could wait after the venus and sacrifice work to rework all melees like they did with all the other weapons and makes new scythes model and stances there. It's not really mandatory to have a bigger scyth now imo.

Also, what will happen to the skins for scythes ? Will heavy blade be able to use them and scythes will be able to wear heavy blade skins ? Or all scythes skin will be unavailable for now ?

Scythes would need a few fixes in conjunction with each other for them to be fine.
Increasing their stat range and visual range. Width and Length. Tweaking both stance modifiers. Fun fact: Scythes and Daggers have roughly the same range at 2m and 1.8m
Even touching their stats a bit so they actually have tradeoffs for their downsides. Only the Caustalyst is truly in a good spot ignoring the 2m range it has.
There's no need to make them use HB stances, since you just have to change the hand placements on the animations and increase the hitboxes.
From what DE showed recently though, they just want to increase the handle length (with the blades still being tiny) and just let them use HB stances.
Which clearly isn't enough.

There is even more an issue.

Scythes are held like a polearm (just select a scythe and a polearm after, the position of hands does not change), heavy weapons do not.

I admit, "Stalking Fan" on ANY Scythe (i use Anku right now) is Fun af. Now Imagine that stance on a Galatine, how is the Galatine supposed to be twirled?

This idea isn't well thought. I am kore for a rwork, not integration to remove Scythes.

On 4/14/2018 at 12:20 PM, Senketsu_ said:

Because Scythes are two handed weapons. My brother loves scythes but hates them and doesn't use them in WF because they arent actual scythes. What the scythes are now are what sickles and kamas are irl. a scythes is pretty much a polearm. and no scythes arent even close to the most powerful weapon class. the are mid tier at best. 

the term you are looking for is pick axe lmao especially what they're trying to do in mixing them with heavy weapons. im down for larger scythes (i love aesthetics) but hecks no to the heavy blade mix up, i like the idea of Scythes being their own class they just need a little more work. omg i cant stand to use heavy blade stances on my zaw scythe its sickening playing whack-a-mole with a scythe like no pls XD

Honestly this isn't a small problem and I think myself, and many others who have waited years for DE to do something proper for scythes, wouldn't mind waiting a few more months for a non half-assed solution.

I honestly think scythes should go the Dark Split Sword route and just have a stance that transforms the current reapers into larger, proper scythes.

That's one new stance and effectively 5 new weapons and we finally get the "pickaxe" problem squared away, with everyone happy. 

Alternatively, I'm fine with  just creating a seperate, new great-scythe weapon class but if that does happen, please give us an Ether Great-Scythe.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:25 PM, NightmareT12 said:

Or we can create proper two handed scythes in a new weapon category with new animations and idles and all that bring the "reaper" feel instead of destroying a weapon class some people enjoy and destroy the art assets by making them larger unlike they are intended, all while fusing them in the Heavy Blade category and making them lose any identity currently had.

It's a stop-gap before they either remove stances entirely or redesign all of them for usability. Nobody is gonna create a new moveset when they still don't have a direction on what to do with the current ones.

Edited by Naqel

I think they should keep the current scythes and just call them Kamas or Zaghnals, , , , , (increase their range a bit, yes)

and make new two-handed scythes that befit a reaper, with wide, sweeping, slashing arcs - perhaps make them the ideal aerial weapon, with globe-like slashes in the air that can still hit enemies below you, and anything trying to stay airborne and out of most melee weapons' reaches.

OR

allow the stance modded into them change them from one-handed to two-handed mode, with appropriate size changing (including: bigger blade)

The hand-scythes can keep the king of status title, giving crits to daggers, maybe, as a differentiation, and make them more suitable to attacking lower units (crawlers, etc). Up the damage on the large scythe (called Sickles now?) in comparison - use the same stat split on the weapons as those with alt-fire modes, so they can be different when small or big.

Just some thoughts on how to handle it.