Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

lets talk about the snipetron... and i suppose lanka, too

DeckChairVonBananaCamel

Part 1: Snipetron's name

It has been recently laughed about on a devstream, and rightly so as it is a pretty silly name.
Now, i know not all corpus weapons follow the "corpus naming convention" of a 2 syllable latin word, often (but not always) ending in "a", but the snipetron about as far from it as it could be, alongside the likes of the flux rifle1.

I've found what i personally think is a suitable replacement: Praeda

According to google translate (i know, not the greatest authority on these things) "praeda" can mean either "prey" or "profit" which, ill hope you agree, is befitting of both a sniper rifle and a corpus weapon.

Other possible alternatives i found include:

• Fanus: Profit, gain
  • Cuspis: Point, spear, lance
  • Impes: violence, attack, distance
  • Caesum: Pause, stop

1. I suppose we could rename that, too. How about "stigma" which means "cut".... but like, the noun version... so it doesn't really work, does it?

Part 2: Visually identical to Lanka

Once upon a time, people rightfully waggled their fingers at DE for having the Gram and Plasma Sword be visually identical (only different sizes), and DE agreed and gave the gram a makeover. However the Snipetron and Lanka have shared an identical design ever since the Lanka was introduced in update 8.

So what if we redesigned the two like so:
194d9oY.png

Any thoughts from you lot? any budding/experienced artists who want to have a crack at making some new corpus snipers? anyone here know latin and could come up with a better name than "praeda"? (or at least a good name for the flux rifle)

Edit: @Runiq had an excellent point that there are probably a bunch of people who would prefer the classic skin, so if DE do change them it would be nice to see people who already have these weapons be given a "Snipetron" skin that allows them to switch to the old design

Edited by DeckChairVonBananaCamel

Personally, I like your both concepts, but if dedicated Snipetron fans prefer the classic look, I would leave that be.

Lanka, on the other hand, is simply superb and I bow to your MS Paint skills.

Let someone send this to DE immediately.

58 minutes ago, Runiq said:

Personally, I like your both concepts, but if dedicated Snipetron fans prefer the classic look, I would leave that be.

Yeah, Snipetron should keep it's current look (which looks like like a sniper with an older corpus aesthetic) while the Lanka gets redesigned to look more like what it probably should be (a railgun/gauss rifle with a newer corpus aesthetic)

5 hours ago, Runiq said:

i suppose a classic "snipetron" skin could be given out to all the current owners of snipetron/lanka that allows them to switch to the old design if they prefer it?

The "whatever this part is called" is probably part of the "upper" receiver. Would need a deconstructed version to confirm. That part of it on the classic bullet-based version would be functioning as a foregrip and barrel shroud more than anything else, but the Lanka it probably houses more of the plasma-caster electronics.

Snipetron Vandal is "readily" obtainable through Invasions, so updating the model would actually serve a purpose. I also (mostly) like both of your model change suggestions.

Unless the gun is being reintroduced, I'd suggest leaving the name alone. It's not terrible, it's just a relic from a bygone era.

If you need a new image manip program, win10 comes with Paint3D which is pretty good, and GIMP is basically poor man's photoshop. I do a lot of work with GIMP myself.

18 hours ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

i suppose a classic "snipetron" skin could be given out to all the current owners of snipetron/lanka that allows them to switch to the old design if they prefer it?

That would be a great move from DE, in my opinion.

I only wonder what about the shock camo skin, currently shared by both weapons.
Would it then be restricted to Snipetron or still available for Lanka too, as a sort of "legacy" skin?

2 hours ago, Runiq said:

That would be a great move from DE, in my opinion.

I only wonder what about the shock camo skin, currently shared by both weapons.
Would it then be restricted to Snipetron or still available for Lanka too, as a sort of "legacy" skin?

oh its my absolute intention that the classic skin would be available for both

i also wish that DE released a legacy skin for the braton, even though i seem to be the only one who preferred its boxy design

That "Section" is, I presume, a heat shield. It's so that the guy holding it isn't touching the barrel itself, since said barrel tends to heat up. On older, wooden guns, it'd be called a forestock, because the entire wooden section is called the stock, whereas modern ones the stock is just the part you hold to your shoulder.

On wood ones, that part's called the butt.

Which is why hitting someone with the back end of your rifle, is called a Buttstroke.

Vertical_butt_stroke_smash.jpg

And yes, I did go on that tangent just so I can say buttstroke.

Edited by Serialkillerwhale

The 'whatever this is part' would be considered the 'handguard'. I do take issue with the new lanka design having an ejection port (this is where spent casings are ejected/extracted) as it's essentially a 'caseless' ammunition railgun (caseless best describes the lanka imo). Other than the ejection port needing to be on the snipetron, not the lanka and a slight tweak to the snipetron scope rail you did a wonderful job. I'd love to see them.

20180420_122654.png

Edited by (PS4)Multi-Melta

13 hours ago, (PS4)Multi-Melta said:

The 'whatever this is part' would be considered the 'handguard'. I do take issue with the new lanka design having an ejection port (this is where spent casings are ejected/extracted) as it's essentially a 'caseless' ammunition railgun (caseless best describes the lanka imo). Other than the ejection port needing to be on the snipetron, not the lanka and a slight tweak to the snipetron scope rail you did a wonderful job. I'd love to see them.

20180420_122654.png

i used that lighter bit to make the ejection port for the snipetron, but i think on the actual model it's some sort of protruding cylinder section, so its there as more of a power cell or something.

13 hours ago, (PS4)Jaztok said:

OP, how good are you at the 3d modelling stuff the Tennogen people use to create things? I am thinking this could become skins if someone actually put them in the game. You may not be able to change to the base model, but having them be Tennogen might be possible and easier to accomplish.

lol, last time i did anything with 3d was quake 2 map making in the mid to late 2000's