Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A most Peculiar workshop.

[DE]Rebecca

I haven’t read all of the comments, so if anyone else already said this, mea culpa.

It might be interesting to see these rewards work similar to relic rewards, where you are given a range of options (3 or so), with one being a peculiar mod. This way, players who want to avoid peculiars have 2 more options, while those who want peculiars can choose that. Then, if more peculiars are added, it could work similar to a drop table, with certain peculiars only being available after a certain wave, just to show off to other players, like “yeah, I got to wave 13 and got this peculiar mod”.

im personally fine with these fun and quirky mods being added and am more then likely going to make some fun builds on some weapons 

im also hoping for a Borderlands 2 Bane'ish sound for Primary's that would make my life so much better 

maybe not my squad mates.....

but i mean turning off the sound is an option :clem:

I wanna talk about the execution 

I don’t think putting flowers on enemies is is really ‘insulting’ them, and it’s more ‘clowny’ than peculiar 

I think stuff like changing how the wep sounds (a heavy gun sound), what bullets it shoots (a missil shooting bow/auto rifle?), painting you in red for example when you do a kill (based on energy color...this you turn into an energy ninja????)....etc. stuff like this that are cool and kinda feels like they might be in the game. I think you’re trying to go way bizzare with this one thus making the wrong impression on many ppl 

You just need to make it appealing with warframe’s context 

a few of the biggest problems i have with them are

- they take up a mod slot and should be a cosmetic item, like an attachment for a gun

- they could clutter the drop tables, meaning the things you are actually there for you most likely won't get

i think if DE fixed both those things personally i have no problem with them and i think they would be a very welcome addition to warframe 

I think the community as a whole will want the peculiar mods on a vanity slot. Which is understandable. Imagine the toxic outlash in public sorties - or any later game map for that matter - when someone sees the flowers or any other vanity effect, then knows someone didnt mod for all the damage the potentially could have and that will probably result in some verbal (textual) altercations. Personally I'm not against the idea, but i'd probably only use it in non-serious gameplay since I'm a stickler for efficiency.

I think if these effects are going to be put in a vanity slot they should be more difficult to acquire, perhaps a separate standing meter with simarus that doesnt go up additively but your standing is the highest stage of onslaught you've reached x1000, so if you've cleared 4 portals your standing is 4,000 - but if you run it again and only get 3 portals cleared, you still only have 4,000 standing. And specific vanity effects are locked behind different amounts of standing - which you will be able to acquire at no charge since your standing is a static value of the highest number of portals you've cleared. Then the effects can be tiered and some more difficult-to-acquire effects will be more revered by players who understand the system / high level players - while still keeping some effects mixed in with the drops you'll find alongside Khora pieces. In this case you will also have your highest amount cleared in your profile, which I think is going to be important. I'd compare this mode to Diablo's greater rifts and I hope we see some ridiculously impossible stuff we have to figure out how to clear in the later levels! The only problem I could see here being critical of my own writing is that once people acquire some of the harder-to-acquire items they may want to stop playing onslaught. So hopefully the amount of focus will be a good fallback, or even have standing reset monthly so people will want to keep coming back even after maxing out focus for different prizes each month or so.

The only footage I've seen was Rebecca playing on the latest devstream, so I dont know exactly how we tell our highest score or how the system is implemented, and I'm sure DE has done a great job. I just feel this would be a nice system, personally I'm imagining a general MMO PvE ladder being mixed the the concept of most MMOs having absolutely ridiculous items at very high levels, and I think there should be some major barriers for some of these effects so there will be a mutual respect for those who use them instead of people just moaning and groaning that you aren't using more damage or just being disinterested with the whole concept if it becomes a vanity slot.

This is also just a little dream of mine, but maybe at a very sensible high level we can see some vaulted relics drop? :)

Anything that breaks immersion irks me. As it stands, the only thing I really couldn't stand in the game is Octavia's visuals, overall silliness and passive "game"play. These mods would join Octavia on my personal "nope, not ever"-list. I would much rather no significant design resources were devoted to this and if it makes it into the game in any form, please have an option to disable it so I don't have to look at it. It doesn't fit with your current epeen philosophy but if you go the route of a vanity slot so it doesn't cost people anything to equip these mods, then it becomes really important to be able to disable it.

This really brings me memories of Call of Duty 4, where there was a modifier in the single-player campaign that made killed enemies explode into a bunch of tires. Add in unlimited explosive ammo, and the whole map was just erupting in black rubbery donut holes.

So like make sure their effects are isolated to the person who equipped them or ensure we have the options to turn off their effects in options and we're good regardless of further changes. That alone will make them benign at worst. Otherwise somebody finds one that plays a loud noise on crit and puts it on a high firerate high crit weapon and makes everybody else miserable. Only other change I could ask for is for them to not cost capacity or use existing mod slots. Doing cool cosmetic stuff is not really worth sacrificing effectiveness for and most builds are already pretty full. That said I don't need that I just want that. I need to be able to prevent other players from trolling me with them, and isolating their effects or giving me the options to turn them off solves that.

As long as there's a toggle, I'll whole-heartedly embrace these mods with enthusiasm. If there isn't any way to disable them, then this game will, in all seriousness, be LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE for me. 

I will simply say that I don't support the idea of peculiar mods and I certainly don't want to see them.

Thankfully some one already offered a good suggestion and I approve of this.

V   V    V    V    V    V     V     V    V

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Give an option for those that have a dislike for them and feel they are just moronic as an overall idea.

Would be pretty easy to just add it in the settings:

- Enable All

- Disable Audio Peculiars

- Disable Visual Peculiars

- Disable All

I'm thrilled to hear there's going to be something that I'll desperately desire to wear at the cost of my strength. This is the endgame I'd love to chase. It's not a matter of "How strong are you?" but a matter of "How do you play?"

Make these cost an absolute arm and a leg. Make them nigh impossible to get. Preach to the elitists and give people a reason to try and get better at this game. I don't think there is a large enough pool of usable, impactful, "endgame" elements in Warframe to really strive to get. Primes and MR are a time based grind, Arcanes and Rivens are an RNG die roll, and Focus is a chore (praise be new changes, Eidolons helped so damn much. I imagine all my "meta" gripes are annihilated after Sanctuary Onslaught. hype.)

Clan research is an amazing system. Progress, team building, the slow build and anticipation of it, top notch. Plague Star's rep system? Kudos. Absolutely love spending 20min having fun and blastin' mans to make 4 Sentirum, no sarcasm. The drive to finish a set of Arcanes or to make sure you're covered on Zaw parts is really motivating too. Any system that could show clear, planned progress toward a user defined goal would work wonders. I really do enjoy Focus, it's just the acquisition of it that needs a kicker in my opinion.

An achievement system could likely do something like this, akin to Riven Challenges. Ranking the mod from level 4 to 5 could say "Clear 5 waves Rank A or higher" instead of Endo. Users could see mods level when they finished a successful mission the way a Riven unlocks. This sounds like a behemoth task, but finding a way to force players to earn these challenges themselves with an inability to be carried through it would do wonders. ("YOU have to get a score of ___") 

If my rifle will shoot rainbows I'll happily give up that extra crit chance. If someone in my party goes "uggh, another rainbow dude..." that just means these things were too easy to acquire, too easy to rank up, and they don't punish you enough for wearing them. "rainbow dudes" should be rare and the vibrant, shining, rank 10 rainbow dudes should be even rarer. Yes, you will see them in Fissures and Alerts but likely much less often than an MR25. You can't please everyone and here, I don't think you should try.

This might be foolhardy, but I'm not sure I'd mind if these were unable to be traded. No buying your way to cool, just a badge of honor that you can handle yourself.

PS: No idea what to do with style and game theme. A "toggle particulars" option in the menu like others have suggested.. maybe. Personally I'm all for loony tunes and memes, but I understand that could wreck some new player experiences. The crazier the effect, the more impossible to obtain? You're all wiser than me, my arms are in the air!

PPS: I freakin' love this game. Nothing but anticipation for these and I hope you take as much time as it takes to do it the way you want it done.

Edit: I absolutely forgot to mention that Operator and Zaw arcanes are phenomenal. It's the RNG drop ones that I'm referring to.

As others have requested, please make peculiar mod effects only visible/audible client side or have a toggle option to disable their effects client side. If people would like to sprout flowers out of a Butcher's head that's a-okay, but please also consider the players who have low end PCs and/or feel like the concept is too out-of-the typical warframe aesthetic/too comical.

First and foremost I'm totally for Peculiar mods, but I like goofy novel things. I would only say have an ability in the display to toggle on or off the effects of peculiar mods so that other people don't get annoyed by some of the more spammy or obnoxious effects if needed.

Regarding the distribution of the mods themselves, one potential option is to add peculiar mods to Simaris' inventory. This would both allow those to get it if they want it, but also prevent the issue of 'what do you do with more of these mods aside from break down into endo' when you get it as a drop from the mission type. Granted, this would mean that peculiar mods are no longer tied to the sanctuary onslaught itself, but I think it would be an overall better option. People that don't like them won't feel like the drop pool is 'muddied' and the people that want them won't have the play onslaught only to get it.

AND A SIDE SUGGESTION FOR SANCTUARY ONSLAUGHT: Low tier rewards (like A rotation or something) should be higher than average amount of Polymer bundles. Of all the resources, it seems like this resource in particular is the most burned even by long time players. I would also really dig more completed forma drops and a way to get Orokin Reactors and Catalysts, even if it's just blueprints. I'm poor, I don't have a lot of money, I rely entirely on alerts for those things at all (since any time I get platinum it's to get slots or cosmetics): a way to even have a chance at getting those would be wonderful. Another suggestion? A drop that is a 'volatile' mod, which has a chance of being a random mod from the entire drop pool of mods in the game, including the Rathuum, Index, Acolyte, Ghoul, Incursion, Spy, or Keyla drop pools, that doesn't reveal itself until you finish your session in sanctuary. Enough randomness to not be a reliable farm, (since I don't want to remove the need to play certain events/game types) but also could be a really nice surprise to both long time players and players that only started this year. Plus I think it would fit, thematically.

Also, I've said this on twitter and to Steve but I gotta put it here: PLEASE I WANT A PECULIAR MOD THAT LETS ME PUT ORDIS ON MY GUN
I want pep talks and excited headshots. Please, please I want to bring my cephalon son into battle with me.

PS: Consider, a Peculiar Aura Mods

Aura of the Lotus: the warframe now has an emitter that produces Lotus symbols in the energy color of the warframe.

As a veteran, I love the idea of peculiar mods, but wish they influenced the visual and auditory aspect of the game. We as tenno blaze through levels, often, not taking time to appreciate the carnage around us, so the visual aspect of these mods may be lost on most players. However, having a squad-wide auditory experience, like squishies instead of bullet noises, would be game-changing and something I could really see myself using in actual gameplay.

Archived