Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A most Peculiar workshop.

[DE]Rebecca

honestly i'd agree with a lot of the ideas here

no loot table bloat, optional for non users, and maybe in a non mod form so you don't have to give up valuble mod space

overall, i can't wait until middle tier warframe gameplay turns into this

I think "Peculiar Mods" should function like how "Strange" weapons work in TF2. Make them a variant of an existing mod, but with a silly twist.  For example, take Infected Clip. Now make THAT into a peculiar mod. It'd be something like this:

"Dizzying sickness"

"90% Toxin Damage, 80% Chance for enemies to sneeze and see spots if combined with cold damage."

Of course, to balance this, you cannot stack it with Infected Clip because it's counted as a duplicate.

Add a new mod slot on the warframe specifically for the peculiar mod that doesn't drain capacity. Also make it so that the mod doesn't need to be upgraded. So the mod will only do "this" type of thing and upgrading shouldn't be an option because it will only do "this" type of thing. 

E.g. 'the blooming" mod would only sprout flowers out of enemies and maybe have some visual when the enemy is killed and could make a distinct audio affect.

An idea I thought up, while watching youtube a couple nights ago is, Instead of having Peculiar Mods that can kinda feck up a build if you want silly. Have "Peculiar Cores" that you transmute a set of mods into a peculiar mod. A modification to the transmutation table is this, if you have the Peculiar core, and 3 or the same mod, for example: Point Strike. And you transmute these mods, you get a Peculiar Point Strike with the peculiar core's effect, as well as +150% crit chance. There's probably a rework to transmutation in that line of thinking, but I'd personally enjoy being able to make mods peculiar, rather than droppijng needed damage or stat mods from builds to be silly for a bit.

Extremely late to the party, I know, but if these things are going to chew up a whole regular mod slot then they ought to have no polarity and take little drain. Preferably with no levels to have to spend endo and credits on á la Coolant Leak. All this talk of huge drains and stuff means you'd need to forma a frame just to fit a comsetic-only mod. Yeah I like fashionframe too but I thought DE learned their lesson (finally) when they decoupled installation of Arcanes with cosmetics. Other games have added appearence slots. Visuals and looks and fun are important to people but not so important that they're willing to make huge sacrifices to ability to perform their role in game.

I like fun stuff but my builds have become very finely tuned and balanced, and would be thrown completly out of whack just for a small joke. If we had more build slots - like a D, E and F - would help that. I'd prefer a dedicated Peculiar slot honestly, but I get the feeling that's considered to be making far too much of a new game mechanic out of what's supposed to be a bit of a giggle now and then.

My own two cents:
If mod slot == yes, then mod price <= cheap - There's plenty of weapons that I haven't bothered to forma (because I just enjoy swimming around on my little pile of forma) and therefore don't end up having all the slots filled, although their point capacity is maxed. in that case, there would be practically no reason for me to not slot one in. I'm way more forgiving of mod slots that mod price, and certainly am not shy about not caring about the meta of the game and running some super-gimmicky Zephyr build that functions like an organic A-10 warthog based on staying in the air as long as possible until I run out of ammo.

if mod slot == no, then price suddenly becomes kind of irrelevant. Perhaps if the "elite" mentality is trying to be attached to it, make different peculiars locked behind different MR. In either case, however, what is it attached to? Would you need to attach it to each and every individual weapon or warframe (if they made something with triggers more similar to arcanes)? That could get tedious but at least makes sense for a mod.

Honestly, I get the idea of the things. If I'm running things that are absurdly difficult for my group, I'm not going to waste the points or slot on something such as this, as most likely I won't be taking the time to smell the posies anyways. When I'm plodding my way through the normal early-mid game content that I enjoy doing more, there's nothing stopping me from tormenting the AI with an extra visual effect. If it costs a lot, my laziness will prevent me from inserting multiple forma into anything or everything i'd like to use it on. I do certainly agree that super-saturating drop tables with them would be overkill - but at the same time, if all the bronze mods were removed from Survival/Defense missions and replaced with a chance to roll these instead, I would exactly be crying any more than I already would when I get that "Vitality" mod at minute 50.

There is a difference between "cool fun" and "joke fun". I'm all about fun, but this "fun" is immersion breaking and turning the game into a joke. If it really has to be implemented for some reason, there must be toggle off option. If someone would nerf himself for this, fine, but i don't want his taste of fun to ruin my game experience. Also, some people have weak PC's what about them? New player, getting himself into lore, doing quests, and then see flowers on enemies. What about their experience? Toggle Off option is a must! And set "OFF" by default. For those that want it on, set limit of how many effects can be displayed at once.

I would like the game to go more serious/dark route of dangerous space. I can give Octavia a pass because it's a warframe with cool quest behind it, but that already gave me a warning about how far developers can go to give us fun. But now it's not a warning, it's an alarm!

Peculiars seem like a fun idea to me, but I agree with many of the others in saying that they would really need to have their own mod slot and cost 0 Drain. Otherwise, they're pretty much unusable at high-tier play. The idea of being able to turn them off in the options for those with older PCs is also good, performance wise and for those who simply don't care to see it.

Edit: Also, as some people have pointed out, it shouldn't be on the normal drop tables, or at least should replace some bronzes on the drop tables. I have a hard enough time getting rare mods as is, but I have received 105 pressure points in the last week or so. If a few of those were cosmetic mods, I can't say I'd be upset.

Currently theyre a waste of

Capacity

Mod slots

Drop Table slots

Computer power

The 1st 2nd can be fixed by making them use 'peculiar slots' like arcanes

3rd can be fixed by making them bought by an onslaught syndicate

The 4th can be fixed with a 'turn off' display option

If i was to ever use a special effect thing it would have to be a tag I can hang on a weapon and not something that takes a slot.

6 minutes ago, LuckyCharm said:

I'm suuuper hyped for these. I really hope theres gonna be one for hammers that makes a squeaky mallet sound on impact proc

audio mods would work I guess, not sure if I'd actually use them, just like jump mods.

Honestly, this doesn't seem like something I'd waste a mod slot on any time soon. I'm spending so much time maxing my builds out just to survive Sorties and stuff, I'm not gonna waste time adding Forma to a weapon so I can keep the build I want, while adding a Peculiar. And that's all assuming I have a mod slot to spare. This is no way in hell that I am replacing a mod I desperately need for a mod that plays a laugh track every time someone ragdolls, or a mod that makes flowers bloom across an enemy's body.

Now then, if these appeared in the Appearance section of our weapons, and could be used for fashion and such, while providing a unique game experience, then I would be more than happy to be getting these while farming the Onslaught. But as it is right now, if you plan on us replacing Mods we need, or wasting time making sure we have enough points to place them on a weapon, the I can assure you these mods will only be met with groans when they drop.

What's the point in investing time , money , and people on this type of content? 

Are you investing the money you saved from the removal of trials on this stuff?

How long do you think people will be farm this kind of mod /game mode that justifies the time , money and people that you are investing on this project?

I like the aspect of Peculiar mods, as it harbors me back to those fun lil "cheat" modes you can enable in older games like Perfect Dark or Time Splitters. (big heads, paintball mode, etc.) While I haven't read all the comments, some people have shared some interesting ideas/opinions. 

20 hours ago, Synpai said:

Unique "Peculiar" weapons in borderlands....are still weapons...

They scale with level and they have their effects for a REASON (They're not JUST cosmetic).

You make an interesting point. The unique weapons in borderlands had odd/silly mechanics, but were still weapons that did damage/had the potential to be good.

Just a thought: When you mentioned this, I immediately thought of; "What if you could get blueprints for current existing weapons in this new gamemode, but these weapons have interesting lil mechanics (like that flower effect)." While this can have problems in-&-of itself, it'd be more akin (I believe) to the point you made.

20 hours ago, (PS4)MJ-Cena7 said:

Can we have an option to turn it off i dont want to see any stupid flowers in my game the dancing is horrible enough 

This game is much better co-op but you guys are making it harder to go public lobies like this. I dont want to see pink rhinos dancing octavias and i never want to se roses i never used octavia untill he deluxe

Please for the  love of god stop with the pink stuff and shift the game to the dark umbra orokin theme the new UI is a perfect step in the right direction please continue like that 

I understand/support having the ability for other players to turn off/disable the peculiar mods feature(s).

That being said;
I suppose that's the nice thing about Warframe. It allows different tenno (from different walks of life & personal tastes) to choose how they wish to play/look. I see the option of flexibility as a good thing, as (I personally) enjoy to see what different tenno from the community come up with. 
So long as it's not hurting/hindering other tenno, then I see no issue with it. 

20 hours ago, _Ruby_Rose_ said:

They are combined with an existing mod
So it's a basically a Point Strike (i think thats the mod) with that peculiar mod.
Mogamu says it as well

If that's true, it'd harbor more back to what Synpai (and a handful of others) are concerned about. 
This concept would definitely be interesting (especially if they were added to useful, but less popular mods) to encourage players to switch up their builds a lil. 

17 minutes ago, Owlski said:

You make an interesting point. The unique weapons in borderlands had odd/silly mechanics, but were still weapons that did damage/had the potential to be good.

Just a thought: When you mentioned this, I immediately thought of; "What if you could get blueprints for current existing weapons in this new gamemode, but these weapons have interesting lil mechanics (like that flower effect)." While this can have problems in-&-of itself, it'd be more akin (I believe) to the point you made.

It was more to point out that the "Peculiar" aspect doesn't have to cancel out the mod part; Arsenal is plenty cluttered as is.

However, I believe they're juggling "If you make it a mod then people will equip as many as possible" = RiP performance.

So, I was thinking about this a bit more after my post.  I still look forward to this.  I still think having the ability to turn effects off may be good for other players.  

How about this have the peculiar mods like the alerts or nightmare mode?  For example have a notification possibly from Simaris just before you enter the mode.  Something like he detects a strangeness.  And that way on that day or at that time you know Peculiar mods are in the drop pool.  This way before people start they kind of know what they are getting into.  If you don't get that message, that means they aren't in the pool.

Also I get people want their dark and brooding immersion.  Space ninjas and serious stuff.  But as I see Pink Rhinos with butterfly wings, gundam-ish looking frames, and etc. I can't help but think, will it really break immersion?

Please don't give these stats.

Please don't make them filterable in settings.

Make them 24 drain with Unairu polarity for all I care.

This idea is cool and I hate to see all these suggestions by people completely missing the point and asking DE to totally neuter it.

47 minutes ago, Owlski said:

If that's true, it'd harbor more back to what Synpai (and a handful of others) are concerned about. 
This concept would definitely be interesting (especially if they were added to useful, but less popular mods) to encourage players to switch up their builds a lil. 

Imagine a maxed Auto Parry 
:thonky:

I wrote this in another topic but since this is the official one, let's repeat it so DE can make their statistics easy.

I don't care about these mods at all and I'd never use them. But if people want them, then let them be, just make them purchasable from the market for plats, or from Baro, or with Simaris standing as someone suggested, at least they won't be in the way on the drop tables for those who don't care at all like me.

Before ever hearing about peculiar mods I was actually having a thought of my own on something similar.....

In the real world there is this thing called blood splatter.  Peculiar mods could be the perfect mechanic for what I was thinking...  But essentially I just wanted every melee slash and stab at an enemy to fling blood on the ceilings, walls, and floors.   When you actually kill enemies it would be cool if they exploded in a fountain of blood or massive pools of blood formed at thier corpse.   Basicly I just wanted the blood factor turned up to 11.  

Did anyone play Vandal Hearts on playstation 1??  watch some clips on youtube.   Enemies deaths were so cool in that game.  All the screaming and blood everytime you killed somebody.   Hasnt really been a game like that since.   

Only other idea is to turn enemies into hot naked girls 

Peculiars should only affect the user.   That way we dont have to see other peoples garbage.  

Archived