Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A most Peculiar workshop.

[DE]Rebecca

Tenno!

If you participated in this past-Friday's presentation of Peculiarities, you perhaps were perplexed or pumped for a potential offering: Peculiar Mods!
ad69906a8bb730e677eb4320d70f7f96.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words. Flowers growing out of an enemy? Talk about adding insult to injury.... and that's the idea. Mods that are simply Peculiar in their offerings, and a little degrading to the enemy.

We teased this back at a Panel (to a limited audience, but some videos spread), and debuted these in last Friday's Devstream. And the reactions have been equally peculiar - genuine excitement, genuine confusion, genuine disinterest. But there's also been genuine discussion on 'what I'd like Peculiars to be'. Which means there's certainly interest in the concept, it's the execution that has people talking most!

And that's the point of this brief Workshop: concept & execution.

We are going to launch with one Peculiar Mod in Sanctuary Onslaught, the 'Blooming Mod' displayed on Stream. An appetizer of the full offerings. Then, we're going to take a closer look at reception of this to determine future concept and execution. We don't want to commit a full offering of Peculiar Mods to an avenue that people invest countless Endo, Credits, and Time into only to potentially change the idea entirely shortly after. But launching with the Mod we debuted allows you to experience and give feedback on the concept and execution, and it allows us to measure engagement!

TL;DR: We're going to launch with only one Peculiar Mod in Sanctuary Onslaught because we might change the execution of idea entirely, trying to stay true to the concept.

Thank you for all the lively debate so far on the topic - Lotus wants her flower power!

9 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Give an option for those that have a dislike for them and feel they are just moronic as an overall idea.

Would be pretty easy to just add it in the settings:

- Enable All

- Disable Audio Peculiars

- Disable Visual Peculiars

- Disable All

Glad to hear it's being pulled back on. I, for one, don't want loads of this kind of nonsense cluttering my reward tables and have been greatly concerned by the idea. If they are available in ways in which I can completely avoid them (Vendors like Baro for instance), I really don't care whether they are in the game or not. If they are getting in the way of me getting something I actually want or will be useful, I'm not thrilled with them being in the game.

And here I was feeling like history was about to repeat itself.

I know that it means nothing until I feel the mods firsthand, but I have a question pounding in my head:
How many people currently use the bullet jump mods?

I can't remember the last time I've seen or used one. I enjoy the way they look and they have a pretty decent bonus to mobility.

To me these peculiar mods rehash the problem arcane helmets and arcane enhancements have/had (really hate history repeating), such that players are again being forced to make a choice between appearance and power... which you (DE) have said you don't want far too many times to keep doing it.

You mentioned specifically that this was aimed to show how big and bad one is by sacrificing a mod slot...and the only players able to really do that are Vets of some kind but it's also apart of the drop table, so one way or another you're gonna have to deal with it and although some will have their fun with it, some will not, but it's possible for both to be happy (Speaking of....I'm not sure why we don't get a choice between rewards in some way?).

Not to mention, Rebecca referenced "The Bane" in Borderlands 2, but kinda just threw out the other half of the game.

Unique "Peculiar" weapons in borderlands....are still weapons...

They scale with level and they have their effects for a REASON (They're not JUST cosmetic).

The Bane (From the BL2 Wiki)

"Greatly increased damage, increased magazine size, greatly decreased initial accuracy. Unique voice module. While equipped, movement speed is greatly

The fact that the weapon happens to make goofy noises and slows the player to a crawl, is counteracted by crazy damage, magazine size and accuracy. 

All I care about this mods is an option in the settings to disable them so I don't render them. It's already a pain that recently the game drops frames like no tomorrow when playing with other people (pretty much ever since the hotfix that killed the settings which there are still settings not working properly and still haven't been fixed) because the game doesn't want to use the CPU to it's fullest and caps at 50% (and to add insult to injury it divides the load between all cores), I don't need more ways of killing the frame rate.

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

Give an option for those that have a dislike for them and feel they are just moronic as an overall idea.

Would be pretty easy to just add it in the settings:

- Enable All

- Disable Audio Peculiars

- Disable Visual Peculiars

- Disable All

There we go. Problem solved in its entirety. Someone give this human a cookie.

I think they should be out of the drop tables.

Make them purchasable with Simaris standings.

I'm pretty much indifferent to them, won't ever use them but won't get angry if others do.

I will purchase them for sure for the sake of completition, but forcing them in the drop table I think it's too much for those who not desire to see them in game.

Honestly, while this does seem like a great thing, I don't think I'll stop and smell the roses all the time. One of my biggest concerns is, will they take up a regular mod slot? If yes, giving it its own mod slot might be better. 

Can we have an option to turn it off i dont want to see any stupid flowers in my game the dancing is horrible enough 

This game is much better co-op but you guys are making it harder to go public lobies like this. I dont want to see pink rhinos dancing octavias and i never want to se roses i never used octavia untill he deluxe

Please for the  love of god stop with the pink stuff and shift the game to the dark umbra orokin theme the new UI is a perfect step in the right direction please continue like that 

Just now, CapAllan said:

Honestly, while this does seem like a great thing, I don't think I'll stop and smell the roses all the time. One of my biggest concerns is, will they take up a regular mod slot? If yes, giving it its own mod slot might be better. 

You've missed the point entirely.

Have at least the first instance of Peculiar Mods be syndicate connected 

Flowers = New Loka

Red Crystals = Red Veil

Cephalon Floating squares from Cephalon Suda

and so forth.

Especially with so many different places we can collect mods and various other things I am pretty sure some people are just trying to find ways to spend standing in all the factions. Especially Cephalon Simaris I personally never actually do his missions anymore.

No doubt by the time I even get my hands on one (because of course it'll be a rare, just like every new Stance that gets hyped up), its plat value will probably have plummeted due to the novelty wearing off. No thanks. I'll wait patiently for more Augment, Nightmare and Set mods.

Since that some people like the peculiar mods, some don't, we suggest that the mods should be in alerts that only unlocks when they reached specific wave in the upcoming Sanctuary Onslaught just like alerts unlock when players unlocks a mission node. So that players have the choice for "having fun" gameplay or serious gameplay because of the peculiar mods seems to be like easter eggs of the game and it doesn't mess the Onslaught reward table where players may want to farm "hard-to-get" resources, mods or items. So it's a win-win situation for most. Besides the peculiar mods should have other effects too to support the cosmetics effects so it wouldn't be useless on weaps with low critical chance for example but with lower effectiveness than other mods since it's cosmetic mods.

•  

I feel like Peculiarities should cause "cool" effects. For example, weapons with additional visual effects, spectacular auras around Warframes and stuff like that. The effects should still be kept discreet and stay true to the sci-fi theme. I think flowers are an immersion breaker.. It gives me that Tera feeling where everything is a single cluster #*!% of artstyles.:awkward:

I mentioned this to Steve on twitter but I have no problems with silly mods IF they are for a limited event, for example in World of Warships for Halloween they created a whole series of new skins for the ships making them look like Victorian era steam punk type ships and a whole new spooky map, BUT, it was just for Halloween. My point is now you will have to actually dedicate resources to maintain these silly mods if you release them for the actual game when those resources could be more wisely used to either fix things or create things that better serve the game itself. As I said silly mods are fine but on a temporary bases. 

Archived