Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A most Peculiar workshop.

[DE]Rebecca

An idea would be making this mod even more peculiar, linking them to specific weapons, like the less used buzlok or paracyst. In this way u don't build these weapon to make some damage but just for fun. Plus, if it's possible to make some Simaris syndacate proc damage, like all other syndacates, will be more comprehensible to add these mods to the build

11 hours ago, (PS4)OmegaSlayer said:

I think they should be out of the drop tables.

Make them purchasable with Simaris standings.

I'm pretty much indifferent to them, won't ever use them but won't get angry if others do.

I will purchase them for sure for the sake of completition, but forcing them in the drop table I think it's too much for those who not desire to see them in game.

There's an idea, onslaught gives Simaris standing - Simaris gets new offerings including peculiars.

I still feel like the overall execution of them taking a slot and capacity is bad, but that's just me and my irritation that the game's mod system is so diluted now that the vast majority of my mods never get used talking. I'd like to see a bigger overhaul to the modding and weapon/warframe enhancement system but I know that would never happen, it's just too big a project and there's already such a huge amount of time and commitment into the current system that they'll never do it...

I still hope for a day when I hear the devs say that 'mandatory mods' are being isolated and rolled into a weapon enhancement system while the more unique and situational mods are going to be the mod card system from that point forward. I can dream.

2 hours ago, MarrikBroom said:

-snip-

Except that that would piss off lore-loving players like me, and Steve has directly said that the point is strange and quirky without being super meta and obnoxious. If they exist, then they have a lore reason to exist, and they then need to fit in the lore. Remember that this game is, and always has been (even if most didn't see it a couple years ago) an unfolding story in a world that actually does make some damn sense. The game can be fun and and humorous without being stupid and obnoxious. train noise rhino or the literal devs just talking in the game world: stupid, obnoxious, and immersion breaking; flowers sprouting from the wounds of your enemies: fun and humorous.

I don't think they should take up a mod slot for one, no one is going to sacrifice important mod slots for a pretty effect, make them an accessories item that you apply when customizing the weapon.

They should not be part of drop tables of any sort no one wants to do a mission for a new frame or an actually useful mod to end up getting one of these. As others here have suggested you should put them in the simaris syndicate store. 

Include a setting in options to disable them for those that don't want to see them.

And finally, the most important thing is they need to stay true to warframe's art style, its one of the most important parts of this game and its identity, no other game looks like warframe and that's great, these peculiar mods should be types of particle effects or visuals that fit the look and feel of the universe, weird little (and honestly sloppy looking) flowers growing all over an enemy because you shot it doesnt real suit the look and feel.

Well, one mod isn't going to be enough for me to decide how good of an idea this is. For example, I don't like putting out of place flowers on my enemies, it's just plain dumb. But if there was another mod besides it, for example for Ignis, which makes an enemy with a burning status explode , that would be a completely different story because my expectations for the future mods will be a bit more broader. One sample is not enough is all I'm saying, especially with that flower mod as the representative.

Here's my thoughts on the topic: we really don't need the slots for these sorts of things or attached stats (although QoL stats in addition to the effects would be nice), because the point of these mods is specifically to show that you can sacrifice some power for a visual effect. I don't see a point to add these mods if they don't make any kind of a statement. But, I do think they should be 0-rank, 0-capacity mods, because it really makes no sense to waste valuable materials on something that you lose power to use -- them taking up weapon slots should be enough of a sacrifice.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing those in my games -- if your teammates really wanted to piss you off, Peculiars would be mild in comparison to what we already have (*cough* *cough* Mirage *cough* Octavia *cough*), but the ability to turn them off (much like you can turn off ally Octavia music) would be much appreciated.

Finally, them being a drop from enemies (or maybe a specific miniboss *cough* DE please *cough*) in Sanctuary seems like the best option by far -- this makes it so they don't dilute the tables that have more (hopefully) valuable stuff in them. But I really wouldn't mind them there -- it'd make little sense from a gameplay standpoint to have only desirable rewards in the tables.

All in all, I'm pretty pumped for the idea, but a few things could be tweaked. Just please, guys, no Peculiar Serration -- I don't have all the Endo in the world.

I don't care if these exist I'll likely run this new game mode about as much as I did the one that came out with Nidus, 10-15 times to get the the new frame and never again, because so often the rewards just aren't worth it. Peculiar mods mean absolutely nothing to me, they don't even register as a blip on my content radar. if people like them, cool? if they don't why bother with things like that? there is so much that gets started and then never touched... warframe is a mess of me waiting for things that will never come, while a handful of trully odd choices do manage to get into the players hands.

Lmao, this is not even out yet, and it already needs some changes. Well, as long as DE gives us the possibility to turn off the visual effects of this, it will be fine. I want to play Warframe, not Minecraft or Fortnite

il y a 1 minute, (XB1)DerangedMime00 a dit :

Guess that is a win for the Fun-sucker Brigade. Funny though how no one did the same thing with rabbit ears, pumpkin masks, moustaches, and heart arrows. :(

This are temporary, limitted stuff, and more important, auxiliary custom items!

It could be in fact nice to have, on any weapon, in the custom screen, a kind of "FX auxiliary" slot, where you chose between default, flower, or any special effect mod... People usually say "if you don't like it, don't use it", and this will be the case for almost every player. I know that I will not remove a serration to put the flower stuff on a weapon that in fact needs firepower

Hello DE, 

I have concerns, observations and suggestions. 

Concerns:

Although I have nothing against peculiar mods,  you have to accept that most people may choose not use them as it doesn't seem to add any utility to the game. 

Warframe has always been very immerse - most of the holiday themes can be ignored or taken in stride without breaking that immersion, but this may be a thing that can break that immersion which again most people would not want (there are already suggestion to have an option to set them to off). 

So if you are going to introduce more, please make sure the immersion isn't broken or be sure to keep that option to turn it off,

flowers growing through things? Unless you can back it up though some twisted lore I would not be using this mod.  Enemies start shivering when hit by cold? Sure- subtle and slightly funny, 

Enemies start deforming when killed by infected weapons? Cool and plausible.

Enemies screaming "I need healing" when at 50% health? This should be part of the base ability :) 

So please avoid the immersion breaking mods. 

Observations:

players don't wanna waste mod slots (or at least most would prefer not to) , 

They would rather have this option as a gear item or a cosmetic auxiliary. 

The peculiar mods (if they stay as mods) need to have at least some utility. Like the augur/ vigilante/ gladiator/ hunter mods (where peculiarity is the secondary bonus not the main Stat) . Not a straight up replacement of the main mods, but not a complete waste of mod space either.

Suggestion :

Make the peculiar mods transmutable cores or make them need transmute cores to become proper mods.

Eg:

Weapon type mod x2 + transmute core + peculiar mod + kuva= usable peculiar mod specific to weapon type.

The type of base mod bonuses will depend on type of core, and the weapon type mod chosen, please leave this beyond the powers of RNGesus I would like once to be certain of what I am getting. 

The base bonuses can be something tame like say reload speeds for primary, recoil for secondary, and status chance for melee. So it doesn't seem like a waste. 

Let me know what you think of what I have mentioned. 

We're aware of how Unusual effects exist in TF2, yes? They're cosmetic variants of otherwise more easily acquirable weapons and hats, with the prefix determining their cosmetic effect. They are acquired a number of ways, but are essentially a random, shinier, non-upgrade to an existing item. They are inherently more valuable than the base thing, and I think that value might be something DE's interested in pursuing.

Peculiars should be the equivalent for mods.

Let's say I run Onslaught for 4 rounds or whatever and luck out, getting a Peculiar mod. No details on what it is until end of mission. I complete the round and return to my orbiter, to find that I've received a Spooky Stormbringer. It's essentially a normal Stormbringer that caps out at 18 drain instead of 11, but still has the same maximum effect of +90% electric damage, and the same polarity. The Peculiar prefix Spooky means that it creates a Soul Punch effect of an enemy's soul flying out of their body when I kill them with a headshot 20% of the time. Maybe this chance increases as I rank up the mod. This can merely be added onto the mod description as "Peculiar Effect: Soul Destroyer." I cannot equip Spooky Stormbringer and regular Stormbringer at the same time.

What does this achieve over the current iteration of Peculiars? For one, I'm not losing a mod slot if I plan on using Stormbringer at all. Yes, it costs more drain on my mods, but that goes to underscore just how much forma effort I've put into the weapon to make it my own. I am sacrificing effort for a cosmetic bonus, not necessarily power.

But what if I don't like the Spooky effect, or have a personal vendetta against electric damage on rifles?

Enter part two: Peculiar distilling. Collect <number between 2 and 4> Peculiars with the same effect, regardless of which mod they're attached to, and sacrifice them to create a Peculiar Enhancer for that specific effect. Said Peculiar Enhancer allows me to apply the prefix onto any otherwise normal mod in the game. (Should there be restrictions? I haven't thought about the ramifications of a Spooky Argon Scope.) Now I've got reason to hang onto my Spooky Stormbringer in case I like the Spooky prefix and want it on, say, a shotgun instead. I just need to find a few more Spooky mods. Luckily, I can simply trade for them! If I happen to dislike Spooky Stormbringer, maybe I can trade it to somebody else. And if I really want to skip the collecting process, I can just trade for a naturally more valuable Spooky Peculiar Enhancer so that I can slap it on Hell's Chamber, because I think the name Spooky Hell's Chamber is extra funny.

For a certain subset of players sitting on a lot of plat, I think this provides a new avenue of trade. Their purely cosmetic nature may turn others away from looking to get them at all, however, it would provide incentive for the otherwise disinterested to acquire them to trade. Possible foreseeable issues? It might clutter trade chat, and these might take up more storage data than the current proposed iteration.

5 minutes ago, Samotte said:

This are temporary, limitted stuff, and more important, auxiliary custom items!

It could be in fact nice to have, on any weapon, in the custom screen, a kind of "FX auxiliary" slot, where you chose between default, flower, or any special effect mod... People usually say "if you don't like it, don't use it", and this will be the case for almost every player. I know that I will not remove a serration to put the flower stuff on a weapon that in fact needs firepower

Mostly towards people who keep saying these effects/mods are not lore friendly and or intrusive. It's just a game. Perfectly alright to lighten the mood up a bit and 'smell the roses'. Clem and John Prodman are notable examples of how sometimes having things a little less serious make it all the more enjoyable. Agreed about the mod slot thing though it should be a gear/auxillary item good idea on that. :D

il y a 31 minutes, (XB1)DerangedMime00 a dit :

Agreed about the mod slot thing though it should be a gear/auxillary item good idea on that

And at this point I realize, are we sure they will be mods? I don't remember seing anything about that, maybe we'll have a kind of weapon exilus who knows? Let's wait for the update

They can be a lot of fun. But this is how I'd do this so everyone is pleased:

-Keep them in tune. Growing flowers is probably where I'd draw the line. Exploding corpses, melting enemies? Sure, go ahead. Making enemies dance, tooting sound effects? Nah, doesn't fit. It should feel like something that could happen in the universe. Also, take care of not making them annoying or repetitive.

-Consider making them actually useful, even if not as much as normal mods. For instance, the one that grows flowers could add +20% crit damage to the weapon. Of course this isn't the kind of mod you use for meta at all, but at least that way you are not spending a slot exclusively for aesthetics. Or just add an auxiliary aesthetics mod slot.

-Keep them out of reward tables, specially the current ones. Maybe add them to a new table, make syndicates sell them, put them in baro's stuff, and of course selling for plats in the market. That will keep the attractive of exclusivity too. Nobody wants another ayatan anasa case.

-Toggleable in each user's settings so if people doesn't like them they won't be bothered.

Give thoose mods high endo value. If you want them you keep them if no you turn them into endo. Win win.

Also it would probably be better if they dropped from enemies in the onslaught instead of being reward. Or Symaris could sell them.

And last thing don't go too wacky. The flowers is already pushing it. Maybe make the effects cool instead of wacky. 

So far, I can only see myself using Peculiars if:

1) They get turned into arcanes (Peculia arcane slot on every weapon, separate from Exodia?)

2) They get a "disable/enable FX" slider toggle button in the options.

Sorry guys, my idea of fun in a horde shooter is NOT "cripple your build to spam flowers", nor is it having my eyes bleed because someone thinks it actually IS a good idea. 

15 hours ago, Czin said:

a toggle to disable it on my end would be nice

Oh that brings back memories of Planetside 2. That game's cosmetic microtransactions were in such poor taste and so obnoxious that eventually all I wished for was a token I could buy that would hide everyone else's cosmetics.

My verdict:

Don't put unnecessary mods on the drop table. I think that's self-explanatory. Like the Augment mods (ignoring the "band-aid" augments), they can be bought with standing. I think the same should be applied to Peculiar mods being bought for Simaris standing from Cephalon Simaris.

As for the concept of Peculiar mods, I'm fine with it. But it's a forced meme as others had said, that you guys intentionally developed for us. As long as this doesn't make a dent for the development of the more wanted features in the game, it is fine to me.

Archived