The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Space Mom is away... but her voice?

Kelpie77

First thing: this could contain potential spoiler about Apostasy Prologue and ofc The War Within, Second Dream, Natah, and consequently many missions tied to them

ok?

Ready?

Go!

So... Hi fellow tennos.
As you know if you played Apostasy Prologue (or you spoilered it and really don't care), now Space Mom is gone; while we all hope she's just going to a vacation with Ballas (and her endlless kubrow pet enlarged family), we all deeply know she'll not be back before Sacrifice, Plane of Venus-dolon (dunno what's the name) and several mainline in between. Thus, Ordis hinted on 5th anniversary mail that she'll not be back this year. Many of us feels like she'll never be back (at least, not as she was before).

Ordis managed to create an "holographic lotus" who also speak with a her voices. Cool choice Ordis, and good choice DE so you can change something without having to create entire new voiceline. Ok. But now, i guess i'm getting sick of this trick...
So...
if you aren't planning to bring her back soon, and there are no something hidden behind this (ie: Lotus is Ordis; L&B they are secretely hiding in some back room of the orbiter; you are really your doppleganger and everything is a dream; everyone is secretely Hydra or Ballas is Kaiser Soze...), why don't create a real alternative to Lotus in game?

For some voicelines, the Ordis created Holographic Lotus is ok; mainly for when you are on the Orbiter, Ordis is the main player here so it reallly make sense. It could be funny if you could make Holo-Lotus says Ordis' puns, or viceversa Ordis saying Lotus' lines with her voice like "there are some mission over, tenno" or "chaos is spreading..."

It does'nt really make sense that Ordis advice you during missions; for instance in the Mobile Defense why we need Holo-Lotus? Holo-Lotus is really Ordis, so we can just hack from the orbit, right? It does make more sense if we got someone else giving advices and/or pointing out something useful (even if utterly repetitive).
Some examples:

1. Teshin is the main idea here. He's a wise warrior, he has vast knowledge of orokin and the-years-that-where before tenno awakening; he's a loyal servant and teacher of the tenno's cause and also need a little atonement. There is already some voicelines (remember the Natah questline? Lotus was gone for a whille and Teshin gave some advice and some voiceline)
  2. Maroo could be more "in topic" for Mobile Defense and Spy missions. Again if i'm not wrong there are already some voicelines from her quest and from Ayatan Treasure Hunt that can be used again. She can also says some sarcastic things while you are cracking a vault and sure will make more sense than Ordis or Holo-Lotus during mobile defense
  3. Quill Konzo can be a guide during PoE travels. Something llike "i see dead grineer, coming your way" or "the unum seek you defend this vault"
  4. Clem can "talk" you while doing invasion grineer side, and it will be really easy to do: very little variation of the "Clem Clem Grakata" :D (or you can also use Cressa Tal, if you think we really need at this point someone repeating all over the same voiceline we hear since Vor's Prize quest...). Corpus side, a corpus sergeant can be a good choice too, just to not use Alad V
  5. The Operator. At the moment (s)he's saying something like "we have to win this fight" or "infestation, we have to be careful" at random moments. Dunno who's talking to, honestly, probably to him/herself, to their frames' or to Ordis? Besides, can be a good choice 'cause everyone got an Operator awake at this point in the mainline. But it could requires several voicelines for different combination, so probably not the best option...
  6. of course, combination of those ones, ie Teshin telling you "extraction is ready" while Maroo telling you "insert the datamass in to the terminal so i can hack the data".

Ok those are just some ideas; it's a pretty simple thing to do compared of putting more content so i guess could not steal many work hours from big mainline release, but could be still appreciated as a way to move on with the lore and don't get bored by holo-lotus voicelines (that really don't fit inside lore...)

PS some ideas i wrote here is based on somethign i read on region chat; so it's not just mine, but i miss the reference of who said this in the chat; so i guess you are not upset if i "stole" your ideas... :|

Edited by Kelpie77

1 minute ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

Recording thousands of already existing voice lines again for multiple characters isn't exactly worth the effort, at least in my opinion.

well, there are not really many voicelines; (Holo) Lotus is saying almost everything the same things (tedious, i have to admit, 'cause at the 1234452425th time i play a mission i really don't care about what she says anymore... she's just making noises...)

Plus, maybe it's unclear (english is not my main language...): i dont' suggest about recording the same voiceline for different characther. This sure will not be worth the effort
What i suggest is to recording some of the voice lines in a single different characther. Ie: leaving holo-lotus for orbiter voicelines and also for "extraction is available", but adding Teshin says "grineer inbound", "defend the target" or "infestation ahead" while Maroo can be used for the "keep defending the target, data extraction in progress". Some of those are already present if don't remember wrong the Natah questline or the one where you use Maroo's directions to steal something (it's a mainline, right?)

Chains of Harrows quest is almost entirely made of new questline and special tileset and sure is worth the effort :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Sacrifice is in production, likely to be released as soon as the Venus set has been released, hotfixed, patched, retested and settled down (so about a month, maybe five weeks after). Apostacy 'stage 2' or 'continuation' may have a return much, much sooner than that too, in order to prep more hype/lore/confusion/panic/murder/flamingos/frustration/retcons/player abandonment issues/etc.

Right now, any voice acting time they have for any lines they would replace is likely being taken up by the recording of voices for Venus and The Sacrifice.

So here's the question; would you rather they spend a month updating all of the Lotus' lines with somebody else's voice, and delay all of the voice work on these two, due to the Sound team having to check and implement all of these changes instead of working on the other two projects... Or... would you rather get the next actual content and Quest be released and bring back Space Mom so we don't need that in the first place?

4 hours ago, Thaylien said:

The Sacrifice is in production, likely to be released as soon as the Venus set has been released, hotfixed, patched, retested and settled down (so about a month, maybe five weeks after). Apostacy 'stage 2' or 'continuation' may have a return much, much sooner than that too, in order to prep more hype/lore/confusion/panic/murder/flamingos/frustration/retcons/player abandonment issues/etc.

Right now, any voice acting time they have for any lines they would replace is likely being taken up by the recording of voices for Venus and The Sacrifice.

So here's the question; would you rather they spend a month updating all of the Lotus' lines with somebody else's voice, and delay all of the voice work on these two, due to the Sound team having to check and implement all of these changes instead of working on the other two projects... Or... would you rather get the next actual content and Quest be released and bring back Space Mom so we don't need that in the first place?

I thought The Sacrifice was being prioritized over Venus. It just has too many spoilers to be shown on devstreams, so we're not getting any useful info yet. Venus on the other hand is probably a much bigger project because of all the content we'd have to receive to keep us busy for months instead of a quest we can finish in less than a day (excluding possible Foundry build times). Venus is most likely not coming until fall, whereas The Sacrifice can probably release in summer, possibly earlier.

49 minutes ago, Raspberry said:

I thought The Sacrifice was being prioritized over Venus.

I will, as the Prophet of Zephyr, assure you that whichever order these are released, we're getting at least one before Summer. DE want the content out, they know how much they've left us hanging on these, and they won't want to push it back... especially now that the Amazing Eternals dev-team has re-integrated with the main staff after that game fell apart.

I'm kinda on the fence here.  Like the OP, I'm seriously tired of holo-Lotus, and it's weird/jarring to think that that's Ordis just simulating the Lotus.  I mean, he has difficulty saying lines as himself without his alter ego popping through; how does he perfectly imitate the Lotus?  On the other hand, re-recording all of those lines would be an impractical thing to ask of DE.

So, possible compromise:  a setting to toggle off the Lotus.  We can already shut ourselves off and Ordis, so why not the holo-Lotus too?