Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[PC] Beasts of the Sanctuary: Sanctuary Onslaught Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

Why not implement the defense/interception type of extraction for the Onslaught? This way we as solo or squad play can chose to stay or continue.

Another thing is that players might be trolled and kept prisoner if they want to extract but others didn’t want to. So again this has given trolling yet another chance to manifest. 

Edited by kyori

First impressions:

There's some potential for a good gamemode here, but because everyone wants something different, it's likely to stay as uncompelling as it is now.

I only played it solo because warframe is not a team game, and I had the problem that many have highlighted in this thread. I ran out of stuff to kill. I was still dropping everything in one hit, but TTK doesn't take into account spawn rates and distances. I thought the whole point of the efficiency was to make sure the player was engaging the enemies, not to limit the player's ability to continue killing. Enemy scaling should take care of the 'endless' problem.

I don't really care about the rewards, so I'm not going to give feedback on them.

Edited by Oates_

so a couple things

1. the portal takes a while to spawn seemingly regardless of host

2. the focus orb returns are inconsistent

3. the enemy spawns are inconsistent

didn't actually already create a thread for this already but it seems that onslaught enemies sometimes spawn in hordes but sometimes do not spawn at all. 

4. simaris is lagging

simaris usually takes about 10-40s to respond to things if he even does at all (#letsimarissmacktalk)

5. enemy efficiency values

I found that certain factions seem to have different "efficiency values" or amount of efficiency they are worth with infested being approx. 3-5 per 1% grineer being 8 per 1% and corpus being about 6 per 1%

also I really like the gamemode overall but I don't like how every time I am about to get the rot c reward the portal does not spawn until the efficiency level reaches zero at which point you are extracted without the c reward which really annoys me

EDIT: I was getting about 350k points at least per round with an average grade of s but every time the portal screwed me adding to my frustrations

Edited by tekker2234

Moved from seperate thread. If it's not been deleted please do so Mods.

I'm not going to report bugs, just my thoughts on the experience as a Solo player. I understand you will be ironing out a lot of this in hot-fixes over the next few days so I thought you would prefer some feedback on what people thought in general.

PROS

I really like facing enemies on tile-sets they don't usually spawn on, it did feel interesting to me to face Corpus on grineer factory tiles and I hope to see more of this. With the more open but cluttered levels of Grineer you see the Corpus AI acting in bizarre (but not bad) ways that shakes things up nicely.

More Simmaris content, Simmaris looses relevance fairly quickly so giving them more content isn't a bad idea in the slightest.

Gave me a reason to take P.Saryn out of the box, don't get much call for that. The fact that this is a speed run extermination (but with a survival time limit instead of a kill count for some reason) calls for a different set of frames compared to the other endless missions which priorities survivability and mobility.

CONS

After a few basic runs and 2 pro-runs I can't say I feel my time was efficiently spent, yes that sounds very joyless but this is a looter shooter grinder so efficiency is important. The reward every 2 stages does not feel important, I've played more for the novelty of something new and I'm only likely to keep playing for Khora. With the lack of material and credit drops and the omnipresence of trash loot like endo I would never turn to this game mode for the sake of personal progress.

The reset between stages really hurts some 'frames and while it makes sense from a fluff standpoint (Simmaris resetting the mission with some new parameters) it does limit what you can play. Plus it spawned me in a few wierd places, such as next to a leech and a disrupter, so when I actualy got control I had no energy at all... kind of ruined my melee Saryn plan.

Efficiency is inconsistent. With the limited number of efficiency nodes per stage I felt like the tick down and kill increase of the timer were unpredictable and were difficult to have any meaningful change on. So far I have made it to round 10 (yes laugh it up you who I will pre-emptively call sods) before as a solo player I could no longer meaningfully extend my timer through kills and the limited efficiency nodes spelt my doom.

The inability to extract at your whim. It's a key feature of other game modes that at any point after achieving a baseline success you can escape the mission when it gets tough, but here you need to run out the clock. I find this weird as here more than anywhere else you should have the most freedom to leave. it's a simulation you can pull yourself from at any time so why must we wait till Simmaris declares us too slow to take our meagre rewards and leave?

The missing fluff that should have accompanied it. I enjoy the speculation and the story of Warframe, does it make sense? No, but it's still fun to try and patch the old to the new and make a consistent narrative (especially when Alad GODS DAMNED V is not involved, just die already you contradictory relic!) Sorry. But this new mode and a new frame have been released without any narrative explanation as to why Simmaris is now running these tests or why Khora was traded to Simmaris by the Quills. Yes I know the Quills have read the script and have meta-knowledge of events but there is nothing in the game to acknowledge or build on that which is just a missed opportunity.

And finally, I have no use for Simmaris standing. The one consistent reward from Onslaught is Simmaris standing, why do I need this? I don't play alchemy roulette with mods, I don't need traps and scanners and I don't need base line equipment from him when there are better alternatives.

Conclusion

Plenty to build upon, I don't think the concept is flawed but I just don't see the purpose in the game mode beyond Khora and the "peculiar" mods which I can take or leave. I feel there was a missed opportunity here to expand on the story in fleshing out some small elements of it and I don't really feel like spending the time trial and error-ing my way into improving my run time.

My only complaints with this mode seem to be fairly similar to other players:

1) cannot extract early, becomes a problem if you have to leave because of some problem or lack of time. I suggest a extract option similar to defense missions after every two waves/rotation.

2) Energy orbs do need a higher drop-rate, as Hunter's Adrenaline did not seem to work for me. I can understand this as a balance mechanic to keep people from only taking rage equipped frames, but without any energy most frames cannot stay competitive leaving the only option to take powerful weapons and tanky frames limiting our options.

Otherwise I do enjoy the gamemode, I want to see it become a cornerstone of this game, It just needs a few tweaks.

My first run, game crashed as soon as the 2nd conduit was materialising.

I can honestly say this is the first time in ~3 years that Warframe has crashed on me, not counting forced shutdown due to freezes because of stuff that was so long ago that I don't remember.

This really needs to change.

Sanctuary onslaught promises quick, challenging content I can get trapped in until my squad decides to leave. Just like most of the dungeons in this game. Break out of trapping me in a run until my squad decides to leave, DE. That is a feature of this game that needs to be abandoned. 

Played it a couple of times so far, want to try it more but I'm a bit afraid still due the crashes and stuff. Anyways, so far:

1. The Efficiency counter should really be replenished when the rounds ends depending on bonus and time as it's gone on. Better grades should mean more efficiency being returned while this will decrease gradually until it reaches a threshhold (so you can't run out, especially while the portals open and you go to the next zone but it makes things a bit more difficult as time goes on). Right now it doesn't feel doing better pays back at all.
  2. When a portal opens Efficiency should be frozen until the next zone begins. Otherwise you're just running out of time without a way to get it back.
  3. Enemies. Here's the thing: Overwatch launched a mode that works a bit similarly to this: It launches endless enemies at you. The big difference though is that some units have actual different behavior and health values. So far two enemies on Warframe do accomplish this: The Grineer Manics and the Juggernaut, but one doesn't really work that well and the other is an absolute disaster. There was the idea some time ago about special units that would need weak points to be destroyed, and I feel this game mode would benefit from a better executed kind of idea every 4-5 waves.
  4. Vandal and Khora parts I guess are fine rewards, but the Relics and Endo need to scale better. Resources should be a thing here definitely (or at least some of them).
  5. I feel bosses should be a thing after a full rotation with a special reward on beating them, but these phases should have efficiency paused, or otherwise it'd be a complete disaster.
  6. I've read someone here say that different factions have different efficiencies, but what it should really be is depending on unit efficiency should be different. A Bombard or Bursa cannot be the same as a Lancer. And if that already happens I've definitely not been able to tell the difference.
  7. I've had issues, as Nekros, transporting my shadows onto the next zone. I know energy resets to 75 and the buffs apparently are reset but... I'm not sure what's the intended behavior on abilties and such. It definitely doesn't help though to not gain some health back (again, bonuses don't seem to matter), it feels like an excessive penalty on some frames to take away energy and NOT give you something back. I don't need a full heal, just something to get going better that slowly is less until it reaches a cap (again, like the first suggestion).

As it is right now though, it seems like it's really hard to go for long because the game is being too harsh on you. I understand this is Arcade-y, but even then there needs to be some return. A lot of people have issues going past Wave 11 due the way Efficiency and enemies work.

And last but not least, I already tweeted George about this but for God's sake, give this mode its own music track! Something that makes players engaged and pumps them properly, instead of taking the track from the first tileset only to be bugged after round 3 or 4 and becoming silent!

22 minutes ago, Chnmmr said:

-No ways of extracting early.  Should be possible every 2 waves unless staying behind after a portal appears is the intended method?

I understand people wanting to extract at some point, but that's the point you can't really fail the mode. You fail, it's done, final score. If I had to be asked every 2 waves if I want to stay or get out, it would break the flow too often and get old really fast the way the game mode works.

I'd dare say that if after X waves you could get back at some sort intermediate space with Simaris giving you the choice of entering a blue portal to advance further or a red one to get out (which would be individual, this Cetus gate) that would be something else.

Edited by NightmareT12

Right... I'm already bored of this mode and an update I was looking forward to has ended up being a disappointment.

PROS:

- Varying enemies and tile sets make what is basically survival, interesting.

- Erm... that's it.

CONS:

- Drop tables are far too dilute with very low drop chance.  This is going to be a long and painful grind.

- Reset per portal means that quite a few frames are not good choices for this mode.

- Not enough enemies on some maps.  This compounded with some maps being too spread out means that you can one shot everything and still lose because of how hard it can be to raise the efficiency meter.

- Solo is miserable.  Not enough enemies spawn post wave 6.

-No ways of extracting early.  Should be possible every 2 waves unless staying behind after a portal appears is the intended method?

All in all, this is the first update where I was incredibly disappointed.  I was expecting a nice story quest to go with the new warframe, something akin to Inaros, Titania, etc.  But alas it is not to be.  Lazy.

The Onslaught is in Simaris's datascape in-universe so we can't take physical things out. Outside universe, its due to DE saying in previous devstreams that they wanted to make a mode that didn't contribute to giving us resources and thus making it take longer to rebuild stockpiles - as they intend for Onslaught to be the way for players to focus farm and such. I am not seeing it so far as a viable game mode but perhaps this can change in time with listening to player feedback.

So we finally have our first "new" Frame centric content in half a year. And it highlights every negative aspect of Warframe, putting them all on display in a tightly designed package full of abject tedium:

- Efficiency is dependent on NOT relying on your frame. So our first piece of Frame oriented content in half a year...doesnt want using our frame. Gear check much?

-Input Robbing spam: Flame walls and aim-bot grappling hooks galore. Often from behind. In the tight little hallway that is the "level" for this content. 

-Recycled Assets. Again: Same enemies. Same level tiles. Same garbage scaling. Same crap input robbing. Now all nice and neat in one narrow, unfun, tedious little corridor. 

-Khora and Done: Seriously, why would anyone continue to tolerate this tedium once they have Khora? This is Bounties 2.0. People will do it until they have Khora, and then never, ever look at it again. And who can blame them? Its neither fun nor rewarding nor fresh or new. 

There's nothing new to see or do here. There's nothing exciting or fresh about this content. Or its rewards. There is precisely 1 reason to ever do this mode, and if Khora werent locked behind it, no one would do it at all. Fortunately, I have so many grossly OP frames already, and so man actual, FUN games to play, that I need not worry over Khora, and can give this recycled mess of "new" stuff a complete pass.

Please, for the love of everything that is holy, stop making endless missions where an individual cant leave the mission. This is exactly why I dont play them. 4 random people and not all of them want to do a 1+ hour mission! Just stop it. Make them like defense please! 

Sanctuary onslaught is a great basis, but id like to see it have a mode where each zone/wave has a modifier, so each level is a bit more interesting.

Examples: vampire mode, low gravity, eximus, allies, mist, hazards, etcetera.

Edit: nevermind this part:

Also, why are there no normal resource drops, its a bit wierd?

Edited by SuperRandomneZ

The mode is tedious to play. Narrow corridors full of the same old enemies, spamming AoE and aim-botting input robbing abilities. I think I had my input robbed from me 4 times the first 30 seconds, three of those from behind, with no possibility of dodging or any other counter play at all...since, you know, enemies in front, too.

The enemies are recycled. The tiles are recycled. And we are punished for using our frame abilities to boot. 

I would wager a good deal of cash that, were it not for forcing this mode for Khora, very few people would ever do it twice. I will wager even more that, by the time most players have the new frame, they will never want to look at this mode again. 

My one complaint is the wait time between the end of the wave and the spawn of the portal. that wait is the biggest death of the efficiency by far. nothing like keeping up to 100% just to lose half of it at the end of the wave waiting to move on...

After getting Khora I will continue playing this mode, because I think it's fun, and awesome for focus daily cap.

Efficiency more or less depends on your frame, if you are using an AOE frame, then yes, it relies on it.
For the time I have played the mode, there were no time a Exiums AOE hit me, and there were alot of them.
As for the same enemies, well, what did you expected, you are playing in Simaris' database..

I find the "normal" one boring, but the Elite Onslaught is pretty cool imo ! The scaling is good enough, even though the rewards are not that great. 

I think it's a good idea to offer both an "end-game" mission and an easier way to farm focus. With it, you know you earn your focus x16 multiplier.

So there are many good ideas, even though it's not perfect.

Th lack of resource drop is to prevent it from being a universal farming spot. It's already good for relics, focus, and exp for weapons. Adding resources could break it because the rotating tiles can allow you to farm cells, sensors, and nuerodes at once.

This is to keep people from only playing the sanctuary

Heyo,

First of all, the new game mode seems quite fun for the moment even though some of us have a problem regarding crashing but nothing that can not be fixed.

Secondly, as I noticed in my runs when the portal starts opening it may take some time and the enemies will stop spawning. The problem is that from 100% we can get as low as 30% even if we use the void stab at the end to try to prolong it.

My suggestion would be to keep the enemies spawning even if the time counter goes to 00:00 to prevent such things.