The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

complete chat suspension unecessary

aFuzzyTurtle

2 minutes ago, rune_me said:

No irony there. A rule is a rule no matter who you are. You don't get to cheat on your taxes just because you work with the IRS. If a word is reason to ban you, then using that word will get anyone who uses it banned. That makes perfect sense.

I don't know what you mean with "finally does throw some shade at them"? Are you suggesting that this has never happened to them before? I can promise you that every transgendered person out there has had to put up with more shade thrown at them before they turned 30 than the rest of us will have to in our entire lifetime. I was shocked to hear what some random drunk people yelled after an immigrant friend of mine. I asked how often that happened, that people called him that. He said pretty much every day. Everyone can handle a "few rude jokes or comments". Most of us can't handle having to put up with them all the time.

1: Not arguing that rules can be freely broken. I don't know why you're having such a hard time understanding that.

I'm saying that these rules are ridiculous.

2: Nice strawman you made, there. I never even remotely implied that transgendered people don't ever experience prejudice. I'm saying--quite clearly--that turning WF into their personal safespace is not a good solution for anybody.

It's the internet. Some people are mean. Get over it. Everyone gets called some fifty-odd mean things every day. Most people don't allow it to bother them because it's honestly not something worth being upset about.

12 minutes ago, Qamyha said:

Directly responding to your question is ignoring you?

And prove to me that my point is irrelevant.

Not sure if what I typed posted but:

So just because something is funny means it's okay to say it?

What point is there to prove against? You base the tolerance of others to be equalivant of the actions that they are commiting in a game. Probably a bad example but: If someone is afraid of swimming in water and they can cook with it on the stove then..just because they're afraid of water doesn't mean they can't do things WITH it.

Edited by Lahared

Just now, Lahared said:

Not sure if what I typed posted but:

So just because something is funny means it's okay to say it?

What point is there to prove?

If the person causes no significant harm (like actually, physically causing harm to someone), then yes.

The only time I think someone should be prevented from speaking would be if they were actively trying to persuade people to do real harm to others, which is very different from just hurting someone's feelings.

I do not believe that it is a good idea to draw all of these lines deciding what type of comment is or is not acceptable and ban-worthy if it's not necessary (please note the "not necessary" part. Otherwise, we'll start to become walking caricatures of South Park's PC Principal.

Just now, Qamyha said:

1: Not arguing that rules can be freely broken. I don't know why you're having such a hard time understanding that.

I'm saying that these rules are ridiculous.

Well they are stricter than I would make them. But as adults, we should all understand that when we are in somebody else's house, it's their rules and not ours. We either stay and abide by those rules, or we leave. The rules may seem ridiculous to you, but they obviously aren't to the ones who made them and are enforcing them.

3 minutes ago, Qamyha said:

It's the internet. Some people are mean. Get over it. Everyone gets called some fifty-odd mean things every day. Most people don't allow it to bother them because it's honestly not something worth being upset about.

It's not the internet, though, it's just a very small part of it run by a private company. If you want to say these words, there are still plenty of places on the internet where you can. Just not in Warframes chat. I mean, you can even say it here, on the forum. 

5 minutes ago, Qamyha said:

If the person causes no significant harm (like actually, physically causing harm to someone), then yes.

The only time I think someone should be prevented from speaking would be if they were actively trying to persuade people to do real harm to others, which is very different from just hurting someone's feelings.

I do not believe that it is a good idea to draw all of these lines deciding what type of comment is or is not acceptable and ban-worthy if it's not necessary (please note the "not necessary" part. Otherwise, we'll start to become walking caricatures of South Park's PC Principal.

I hope you understand the concept of how someone interprets pain or anguish differing. You are against causing harm to people, but you take part in it indirectly because you're just cracking a joke.

Haha, real funny.

Your definition of ban-worthy is subjective. Indulging in sublimation doesn't impress me one bit.

Edited by Lahared

9 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Second, and more important, this is not criminal law. It's a chat server, run by a private company. They set their own rules, as is perfectly within their right. If they don't care about your intentions, they certainly don't have to.

Did I ever imply otherwise? I was using criminal law as an example to show the trivial nature of my offence relative to the punishment I got. Admittedly it's a clumsy metaphor, but the point stands: the punishment for violating the code of conduct in the game's chat is too severe given the automated nature of the process and the ease with which innocent people can be caught in the net. 

Well they are stricter than I would make them. But as adults, we should all understand that when we are in somebody else's house, it's their rules and not ours. We either stay and abide by those rules, or we leave. The rules may seem ridiculous to you, but they obviously aren't to the ones who made them and are enforcing them.

I'm not contending that. Yes, it's DE's call to decide what the rules are.

But I can still make the argument that the rules aren't very good.

It's not the internet, though, it's just a very small part of it run by a private company. If you want to say these words, there are still plenty of places on the internet where you can. Just not in Warframes chat. I mean, you can even say it here, on the forum. 

It's not the internet...but it's part of the internet. However small it may be, this forum and the game relating to it are a part of the internet.

And don't you find that extremely odd--the fact that it can be said here but not in the actual game?

5 minutes ago, Lahared said:

I hope you understand the concept of how someone interprets pain or anguish differing. You are against causing harm against people, but you take part in it indirectly because you're just cracking a joke.

Haha, real funny.

Your definition of ban-worthy is subjective. Indulging in sublimation doesn't impress me one bit.

Doesn't matter how one might interpet pain or suffering. What matters is whether or not any significant harm has come to a person within reasonable boundaries.

Also, I never make racist or homophobic jokes. But I will defend to my death a person's right to make them. But thanks for making an uncouth assumption about me.

Furthermore, the definition of what is ban-worth is ALWAYS subjective. I'm amazed you didn't know that already.

And I am absolutely uninterested in your opinion of me. Thanks anyway, though.

Edited by Qamyha

1 minute ago, Qamyha said:

It's not the internet...but it's part of the internet. However small it may be, this forum and the game relating to it are a part of the internet.

But we can agree that there are very different rules depending on where on the internet you are. What you can say and post on 4chan won't fly on Apple's official forums. So you can't just say "this is the internet" as if it is one big, collective thing. How many insults you have to put up with on the internet, really depends heavily on what parts of the internet you frequents. Someone who avoids social media and just hangs out in Microsoft's support forum, probably never gets insulted, even if he was online all day, every day.

4 minutes ago, Qamyha said:

And don't you find that extremely odd--the fact that it can be said here but not in the actual game?

A bit. But it makes sense, since these forums are moderated by humans, whereas the chat-bans are mostly the job of a bot. A bot, by definition, will be more general and use broader strokes than a human. Since we were talking about intent above, that's a good example. A human can discern intend behind a word. A bot can not. A human could take that sentence you wrote about your syphon trap and see that there's nothing offensive about it. A bot can't, because it just sees that one word on its list.

Just now, Qamyha said:

Doesn't matter how one might interpet pain or suffering. What matters is whether or not any significant harm has come to a person within reasonable boundaries.

Also, I never make racist or homophobic jokes. But I will defend to my death a person's right to make them. But thanks for making an uncouth assumption about me.

Furthermore, the definition of what is ban-worth is ALWAYS subjective. I'm amazed you didn't know that already.

And I am absolutely uninterested in your opinion of me. Thanks anyway, though.

It changes from significant harm to "what I deem as significant harm."

I love how flawed this entire argument is.

The use of racist slurs is not something we tolerate in the community. Using such slurs in chat will earn you a 7 day long suspension at a minimum.

Use the time off to reflect upon your actions and work on improving your behavior.