Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"frost Crush"

DBugII

For a while, I've found Avalanche rather underwhelming. It's basically a weaker version of Mag's Crush ability.

What they have in common:

- They both do not ignore armor/resistances

- They both do 1000 damage to all enemies in range

- They both target enemies around the frame in a fairly large radius

What Crush does better:

- Knocks down enemies instead of merely staggering them

- Sounds better, Looks better

- Mag has a truckload of energy to spam it will

- Has a stupidly long range

What Avalanche does better:

- Frost Damage: 2x Damage to shields, Wrecks Moas

-----

Ice Wave is my "ultimate" when playing Frost, it does a little more than half the damage of Avalanche and costs half the energy, while still having a modest enough AoE. I can usually do more damage spamming Ice Wave than I would be spamming Avalanche(especially when I need to keep Snow Globe up), I can also spam Ice Wave a lot faster and keep focus on high-value targets as a result.

The biggest issue with Avalanche is, unlike Crush, it isn't built to be an effective technique aside from holding everything in place for 3 seconds and Crush does this much better. Maybe thrashing the shields of everything around you makes up for it, but you may as well use Ice Wave because most shields can't even endure 1 hit from that. Unlike Mag, Frost doesn't have the energy capacity to just keep spamming it without a ton of energy orbs or a Trinity frame - Which makes the already limited use of Avalanche even more limited.

In a nutshell: "Frost Crush", as I will call it from now on, suffers from the same problems Mag's Crush did before the buff it got. If I had the choice of Frost Crush or Crush, it would be Crush every time - Or Ice Wave.

No, I'm not saying "Frost Crush" needs to knock down everything around the frame. Personally, I think it needs to be replaced, or at least live up the name Avalanche. I don't know, have it summon a big spike of ice(like the snowy peak of a mountain) to impale enemies with - At least it'll look cooler, no pun intended.

Edited by DBugII

What do you mean by truckload of energy. Mag's energy pool is the same as Frost's. (If they didn't change it recently without me noticing)

Alternate Helmet provides additional energy, also I was able to have a Mag with 400 energy where Frost capped at 300. I think that ended up changing when they rebalanced her, I haven't played her much since then.

Also, unlike Frost, Mag's other abilities are strictly supportive or low-cost and very limited use. This reserves more energy for her ultimate.

Edited by DBugII

I think that exact number is 375 with Gauss Helmet and maxed Flow. That doesn't make spamming much easier.
Also Crush should have max range of 12 meters, and Avalanche has max 10 meters. That's not big difference too.

Edited by Enguzrad

The bigger problem is that powers need to be more focused on effects and less focused on damage.  This will expand their utility into late game, where only highly modified weapons will take down high level enemies.

Exactly, the problem with Avalanche is that it fails to do either. It lacks both utility and damage.