Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Khora's Planned Changes

[DE]Rebecca

PC Tenno, what a week it's been!

This post aims to go over 1 main point of Beasts of the Sanctuary: Khora!
At a glance, I think the gap between Gara and Khora's release is one of the longest between releasing new Warframes. That alone doesn't feel too good. There are a lot of reasons for this, and most of them are layered in re-designs of the Warframe (IPS/Quest goals, etc). The way Khora was released was certainly not the most ideal given the wait for a new Warframe, but we are going to make her better thanks to your experiences.

As must be said for all time, everything below is subject to change! This is especially important - while we want to give you a sense of what we're planning, it's equally important that you know we are indeed planning. 

Here's what we're planning on doing with Khora!

• Ability casting times have been shortened across the board - Natural Talent is always great, but the base animations needed shortening.
  • Whipclaw
    • Whipclaw will apply to and benefit from the combo counter.
    • All enemies caught in the Strangledome will take half of Whipclaw’s attack damage when one enemy in the Strangledome is hit with Whipclaw.
    • Hitting an Ensnared enemy with Whipclaw will cause the living metal to propagate.
  • Ensnare
    • Ensnare affects multiple enemies. When an enemy is ensnared, the living metal will propagate and pull in every enemy within range. The living metal ensnaring enemies will then propagate a second time to pull in another wave of enemies within range.
    • Procs no longer wake up ensnared enemies.
  • Venari
  • Venari is now a passive ability - Venari is simply there, no casting required. When she dies, she will be revived when you Revive (*it's very likely you'll have the opportunity to revive Venari like other companions, but in the event you miss that window it'll be gone until you revive)
    • Venari fights independently until she receives a command. Khora’s third ability overrides Venari’s target and changes her battle posture at an energy cost.
    • Kavat mods like Animal Instinct have been fixed so they will work properly on Venari.
    • Venari deals slash damage to enemies instead of impact damage.
  • Strangledome
    • Once an enemy dies in the Strangledome, they will drop to the floor, making room for new victims.
    • We have other plans that are too in-progress to share yet - we'll update here with more information as we get it!

We expect to release this to PC this week for the most part - so stay tuned to notes as each hotfix rolls out. We think Wednesday at the earliest pending testing and implementation!

P.S We are also making some FX changes to simply have more oomph and visceral feels! 

Thanks for making a dev workshop, will read when I have a chance!

Here is my opinion and suggestions:

• Whipclaw: Sounds pretty good so far, hopefully it’s decent enough in-action. Hopefully we see other frames get the same treatment as well. *cough Wukong’s Iron Jab cough*
  • Ensnare: Liking these changes for sure.
  • Venari: Definitely a positive boost in the right direction with this ability.
    • Idea 1: Make Venari one of Khora’s passives and replace Venari into something different
    • Idea 2: Keep the ability as a passive
      • If Venari is staying an ability passive, we should be able to heal Venari by hitting 3, similar to how Nekros’ Shadows of the Dead works
  • Strangedome: Still needs to completely replaced by something else, it’s way way too similar to Harrow’s Condem and Vauban’s Vortex.

Hopefully this helps the problems and challenges you face with Khora, she is in a dire need of major changes.

43 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Whipclaw

• Whipclaw will apply to and benefit from the combo counter.
  • All enemies caught in the Strangledome will take half of Whipclaw’s attack damage when one enemy in the Strangledome is hit with Whipclaw.
  • Hitting an Ensnared enemy with Whipclaw will cause the living metal to propagate.

''Whipclaw is miles better than Iron Jab'' DeMonkey says. ''So how do we fix this'' DE thinks...

We Buff Whipclaw of course!

:sad:

Looking forward to the changes.

4 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:
  • Venari
  • Venari is now a passive ability - Venari is simply there, no casting required. When she dies, she will be revived when you Revive.
    • Venari fights independently until she receives a command. Khora’s third ability overrides Venari’s target and changes her battle posture at an energy cost.
    • Kavat mods like Animal Instinct have been fixed so they will work properly on Venari.
    • Venari deals slash damage to enemies instead of impact damage.

Are we going to be able to revive her?

If Venari is passive, highly recommend giving her a bleedout state like normal pets.

Edit: Food for thought, while Venari is dead, you go from having four abilities to three. (Under this proposal)

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

Whipclaw is already better than Iron Jab DeMonkey says, so how do we fix this...

We Buff Whipclaw of course!

:sad:

Looking forward to the changes.

I felt this exactly when I saw these changes, how can Wukong go unchanged when this ability will scale superbly now. RIP Monkey King, your form in Smite fares far better.

Whipclaw was already a damn good ability (debatably her only useful one) and it was just made better. The Venari passive, changes to Ensnare & QOL to Strangle-do-me are very welcome. Shaping up nicely. Thanks for the heads up, Reb.

so far this sounds fantastic, the strangledome plans have me intrigued because its a pretty unimpressive power, my two cents are it acts SIMILAR to frosts globe, but instead of being outright blocking all gunfire it only does it when it has a live enemy on the hook, that enemy taking the damage instead, that way it has its own unique mechanic thats really useful for a combo CC and protection without being rediculously overpowered

So once Venari dies there's no other way to revive her except we die with her and Revive? Hope she goes into bleedout first.

Also, pls bring exalted whip back ;-; make it so charge attack or ground slam while using exalted whip will spawn the strangledome.

Thank you for the official response! No one in this industry is as communicative as you guys :)

Back on topic, these changes do sound good but I do have a few thoughts. Whipclaw benefiting from the combo counter would help it scale much better. Do you think it could get some kind of Atlas Landslide-esque combo where you can spam the button for quicker attacks?

Will Ensnare still expire on enemy death? That's probably the most major problem with it. It'd be nice if it was given the Mag Magnetize treatment where it can still exist when the target dies.

I don't fully understand the Venari revive comment. Does that mean you have to die in order to have her out again? Being able to override her behaviour sounds like the right direction though.

1 minute ago, Diarmut said:

I felt this exactly when I saw these changes, how can Wukong go unchanged when this ability will scale superbly now. RIP Monkey King, your form in Smite fares far better.

wukong will get reworked when wukong prime comes up to bat, like zephyr did and many many others, he needs a rather signifigant looking at

Archived