Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Khora's Planned Changes

[DE]Rebecca

Just now, PsiWarp said:

Venari is just as fragile as other Kubrows and Kavats.

Yeah, what makes its survivability quite better is due to Khora having good health and armor stats, making Link Health and Link Armor works great on Venari. And mods like Pack Leader and Hunter Recovery makes Khora and Attack Venari able to heal each other greatly.

I have a question, is it just me or is WhipClaw's Hit box lower then the targeting reticle? Because everytime I put my crosshairs on a target and use Whipclaw it doesnt seem to be hitting them straight on, this is just my experience while leveling her and testing her out. I nvr actually brought her into Simulacrum to test it, but if it actually is the case, can it be changed so that it hits where my crosshairs are aiming? Idk am I just being stupid and that only happens for me?

This is good, I just don't think it's enough to give Khora a real place. My main feeling is the all the abilities are one slot too high for what they give. Imagine for a moment:

1. Ensnare (Fells a lot like Inaros's #1 Desiccation, hence feels like a #1 ability)
  2. Venari (with a 50 energy re-summon on long press? Pet control doesn't justify #3)
  3. Strangledome (Like Frost's #3 snowball or Vauban's #3 Bastille, with more damage but less utility)
  4. Whipclaw ("Exalted Whip", With all the extra effects and synergy you gave to the old #1 whipclaw) complete with the IPS switches on longpress for when that means something)

You already have the assets and really we wouldn't mid it you just picked and chose animations from the existing whip stances.

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

PC Tenno, what a week it's been!

Here's what we're planning on doing with Khora!

• Ability casting times have been shortened across the board - Natural Talent is always great, but the base animations needed shortening.
  • Whipclaw
    • Whipclaw will apply to and benefit from the combo counter.
    • All enemies caught in the Strangledome will take half of Whipclaw’s attack damage when one enemy in the Strangledome is hit with Whipclaw.
    • Hitting an Ensnared enemy with Whipclaw will cause the living metal to propagate.
  • Ensnare
    • Ensnare effects multiple enemies. When an enemy is ensnared, the living metal will propagate and pull in every enemy within range. The living metal ensnaring enemies will then propagate a second time to pull in another wave of enemies within range.
    • Procs no longer wake up ensnared enemies.
  • Venari
  • Venari is now a passive ability - Venari is simply there, no casting required. When she dies, she will be revived when you Revive (*it's very likely you'll have the opportunity to revive Venari like other companions, but in the event you miss that window it'll be gone until you revive)
    • Venari fights independently until she receives a command. Khora’s third ability overrides Venari’s target and changes her battle posture at an energy cost.
    • Kavat mods like Animal Instinct have been fixed so they will work properly on Venari.
    • Venari deals slash damage to enemies instead of impact damage.
  • Strangledome
    • Once an enemy dies in the Strangledome, they will drop to the floor, making room for new victims.
    • We have other plans that are too in-progress to share yet - we'll update here with more information as we get it!

I am 9 forma in (4 on Khora and 5 on Venari)

I have been playing Khora almost exclusively bar that of equinox for onslaught focus runs.

1. Whipclaw

It needs to not only benefit from melee but benefit from it in a greater extent. Say perhaps Venari granting combo counter to further increase the damage of the whip.

A guaranteed slash proc no matter the posture and a second physical proc on top depending on posture.

Please increase its range and let the aoe attack grant melee combo counter too. 

2. Ensnare

Targets should take increased damage from pets too - thus more synergy with 1/3.

If a target is ensnared/unaware of your presence, killing them with Venari or an ability shouldn't break the stealth multiplier (presuming it is a one hit kill). This is across all frames.

3. Venari

Venari feels very glassy for a kavat of living metal...

Let power strength play a little more of a role - increasing base HP/damage output at base.

Then depending on posture; doing different things.

Attack: number of hits + increased area of strike range (power range)

Defence: base damage reduction for Khora, Venari and other pets within radii - periodically letting out a roar that procs puncture further reducing damage taken

Healing: reduction in status effect duration - release of healing now also grants overshield.

4. Strangledome

Make the area a physical proc galore.

Foes take increased damage from 1/3 and 3 gains temporary increased effects whilst in the dome - Venari tearing into all foes within the area for example

Foes should take full damage from the whip and such attacks should count as attacking all within the area for the sake of the combo counter.

Thank you,

-Phyrak

1 minute ago, Xsoskeleton said:

Yeah, what makes its survivability quite better is due to Khora having good health and armor stats, making Link Health and Link Armor works great on Venari. And mods like Pack Leader and Hunter Recovery makes Khora and Attack Venari able to heal each other greatly.

True, I run those mods on my regular Kavats as well. However, once Venari dies, you effectively have no 3rd ability since you can't recall her unless you go for a dirt nap too. That's not a good execution in my eyes.

1 minute ago, Umbraxeo said:

are we also going to see buffs to venari's damage? because right now shes just kinda a tickle monster

they going to change it to slash which imo, become straight up worse against armor compared to the impact we currently have, unless the status chance are enhanced

I think we can all agree the changes sound great but Venari needs to be summon able (with a cooldown of course)at will without having to die and respawn but besides that these changes are fantastic DE. For those who ask I have seen enough about Khora to get the problem with her abilities prior to this. I say that because I'm not a PC player. 

Good night (or good day to those in different places)to everyone and MAJOR props to DE for being one of the few Game studios who still listens to its supporters.

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

• Venari is now a passive ability - Venari is simply there, no casting required. When she dies, she will be revived when you Revive (*it's very likely you'll have the opportunity to revive Venari like other companions, but in the event you miss that window it'll be gone until you revive)

Suggestion:  When Venari is downed, rather than dying she goes in to a form of stasis and to revive her you use the usual Press X but it costs either some of your energy or health to bring her out of Stasis.

Just now, (PS4)TwilightGrim said:

impact is shields, puncture is armor

Impact has no damage reduction against ferrite or alloy armor, while slash does. That's my point.
So against armor its Puncture > Impact > Slash (not counting status proc, Venari's status chance is small anyway).

2 minutes ago, Xsoskeleton said:

Impact has no damage reduction against ferrite or alloy armor, while slash does. That's my point.
So against armor its Puncture > Impact > Slash (not counting status proc, Venari's status chance is small anyway).

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0 did find interesting but overall slash may give more utility

So now changing stance costs... I thought it was fine as it functions now but... Okay...

How about no cost to change stance, but if Venari is downed she just poofs out and recasting resummons her at high cost? (Perhaps a minimum cost but consumes all available energy or causes a high drain effect hour a couple second on top of the energy cost.)

Alternatively you could do the above but keep a small cost on the stance change and add a small effect on Khora (given that her appearance changes having no effect is... Odd, especially If Venari can be downed now. Perhaps a small melee damage reflect or melee damage buff In attack, a small defense buff in protect, as a small weak regen aura on Khora too in heal.

3 hours ago, Darkvramp said:

Are we going to be able to revive her?

3 hours ago, NaiElak said:

also wondering this

From what she saying. “But in the event you miss that window it’ll be gone until you revive”

Sounds like you can but if you miss the revive window. She will be gone until you revive. Which is no different from our Kavats/kubrows now. But I could be wrong. 

The 3rd ability is the only one that really worries me. It sounds like you guys are improving Venari's AI depending on her stance, but I'm not too sure if I like the energy cost that's going with it. I feel like there needs to be more oomph into the ability, especially is Venari is a passive rather than a summon. Either the stance change should add effects to Khora's Whipclaw, or the change of stances should have some sort of effect to enemies around her or buffs to her and her allies. Khora changes her appearance based on her stance, why does Venari benefit from it but not Khora? Attack stance: aura that increases ally weapon damage or ability power. Defense stance: And aura that gives allies damage reduction or armor. Healing stance: heals allies over time within an aura.

What good is the stance change if Venari dies? Khora will be left with a literally useless ability. 

While I for the most part like these proposed changes for Khora the one I can't get behind is the changes for Venari. I for one like the ability as it is, I like being able to summon her whenever I want during the mission and if the duration runs out of she dies I like being able to summon her again at any point afterwards. If you do make her a permanent summon allow us to summon and unsummon her at will by holding 3 and allow us to switch her stances like it is now with no energy cost with the only energy cost being to summon her like it is now. To me that would be the best for everyone as it would allow those who want her out to have her and those that don't for whatever reason (Such as doing a spy mission) don't have to have her out until they want her. The idea that if Venari dies we lose her until we die and revive is one that just makes no sense to me and just sounds like a stupid idea.

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Ability casting times have been shortened across the board - Natural Talent is always great, but the base animations needed shortening.

Why has this line of thinking never graced Hydroid?

Even "insta-casting" with him still has a delay of 2 seconds between pressing the ability (1 and 4) and anything actually happening to the enemies it's directed at. Not even Vauban, the literal trapmaster frame, has to do as much pre-emptive planning and trap-laying for every encounter. 

Great change for Khora in general and almost fixed all the problems with her kit right now but why dont make her 3 toggle base? some time u want to play stealth and Venari have to die for that? that just doesnt make sense and toggle is more flexible than abusing Die/Revied mechanic *cough* count down on kavat reset *cough* and staggle doom dangling enemies is fine but too much dangling can still be hard for aiming when u want to score a Head shot instead of a bunch of body shot, why not make if the dom create at wall surface will instead stick them to the wall?

If killing the initial enemy hit by her 2 still stops the propagation, that's not going to help much. Strangledome's shape is the problem, and I hope that's what the bit at the end there is about. And even at increased speed, its stopping animations that get you killed.

But the Venari changes... no. If she's going to be a passive ability, then give us back the exalted whip. Give it a set damage type and just remove the changing spikes from her model, as they clip through everything anyway. Paying energy to tell Venari what to do when she can die like other pets is not a buff. That's not even an ability, that's a toggle button for an NPC who we might not even be able to take advantage of. Considering her passive and the speed boost from Venari, that's even worse.

If that's what you're going to do, then make Venari a unique Kavat you acquire on completing Khora's build, since that's what she is anyway, but make her equipable by any frame. Buff Khora's armor to 300 and make her passive allow her to equip Venari with a sentinel. Set Venari to only use her special attacks with Khora, or make them precepts.

Or simply remove Strangledome, give her back her whip with a set model and remove her spikes. Change Venari to slash and fix the mod interaction but leave her alone otherwise. Then make Khora's 1 and 2 one handed while using her whip. And that's coming from someone who likes Strangledome. Not having to worry about Venari since she's basically WF's Guenwhyvar isn't something to remove, especially in that way.

Archived