The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Polearms

(XBOX)BlaxkSmth24X

Question

8 answers to this question

Cassowar is a status polearm, benefiting from Condition overload, dual stat mods, Relentless Weeping combo and swinging strikes

Guandau is a crit polearm, and has the highest range of all melee weapons short of whips. it benefits from meme strike, range mods and spin 2 win strikes.

I'm one of those people who swear by Orthos Prime.  :D

Orthos and Orthos Prime are a lot of fun against crowds due to their reach and speed, also break several containers (and explosives and windows) in single strokes. They also have really good damage. To be perfectly honest, though, I also REALLY like the way Orthos looks, and use a couple of different skins on my Orthos Prime, both of which transform the blade shapes back to the symetric, lean, Orthos look.

I also use a few other melee for variety - the Scoliac whip exclusively for Nova, the Dragon Nikana, a couple of covertly lethal daggers, etc. All things being equal, I prefer the reach, speed, and damage of my Orthos Prime!

Regarding Cassowar, it seems better stat-wise maybe than my Orthos Prime, but I haven't used my blueprint yet, so I can't compare. I also liked the stats of Guando - I think either Cassowar or Guandao should be really good.

EDIT:  Regarding Pole Arm builds - Make sure to use a stance mod if only for the extra points it gives, You'll want Shimmering Blight for Cassowar, Guando, or Orthos Prime, but even wrong polarity stance mods will add to the number of points you can use. After that, you need your basic Point Strike and Jagged Edge. I use Reach and Fury, but both are optional as your speed and reach is already good for Cassowar or Orthos, use Fury for the Guandao. Next you can build for Crits, Elemental damage, or Charge ups and finishers. Guandao is best of the three for Crits. For the others use Elemental damage unless you want to do a lot of melee only charge attacks and finishers. If that's the case, then build for them and you'll appreciate the difference.

G'luck & enjoy!

Edited by Canach

Having used both in the past the guandao is better in general because crit trumps status if you're minmaxing. Otherwise build the one that looks less cool to you, as you're likely to sell that to make room for the other when it's leveled up.