The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Speed Opt Out

Jorak_Falconstar

27 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

they could remove the movement speed but give it evasion buff lowering the accuracy of enemy fire while buffing melee and reload speed. and call it motion accelerator.

I think this would be a perfect replacement.  

I kind of imagine it being like Agent Smith dodging bullets

@Thaylien My main gripe with speed is that most players have it set with so much power that you either end up running into walls constantly because of it or as it used to be and the cause of my hatred of this one ability - it used t cause some kind of desync (and still does) where you reach a door and the door doesn't open because your moving so fast the trigger to open the door doesn't register until about 3 seconds after you pass it.

2 hours ago, Jorak_Falconstar said:

it used t cause some kind of desync (and still does)

Actually, that's just the loading screen, if you think of it that way. Warframe's tile sets are put together so that, programmatically, they can temporarily un-render the ones you're not near to. If you travel across the map too fast, you reach the door and it hasn't had time to render in the next room.

You most often come across that when you're not the host of a game, and if the ping between the host and the game servers isn't quite up to par you'll usually get some kind of delay between arriving at a door and the door opening. Or if another person has already entered, you sometimes see the door open half-way, or open onto blackness that you can't enter.

Nova and now Operators are the worst for this, as Nova's max-range Wormhole can transport you across an entire tile instantly, and the Operators are often only a half second or so slower.

The problem with backflip is that speed has such a short duration, so the volt is going to spam it as fast as you can flip out of it (and flipping is slow and really messes with your movement).

There are 2 solutions.

1:  Buff the crap out of its duration.  This is the laziest fix, but it works unless the volt is a massive troll.

2:  Instead of canceling the buff, backflipping replaces it with a speed immunity buff (with no duration), which itself can be backflipped out of to cancel.  Possibly allow attack and reload speed buffs from speed to still apply while under the immunity.

9 hours ago, Callback said:

The problem with backflip is that speed has such a short duration, so the volt is going to spam it as fast as you can flip out of it (and flipping is slow and really messes with your movement).

There are 2 solutions.

1:  Buff the crap out of its duration.  This is the laziest fix, but it works unless the volt is a massive troll.

2:  Instead of canceling the buff, backflipping replaces it with a speed immunity buff (with no duration), which itself can be backflipped out of to cancel.  Possibly allow attack and reload speed buffs from speed to still apply while under the immunity.

your 2nd idea isnt bad.  espeically if this can be activated right at the start of a mission so your immune to the speed plauge for the whole mission.

Honestly i really see no need for the Speed to even be in the game any more,

17 hours ago, Jorak_Falconstar said:

My main gripe with speed is that most players have it set with so much power that you either end up running into walls constantly because of it or as it used to be and the cause of my hatred of this one ability - it used t cause some kind of desync (and still does) where you reach a door and the door doesn't open because your moving so fast the trigger to open the door doesn't register until about 3 seconds after you pass it.

This to me seems the biggest issue with Volt Speed.
Power increases are generally wanted so other powers do more damage, however this just makes the movement speed ludicrous to the point of the sprinting animations looking like a bunch of over caffeinated chipmunks.

A side effect is that if you don't like that speed as a Volt, you have to forgo damage increases to other powers so as not to have that ludicrous movement speed increase.

Ideally what is needed for Speed is a cap on how fast the running movement increase can go at maximum (or maybe even just a flat movement speed increase with it's rank), not the current continuous scaling we have now.  

55 minutes ago, Loswaith said:

This to me seems the biggest issue with Volt Speed.
Power increases are generally wanted so other powers do more damage, however this just makes the movement speed ludicrous to the point of the sprinting animations looking like a bunch of over caffeinated chipmunks.

A side effect is that if you don't like that speed as a Volt, you have to forgo damage increases to other powers so as not to have that ludicrous movement speed increase.

Ideally what is needed for Speed is a cap on how fast the running movement increase can go at maximum (or maybe even just a flat movement speed increase with it's rank), not the current continuous scaling we have now.  

dont get me wrong i completely agree with movement speed cap but parkour 2.0 rendered the movement speed buff obsolete. i for one spend more time bullet jumping than sprinting.

6 hours ago, Jorak_Falconstar said:

your 2nd idea isnt bad.  espeically if this can be activated right at the start of a mission so your immune to the speed plauge for the whole mission.

Honestly i really see no need for the Speed to even be in the game any more,

I personally do like the movement speed buff. Yes, I do bullet jump a lot, but moving faster on foot is a bonus to me. Give other players an opt-out, sure, but don't take away my speed that I cast.

I did another thread on this and we reached a very good, unintrusive solution:

1. Opt-out chat command (e.g., /nospeed) to prevent its effects on you for the duration of the mission.
  2. Toggle option in settings that enables an immunity cooldown after opting out (i.e., backflip once to ignore speed for 90s).

This way, there's no need to alter the ability and opting out is a lot less annoying for those who care.

On 25/04/2018 at 12:20 AM, Jorak_Falconstar said:

Please for the sake of those of us who hate Volt's Speed  make the opt out a roll the same a limbo's rift instead of the impossible to perform backflip.

backfips are easy ads and roll backwards

On 25/04/2018 at 12:20 AM, Jorak_Falconstar said:

And maybe rename the ability before some SJW says it encourages drug use.

dont listen to SJW types in the first place :clem: ez

Volts base duration is 10 seconds. A 10 second base duration on any ability is trash, amd cannot be fixed with modding, thats why they canged rhinos duration on roar from 10 seconds. 

Even if you dont change the trash duration, the most responsible thing to do for them is to make it an opt out and then an opt in. Back flipping out of speed one time should make it permanent until you back flip again or some other opt in metho, although backflipping again should be fine. 

This current iteration makes no sense. 

4 hours ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

I did another thread on this and we reached a very good, unintrusive solution:

1. Opt-out chat command (e.g., /nospeed) to prevent its effects on you for the duration of the mission.
  2. Toggle option in settings that enables an immunity cooldown after opting out (i.e., backflip once to ignore speed for the duration of the mission).

This way, there's no need to alter the ability and opting out is a lot less annoying for those who care.

FTFY

If you keep playing with the speed effect on you simply get used to it. Give it enough power strength and It's way faster than just parkour. If you use it a lot the game even starts to feel slow with it off.

I'm used to harnessing Volt's speed so I openly accept the buff from Volt players.

34 minutes ago, (PS4)Double991 said:

If you keep playing with the speed effect on you simply get used to it. Give it enough power strength and It's way faster than just parkour. If you use it a lot the game even starts to feel slow with it off.

I'm used to harnessing Volt's speed so I openly accept the buff from Volt players.

no. people don't have to get used to it. its the same reason people are rightfully complaining about limbo. imposing your control over how other people interact with the game shouldn't be a thing.

speed was good back when sprinting was all we had. we have parkour 2.0 now. ill never need and don't want speeds absurd movement speed buff. some of us dislike its movement speed effect and have been given an opt out.

you like speed that's good for you. you aren't everyone. if it wasn't a problem like I've said there would be no opt out. i and some others clearly have issues with it and the opt out as it is doesn't work if speed is being spammed.

Edited by EinheriarJudith

Opt-out needs a included forced cooldown with notification. You are unable to use speed effectively then your backflip prevents further speed casts from affecting for 120 seconds or so.

Still think anyone who cant make use of a good speed build needs to get gud, but you are equally entitled to play your way.

But hey i have played with volt since my first week of playing, and he was one of my first three frames after excal and octavia.

Am I missing some think? As why the hell do you think volt speed is bad. Its not that much harder to control then normal, and you can opt out of it. So either have the best reason why in the world its so bad they need to add a new complex system that everyone will have to learn about and configer, or in the nicest way posable GET GOOD AT BACK FLIPS.

35 minutes ago, fluffysnowcap said:

Am I missing some think? As why the hell do you think volt speed is bad. Its not that much harder to control then normal, and you can opt out of it. So either have the best reason why in the world its so bad they need to add a new complex system that everyone will have to learn about and configer, or in the nicest way posable GET GOOD AT BACK FLIPS.

an absurd comment as usual. how many times do people have to say "cant opt out of spam" before you understand. also as ive said parkour 2.0 made it irrelevant. you wont have to learn anything new since you wont be opting out but for us who do want to opt out we want it to work better.

1 hour ago, EinheriarJudith said:

an absurd comment as usual. how many times do people have to say "cant opt out of spam" before you understand. also as ive said parkour 2.0 made it irrelevant. you wont have to learn anything new since you wont be opting out but for us who do want to opt out we want it to work better.

Still didn't say why it's a issue, I don't see how its a issue as most votls mod for duration and about 150 power

Outside of Eidolon hunts, the only times I ever really see Volts are in capture missions where the intention of all players is most likely to speed run the mission (void fissures). If you simply backflip you can easily lose the speed buff, if you get the speed buff again because for some reason the Volt has an infinite energy pool and presses that ability every half second, you can very easily simply wait for a second for him to run out of range of you and then go on with playing your mission without having to worry about getting Speed because the Volt will be miles ahead of you forever. This really is not a problem worth looking in to for DE.

1 hour ago, Get_Singed said:

If you simply backflip you can easily lose the speed buff

1) back flipping is not simple.  for some players its down right impossible

2) Speed is spamable and and lingering behind to stay out of its range is not a viable solution because eventually someone would accuse you of leeching

3) Speed is an ability of questionable value with Parkour 2.0 as most other similar movement abilities (Excalibur's Super Jump) were removed due to it.

31 minutes ago, Jorak_Falconstar said:

1) back flipping is not simple.  for some players its down right impossible

2) Speed is spamable and and lingering behind to stay out of its range is not a viable solution because eventually someone would accuse you of leeching

3) Speed is an ability of questionable value with Parkour 2.0 as most other similar movement abilities (Excalibur's Super Jump) were removed due to it.

1) As people have said countless times, aim down sights, walk back, roll. It will perform a backflip 100% of the time unless you've performed an action that forces your character to face the direction it is walking.

2) You won't be accused of leeching. I've ACCIDENTALLY fallen behind super speedy Volts many many many times and they've never accused me of leeching, they just want to finish the mission as quickly as possible.

3) It is not a movement ability like Excal's jump, it is a flat out speed boost and is not made irrelevant or of questionable value at all with Parkour 2.0. Running at super speed is much faster than parkouring around the map.