Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sanctuary Onslaught: Difficulty Changes!

[DE]Rebecca

At this point, I've played regular onslaught more than I'd care to admit.  The reasons were focus and levelling weapons. 

My general feeling is that the game mode is the epitome of why ember was nerfed. And banshee was attempted to be nerfed. and the teloce boltace was nerfed. It is the style of game play that makes me never do public exterminates outside of fissure missions where I may suffer through it for a chance at a better reward from someone else's relic.

• There is little to no place for weapons. Even maiming strike etc is basically useless on normal in a public match with saryns, banshees, and equinoxes running around.
  • There is no place for thought - Either run in circles as equinox occasionally popping maim, stand in one place as banshee and spam 4, or cast a spore or two and do what you want to pass the time as saryn. I've run pretty much every other frame in the game just to change it up, and nope - didn't make a difference since there was always one of the aforementioned frames in there so I could run in circles hoping to maybe see an enemy or do nothing - it made no difference.
  • The rewards aren't there.  The only reason once you have Khora to set foot in Onslaught is Focus - and quite frankly, its more engaging to equinox, banshee, or ivara Adaro than this. And just as fast if not faster.  The real issue with focus is that it is something that should be able to be acquired in normal gameplay - just a thought that been requested since introduction but thats another thread.
  • Its too challenging (even normal) for the solo mid-level player.  They will need to be in a public map and will likely just stand around being bored for 20min again and again and again hoping for two things: the khora parts and to never need to do Onslaught again.  This is a big problem- because if you make it easier, you will likely only exacerbate  the first few points.

My suggestions (not necessarily to be implemented at the same time - just a few ideas)

• Get rid of efficiency.  Stay alive to make it to the next wave. No revives other than teammates picking you up or Sacrifice mod.  When you die, you are out.  Your team will continue until they die or don't go through the next portal. 
  • If you can't (read won't) get rid of efficiency - it needs to be changed. Up the efficiency gained per kill but change it up every way - 1st wave anything goes, second wave primary weapons only count, 3rd wave - melee only, headshots only etc.. People may want to kill with abilities even when it doesn't count for efficiency perhaps to get out of a bad situation or something - but the AOE power spam would hopefully stop.
  • Tell that bully Simaris to stop with the random ability block - block everything or nothing - its just punishing a few frames
  • If you want to limit how long people can stay - limit how long they can stay - hard cap the level count. Or you will always have ppl b*tching this or that is impossible and needs to be fixed because its not endless.
  • Ditch the leaderboards until you sort out the mess of sanctuary. Once its sorted, it might be clear WHAT should count toward a leaderboard. (kills, length of time survived, average kills per wave... whatever).  Right now the award should go to most kills in least distance traveled (highest kills/meter).

There have been MANY other great suggestions including things like disappearing terrain etc - unfortunately I could understand how that would be a complete rework of level design as well - but I urge you to take the suggestions (mine and all the others) to heart and not dig your feet (head?) in the ground stubbornly refusing to acknowledge the fatal flaws of the mode in its current form.

On 25/04/2018 at 8:58 PM, RaikasFire said:

Oh no, we're complaining about that too Tenno. We're teed off that they've ignored fixing those bugs and want to implement these "changes" to the game mode.

Fun fact is I said that as a joke.

All I'm reading out of this is "Please go back to Adaro if you want to farm Focus."

Because I really don't see the logic behind capping progress behind such an artificial barrier as the efficiency counter ramp up. You guys should be rewarding player commitment and durability, not punishing players who want to stay longer and farm longer.

On 2018-04-26 at 1:10 AM, [DE]Rebecca said:

But as a mode intended to offer bite-sizedarcade style” type gameplay, we are adjusting the later stages to further limit run duration: Efficiency Stimuli will no longer appear past Zone 15, and Efficiency drain reaches 10x normal rate by Zone 20, instead of capping at 6x.

Ok...

Just though of a suggestion of this "BITE-SIZE" thingy... Instead of having the level growth exceed this range in what DE state the reward table rotation of AABC, a 4 rotation in total, leading to a full proper game play reward rotation. The level range should be in all way correctly state the level of the enemy in that said mission for a full proper rotation. Meaning, for normal onslaught, zone 1 should have level 20 minimum while a cap of level 30 at zone 8, due to the reward rotation of AABC where each reward requires 2 zones. Exceeding this, then will no longer be a "BITE-SIZE" gameplay, and such will be considered endless due to the nature of an forever-never-ending growth of level, that will no longer be within the level range of the said mission.

• 2 weeks later...

The definition of bite size DE is using in this mode and the method it uses to enforce it appear to be widely considered as "not fun", "artificial", "limiting", "demotivating", "frustrating", "unrewarding"....and "cheese inducing"

If that was the intent....the game mode is a huge success. 

But if the intent was to create a mode that is actually fun to play and doesn't necessitate cheese and nuke tactics then you seriously need to revisit the mechanics and lower the efficiency drain for normal OS to sustain 2 full rotations, up the enemy spawns to actually be enough to maintain efficiency. Fix enemy pathing to prevent clumping in far off corners of the maps. And make failure depend more on skill and less on rng timers and tile sets. 

Also...I am not even a veteran...and I already have enough relics for the next 140+ hours of game play if I do nothing else but pop relics. 

Relics are needed for lower and mid level players but this insane over saturation of the relic economy just negatively impacts the trade economy in general. 

When I started I had 24 Neo Z1 relics. Now...I have 117. I have 17 scenes from rotation A, 12 scenes from B, 5 from C.  How rewarding do you think the mode actually is to play? 

I dabbled with onslaught to check it out.

Just another survival with trash mobs.

Simiaris is a con. All these elite we’ve been scanning are just the same thing.

Any new tactics? No.

Any elite mobs that have special attributes as a group? No.

In what way are players given challenges individually or as a squad?

All this to entertain a creepy AI.

Archived