Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sudden drop in FPS

b0rderp4tr0l

Fellow warframe players, hope I can get some help here.

When i first started playing wf a few weeks ago, i had consistent 60 fps (i set it to cap at 60).

However, now i am getting terrible fps in the range of 18-20. At best it goes to 40.

I have not installed anything new, nor did I change any hardware. i always run the game with nothing in the background.

My graphics settings in-game are all on the lowest ones possible (I prefer to have fps over nice graphics).

Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
RAM: 4GB
Graphics Card: AMD RADEON 520. Not the best card but it could run the game smooth as butter when I first played it on low settings.

If anyone has any idea on how to fix this issue, it would be gladly appreciated! Really want to be able to play this game but the fps issue is stopping me. Thank you

Same here. Ive been playing on my laptop since over a year now, and till yesterday everything was working fine, but today the fps are absolutelly awfull.

I got an I5 and a geforce 940mx but like I already said, my specs cant be the problem since it was working fine for over a year.... I already updated my graphic drivers, i think iam gonna try to reinstall the game.

For both cases it would be a good idea to rule out verifying / optimizing your download cache as a potential solution. This can be done by clicking on the cogwheel located at the top-right of your Warframe launcher. When you have a moment please try doing this and let us know if performance improves. Alternatively, if that doesn't help, then you might want to try disabling Nvidia PhysX Effects (in the Warframe display settings).

launcher01.png.9c939bf9f4d04e224db01bac9c45e69d.png

So i reinstalled the game, verified and optimized the cache and turned physx off. still getting 8-12 fps in the login screen and a solid 5 in my ship. Missions arent much better. I noticed that my gpu usage is on 100% regardless off the graphical settings when playing warframe now, and i can assure you that it wasnt like that before today.

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! Yes, it has been happening for the last two days with the hotfixes for the "Beasts of the Sanctuary" update and it has been putting a really bad time with the game for all the users, but mostly... it seems to be that laptops got the worse of it.

I'm running Hydron... HYDRON! And I'm going at 15fps at best! Don't let these thread die! They need to know that these last hotfixes have been screwing up all the gaming experience!

16 hours ago, b0rderp4tr0l said:
Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
RAM: 4GB

You NEED to upgrade. I'm not sure why you're trying to play, because that's going to hurt a lot. 

One thing I would suggest is turn down your resolution. It may look even worse in terms of graphics, but it will increase your fps. If it's still bad, turn it down more and don't use full screen, shrink the actual window down. I did this on my old laptop, ran at 800x400 at lowest settings and it gave me 120 fps from the usual 30fps at full screen. 

Also, unlock your fps. That can sometimes lock your gpu to a lower clock rate and you want to be using 100% power of your gpu. If you have a second screen, and you use task manager on it, you'll probably see while playing that your gpu is at lower than maybe 50% usage. This is REALLY bad. It means your cpu is being used quite heavily instead and your cpu cannot handle the game. 

4 hours ago, raschuetzer said:

So i reinstalled the game, verified and optimized the cache and turned physx off. still getting 8-12 fps in the login screen and a solid 5 in my ship. Missions arent much better. I noticed that my gpu usage is on 100% regardless off the graphical settings when playing warframe now, and i can assure you that it wasnt like that before today.

No, gpu usage at 100% is a GOOD thing because it means your gpu is being 100% used to render the game. It should technically increase performance UNLESS.... Your gpu is just really, really bad. In that case, it just doesn't have the power to render the game anymore. At this point you seriously need to upgrade rather than try play on it. There's a high change it might burn out. 

2 hours ago, Arniox said:

No, gpu usage at 100% is a GOOD thing because it means your gpu is being 100% used to render the game. It should technically increase performance UNLESS.... Your gpu is just really, really bad. In that case, it just doesn't have the power to render the game anymore. At this point you seriously need to upgrade rather than try play on it. There's a high change it might burn out. 

Arniox... I tried that same advice, lowering the graphics and even putting a low resolution, but is not working. Yes, it may a case of "I need to change my gaming gear", but still... 'till two days ago the game was going perfect, way too perfect and from one day to another it just blopped out.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Arniox:

Well yeah, it technically is, but it wasnt like that before the update. To be more specific, i got an

i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs)

Geforce940mx with 4gb of video memory

8gb RAM

This should EASILY be enaugh and since it was running fine for 1year+ it definetly was enaugh. But like Undirys said, something in the last patch went very wrong for my laptop.

Edited by raschuetzer

Thanks to the DE staff for replying. The issue seems to have been linked to an overheating GPU. it would appear my external laptop fan was not strong enough. upon application of ice, my fps has returned to normal.

Edited by b0rderp4tr0l

17 hours ago, Undirys said:

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! Yes, it has been happening for the last two days with the hotfixes for the "Beasts of the Sanctuary" update and it has been putting a really bad time with the game for all the users, but mostly... it seems to be that laptops got the worse of it.

I'm running Hydron... HYDRON! And I'm going at 15fps at best! Don't let these thread die! They need to know that these last hotfixes have been screwing up all the gaming experience!

Hydron seems to also have performance issues recently and looking the center of the map (where the objective is) makes the performance tank, it's a lot like the old issue in the void with the corridor of death which dropped frames for no reason.

I've had performance issues recently but only in the arsenal. Game is running exact same as it did before (constant 60+ fps) but in the arsenal when going to change warframe or weapons, the game stutters for a second or two before showing the selections. And choosing warframes also stutters and takes a while to load the model for the warframe.

Shouldn't be happening at all and this is definitely not an issue with my hardware. CPU and GPU temps are fine, usage is fine, the HDD my game is on is perfectly fine. Even tried reinstalling the game and changing every setting to see if it had an effect. Even on minimum settings the arsenal still stutters like this every single time you go to equip a different weapon/frame.

6 hours ago, God_is_a_Cat_Girl said:

Hydron seems to also have performance issues recently and looking the center of the map (where the objective is) makes the performance tank, it's a lot like the old issue in the void with the corridor of death which dropped frames for no reason.

Indeed, but it has been happening in ALL the maps for me... the computer is working just fine, the same with the GPU. We can only expect that DE realized this or read one of these threads, Cat.

This is insane. I literally came to this forums to make a post about the exact same thing. Glad to see im not the only one.

Before the update I was hitting 40 -50 fps on 64 bit mode lowest setting but everything in the launcher textbox checked.

Now I'm barely hitting 30 on 32 bit mode and 10 fps on 64 bit and my game keeps locking up now and again. there are brief moments where it shoots up to 60 but overall it's becoming unplayable. The second my game locks up I'm host migrated. My PC isn't even getting remotely hot! I'm also getting so much more system crashes its like feels more like im trying to play PoE on max settings then on the lowest settings i can make it. Its been like like since one of the beasts of the sanctuary hotfix was released. Also to note dynamic resolution provides no fps boost whatsoever like it used to. And i have verified and optimised this game on the launcher.

Definately going to be upvting this. I really hope DE Can investigate this. I've never had this terrible performance in the two years that i have played this game.

Regards

Edited by RunicZeus

14 minutes ago, RunicZeus said:

This is insane. I literally came to this forums to make a post about the exact same thing. Glad to see im not the only one.

Before the update I was hitting 40 -50 fps on 64 bit mode lowest setting but everything in the launcher textbox checked.

Now I'm barely hitting 30 on 32 bit mode and 10 fps on 64 bit and my game keeps locking up now and again. there are brief moments where it shoots up to 60 but overall it's becoming unplayable. The second my game locks up I'm host migrated. My PC isn't even getting remotely hot! I'm also getting so much more system crashes its like feels more like im trying to play PoE on max settings then on the lowest settings i can make it. Its been like like since one of the beasts of the sanctuary hotfix was released. Also to note dynamic resolution provides no fps boost whatsoever like it used to. And i have verified and optimised this game on the launcher.

Definately going to be upvting this. I really hope DE Can investigate this. I've never had this terrible performance in the two years that i have played this game.

Regards

Having the same problems and I just reformatted my pc so I know it’s not me

We need to keep this thread alive!

For a bare moment the game was running "okay" (¿?) but then I tried to play with my girlfriend on a Survival Mission today (the one for the Orokin Catalyst) and then all hell broke loose! It dropped to 10-15fps at best! And then after that I could not even properly play on any map.
This has been an issue for the last week during the hotfixes of BotS update that tried to patch up some things but it has broken the game to a level where many players can not enjoy it all.
I run the game on lowest settings (except on the texture memory) and it used to run fast, even on PoE but now I cannot even start to imagine what may happen if I go. And I tried putting down the texture memory down to but with no effect whatsoever.

Something must be done on this, and I hope that DE can read this thread! We need more people upvoting this and keeping it alive because we know this weekend is going to be almost hellish to try and play WF again.

I'm so glad i'm not the only one getting problems with this. I've just gotten back into WF over the past couple weeks and these lag spikes really put a damper on my hype for the game. I've tried everything; lowest quality settings, disabling V-sync, disabling GeForce PhysX, downloading the non-steam version, verify/optimize cache, disable directX 10/11, everything

Ok, so it's become worse now.

I'm now hitting only 10 - 20 fps overall. However, in the orbiter I'm around 45 everytime I load into a mission there are hitches and host migrations because of my game locking up.

Here's where it becomes weird, I loaded into 64-bit mode and I'm still hitting 20 fps, no performance drop. I raise my display settings up to medium And I'm still around that range, No drops. I go back to 32 bit and have lowest settings and max dynamic resolution and I am still hitting 20 fps! It's like the game is locked at that framerate.

Even weirder multithreaded rendering is not an option to enable anymore. Before I could enable and I did. 

I've done everything now, from optimizing Warframe to defragmenting my hard drive, deleting temp files, checking if my cores are unparked, stopping unnecessary programs and even putting Warframe on high priority.

I really hope DE can check this out because this was not like this since the last few hotfixes. I managed to get around making PoE playable but now the whole game is behaving like this and I don't want to let 2 years of this game go to waste.

Regards

Yesterday i was running the game just fine,today i started playing in the morning and when i go in to the arsenal(warframes,weapons,etc...) my fps drops from 60 to a capped 17 and it doesnt go up in any moment only goes up when i enter in to a mission, and onslaught too, yesterday i could play the mode just fine , today my fps drops to a 9 fps and runs betweent 9-20 fps, pls DE HELP.

i did the thing about Optimize in the launcher still runs bad did nothing for me.

Hi!

I think I've got to throw in my experience on the game as well.

I am also having this weird problem where the FPS just slowly drops over time. I had to go through the tutorial with 15 fps (800x516, LOW preset, no FPS cap, no VSync). I installed the game, started it up, made my account and then I got thrown into the intro cutscene of the tutorial.

I shut down the game and restarted it 5-6 times, no effect. Then I just ran through it with the lovely choppy 15 fps and shut down the game.

For some reason, I can tell if the game is bugged out straight up in the login screen: The game will run only at 15-25 fps.

================================================

Quality settings: All maxed out, all low, (with or without DX 10,11 / multicore support / 64-bit / basically every setting I can set in the launcher). No effect.

Resolution: 800x516 -> 1920x1080, no effect on FPS.

GPU utilization: (800x516, all low, 15 fps) 1-5%.

CPU utilization: 15-20% total, with two cores running a bit higher than the rest.

GPU VRAM: 1,6 GB / 8GB, nothing out of the ordinary here.

RAM: 6 GB / 16 GB

Here's the weird part: If I reboot my computer, the issue will go away for 1-2 hours AFTER the OS has booted up. But if it starts happening, nothing will fix it other than doing a reboot again. While the issue is not active, my FPS never drops below 150-200 fps.

I've gone through all the temperatures, usages and etc., but I can't figure out why the game utilizes only 1-10% of my GPU usage and 20-30% of my CPU usage.

The GPU clocks stay at the 1671 core / 5006 VRAM, CPU cores are at the 4.0GHz mark as they should be. Temperatures are in the 40-50*C range, I can run other games simultaneously on my second display and they are running fine with the excessive FPS numbers (100-300 fps) I've accustomed to.

Disabling the second display doesn't change things, neither setting my main display's refresh rate to 60Hz from 240Hz, I even tried running 800x600 desktop resolution - the FPS won't budge. Changing texture settings from max to lowest doesn't make a difference in anything else than dropping my GPU utilization to 1-2%.

There is no network traffic other than the game itself, so it's not likely to be a network issue. I tried setting my audio from 48kHz, 24bit to 44.1kHz, 16bit with no difference.

PC Specifications:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k (Stock, core temp at load around 50*C)

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Strix A-OC (Stock, gpu temps at around 50*C, fan barely starts spinning - turns on after 50*C)

RAM: 16 GB (2x 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Kingston Hyper-X Fury)

OS SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, 256 GB

Warframe HDD: Western Digital Black 7200rpm, 1TB

Display: BenQ Zowie 24", 1080p, 240Hz AND HP 21.5", 1080p, 60Hz

Nvidia Driver version: 390.65 ( Downloading 397.31 as we speak - but I don't think this is a driver issue)

Soo.... I am quite certain my hardware is fine, but I can't figure out why this is happening.

Any ideas?

Edited by SirBonaC

I saw the same issues with every person here... on the arsenal, the menus and of course all the maps. My laptop is not top quality right now, indeed is quite the potato laptop but even with that, the quality was there and I was even able to play PoE in a decent way.

I'm talking about a 2gb GPU (Nvidia GeForce 740m) which is not top at all, but does the work, and even tried to put 800x600 on the resolution going back to 1366x768 but with no results. All the effects are down (and even most of the things from the launcher too) and even like that the computer cannot hold it.
Now, yes... it may be a bad laptop, but still I could run most missions without any kind of framerate drop and was highly enjoyable, but here we are watching cases where people with high-end computers are having the same issue... and we are talking about a drop from 200/150/130 fps to 45 fps or even WORSE!

It's good to see so many people answering and putting their issues here! DE must realize that something has been borked out on the last few patches!

SirBonaC described the problem that i have pretty well.

My FPS dropped down to around 30 since yesterday, where yesterday it was fine at its 72 capped norm. Straight from the menu screen, any mission, dojo or relay. framerate is equaly bad everywhere.

Few days ago i had same issue (except FPS was at 20) that didnt go away untill i rebooted PC, even though i didnt change anything then or this time, suddenly the FPS dropped and changing setting, verifying, optimising or reinstalling does nothing.

This stated happening only after Beasts of the Sanctuary hotfixes came out.

Even more news,

So I decided to see if I got an fps increase If I changed my resolution to something less than even 800x600. I made it from fullscreen to a tiny block on my screen and this is the results.

Screenshot_666.png

As you can see I am still getting 20 on the dot. So what is capping it? 

Heres a full res pic and as you see by the fps...

Screenshot_667.png

aaaand heres how it used to perform

Screenshot_645.png

As you can see this is NOT normal.

I ask again if DE can check this out. 

Also, I've deleted the EE.cfg file but to no avail.

Regards

After a bit more of testing (which mostly consisted of launching and closing down Warframe). i found that FPS seem to steadily drop every time it re-launched, without rebooting the PC.

Every new launch would result in loss of 1-2 frames per second, untill it dropped all the way down to 8 FPS.

Looking at my GPU clock, i could see that game barely was using it, if any, as it sat at rather passive 135 MHz, untill i would login and go down into Orbiter compartments, which would result loading spike. After that GPU usage went up to 324 and FPS went back up to 14.

So, whatever is happening, Warframe seem to use less and less GPU resource every time its launched, without rebooting the PC.

On 2018. 04. 28. at 7:18 PM, SirBonaC said:

Hi!

I think I've got to throw in my experience on the game as well.

I am also having this weird problem where the FPS just slowly drops over time. I had to go through the tutorial with 15 fps (800x516, LOW preset, no FPS cap, no VSync). I installed the game, started it up, made my account and then I got thrown into the intro cutscene of the tutorial.

I shut down the game and restarted it 5-6 times, no effect. Then I just ran through it with the lovely choppy 15 fps and shut down the game.

For some reason, I can tell if the game is bugged out straight up in the login screen: The game will run only at 15-25 fps.

Quality settings: All maxed out, all low, (with or without DX 10,11 / multicore support / 64-bit / basically every setting I can set in the launcher). No effect.

Resolution: 800x516 -> 1920x1080, no effect on FPS.

GPU utilization: (800x516, all low, 15 fps) 1-5%.

CPU utilization: 15-20% total, with two cores running a bit higher than the rest.

GPU VRAM: 1,6 GB / 8GB, nothing out of the ordinary here.

RAM: 6 GB / 16 GB

Here's the weird part: If I reboot my computer, the issue will go away for 1-2 hours AFTER the OS has booted up. But if it starts happening, nothing will fix it other than doing a reboot again. While the issue is not active, my FPS never drops below 150-200 fps.

I've gone through all the temperatures, usages and etc., but I can't figure out why the game utilizes only 1-10% of my GPU usage and 20-30% of my CPU usage.

The GPU clocks stay at the 1671 core / 5006 VRAM, CPU cores are at the 4.0GHz mark as they should be. Temperatures are in the 40-50*C range, I can run other games simultaneously on my second display and they are running fine with the excessive FPS numbers (100-300 fps) I've accustomed to.

Disabling the second display doesn't change things, neither setting my main display's refresh rate to 60Hz from 240Hz, I even tried running 800x600 desktop resolution - the FPS won't budge. Changing texture settings from max to lowest doesn't make a difference in anything else than dropping my GPU utilization to 1-2%.

There is no network traffic other than the game itself, so it's not likely to be a network issue. I tried setting my audio from 48kHz, 24bit to 44.1kHz, 16bit with no difference.

PC Specifications:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k (Stock, core temp at load around 50*C)

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Strix A-OC (Stock, gpu temps at around 50*C, fan barely starts spinning - turns on after 50*C)

RAM: 16 GB (2x 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Kingston Hyper-X Fury)

OS SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, 256 GB

Warframe HDD: Western Digital Black 7200rpm, 1TB

Display: BenQ Zowie 24", 1080p, 240Hz AND HP 21.5", 1080p, 60Hz

Nvidia Driver version: 390.65 ( Downloading 397.31 as we speak - but I don't think this is a driver issue)

Soo.... I am quite certain my hardware is fine, but I can't figure out why this is happening.

Any ideas?

Same problem as u if i log into the game first time im getting 350fps in the ship i run some missions i have like 150-80fps and slowly goes down to a unplayable fps like im getting 17 fps come on i tried everything turned down the graphics to lowest and still getting 17 fps the only solution i found reboot the whole computer and its annoying as hell.

Specs: I5 6600k 16gb ram 3000mhz Gtx 1060 3gb