Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ongoing Sanctuary Onslaught Recalibration

[DE]Connor

Thank you DE, this is definitely a great stride in the right direction :D

I especially appreciate this:

2 hours ago, [DE]Connor said:

-Ongoing improvements! Once Onslaught’s core functionality has been nailed down, we have several ideas on how to spice things up

Plus, an added bonus: since Focus gain is an important aspect to this mode, we’re increasing the daily Focus cap! In addition to the base limit of 250,000, players will have an additional 5,000 cap room for each Mastery Rank they’ve achieved. This means an MR20 player will now have a total cap of 350,000.

This is amazing thank you.

Yeah, I was in a really sour mood yesterday, but I give credit where credit is due. These changes look pretty good.

One thing regarding the different tiles. It currently feels like your net efficiency gain/loss per zone depends not only on the tile but also the faction. I don't know if all factions get the same spawns within any given tile, or if grinner for example have different spawn points/rates than infested. But maybe the tougher and rarer enemies could give more efficiency per kill? You know, to such a degree that if I manage to get to zone 14 in a week where the last three zones are infested, I'll also get to zone 14+-1 in the next week where the last three zones are grineer.

-Enemy level increases at high levels! In Elite Onslaught, enemies will now scale up to level 280 by Zone 25, instead of being capped at 180. We still see Onslaught as a more bite-sized gameplay experience, but combined with the efficiency changes above, how far your team can last should be dictated slightly more by your ability to kill instead of hard numeric limits.

I seriously appreciate this change right here. I think it should still scale a lot more aggresively to match pace with survivals and other endless mode but that's definitely a good start and I'm quite thankful for thatr. If you just straight up don't want to implement that into Elite may I suggest some kind of hardcore mode or something that scales more aggresively still and without a level cap. Level 280 is still pretty low level from an endurance run perspective.

3 hours ago, [DE]Connor said:

Hail Tenno!

Simaris is not done calibrating. For those keeping score, Sanctuary Onslaught has been live on public for almost a week. Thanks to everyone for your patience while we work through several unexpected kinks!

The biggest issue we had to overcome was a nasty case of “bad scaling-itis” - perhaps a cruel trick from Simaris. Read more details about that situation here:

(we'll talk about this more later).

Simaris’ recalibrations of the mode have come fast and frequent, so we wanted to share some of our (his) plans for Onslaught going forward. And remember, everything here is subject to further change, as we do plan on adjusting this mode frequently for the foreseeable future!

-More Efficiency tweaks! We are undoing the passive Efficiency drain increase that was added yesterday. Instead of 10x drain, the max drain will be 6x in both modes, just like it was at release. Furthermore, the Efficiency drain at the start of regular Onslaught has been reduced, allowing players to reach wave 8 more easily.

-Enemy level increases at high levels! In Elite Onslaught, enemies will now scale up to level 280 by Zone 25, instead of being capped at 180. We still see Onslaught as a more bite-sized gameplay experience, but combined with the efficiency changes above, how far your team can last should be dictated slightly more by your ability to kill instead of hard numeric limits.

-Spawn flow fixes! We’re aware that every tile is not created equal, and will be watching for community complaints regarding a lack of enemies. The issue needs to be fixed manually by our level designers for each tile, so thanks for bearing with us as we continue tackling this issue over time. (friendly reminder: screenshots taken using F6 will contain “metadata” that helps our programmers identify the tile in question - please use for all forum bug reports!)

-Ongoing improvements! Once Onslaught’s core functionality has been nailed down, we have several ideas on how to spice things up. The random environmental hazards we added yesterday are a good example of this. Warframe is no stranger to “live changes”, so hopefully this comes as no surprise to long-time players!

Plus, an added bonus: since Focus gain is an important aspect to this mode, we’re increasing the daily Focus cap! In addition to the base limit of 250,000, players will have an additional 5,000 cap room for each Mastery Rank they’ve achieved. This means an MR20 player will now have a total cap of 350,000.

One final comment about enemy scaling - this game mode won't be the place where we tackle that. Apologies if anyone felt this was a secret experiment for enemy scaling. We would have told you in advance if that was the case. Whether or not you loved the easier enemies, it is simply not part of this and we have a lot of issues to solve before we can even begin that path.

We apologize for any undue stress the process of making changes causes - the host migration bugs are frustrating, and the changes sometimes not quick enough or too confusing, but we are still working on things!

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the update Conner! Look forward to the changes. 😊

I think its good that attention is being directed into making the mode more accessible; its just common sense after all, but I wonder if Onslaught is not supposed to be a survival variant as a few are stating perhaps it should be changed to reflect that. What are we trying to accomplish with Onslaught? Smash TV or a survival where life support eats up faster and faster without air supply towers? If its a Smash TV type mode, consider trying out normal mode with a removal of efficiency and instead making each Zone have a limit of enemies that need to get killed in a given set time limit for the portal to open and killing enough enemies gives the remainder of the Zone Time to the next Zone. Now Smash TV had set map limits, and entering different pathways or picking up different power-ups allowed going to treasure rooms, or fighting bosses, or penalty rooms - this could be something to consider once the Migrations are under control again versus now of course.

Why not just remove the enemy level cap completely? I'm sure at some point that people are going to make it well past those waves once all of the tweaking is finished.

Any word on increasing the amount of efficiency given by enemies in Elite? 0.1% per enemy seems a bit much (this is what it felt like after launch)

2 hours ago, Hayde615 said:

The issue I think revolves around the core gameplay of onslaught and its current efficiency issue (which they are looking into). When the idea of progressing into the next portal requires you to kill as many enemies as humanly possible--and this becomes much of an issue as it progresses, you're effectively "forced" to use a frame that revolves around their ult or some other ability that's effective like Saryn's spore. So people in generally will likely call "nerf, nerf, nerf" to frame abilities...but all that really does is ruin the niche of the frame, and not fix the efficiency part in general.

Agreed. What they really need to do is balance Efficiency drain vs. spawn rates such that you can kill enough to progress using conventional means, and implement special bonuses/incentives (perhaps to the Focus duration) for maintaining higher efficiency.

2 hours ago, Hayde615 said:

I don't have a good solution to be honest, not different than what's already been posted. If it's not ability-based warframe spamming, it's something like an Amprex or Maiming Strike spam. I think the core mechanic of Onslaught should be how well you can survive, on top of how well you can kill, not just simply, "Can I annihilate every enemy on the map in 1 cast?" We just have to be careful about shifting the meta to another set of frames; I don't think we'll ever in be in a position where every frame is viable, simply because every frame does something a little different. 

Again, agreed.

2 hours ago, kylooooren said:

There is a game mode that works that way, I can't quite recall its name.

Survival actually requires players to maintain a degree of killing efficiency, just like Onslaught. The only difference is that Onslaught eschews the Life Support drops and towers in favor of randomly spawned limited pickups, which changes the 'Frame meta from "can generate extra drops" to "can generate extra kills." That's it.

It's an analogue, not a substitute.

3 hours ago, [DE]Connor said:

250,000, players will have an additional 5,000 cap room for each Mastery Rank they’ve achieved. This means an MR20 player will now have a total cap of 350,000

Oh this is an awesome change. Thank you so much. As a Mr 25 player, I'll have 375,000 cap a day :P

Once these updates are implemented, and if this makes onslaught elite the mode it should have been, is there going to be compensation for players that have lost loads of time and an uncountable amount of rewards due to crashes, host migration issues and poor efficiency handling?

i''ve already read numerous complaints of players having lost all vandal parts or all khora blueprints due to one of the above issues and have completely given up on trying to get her but are unwilling to buy her due to her poor current state(would like to see if DE's able to improve her in a way to make her interesting), so how are devs going to compensate for all this trouble, if at all.

I think we could do with an extra level/difficulty increase for NPCs, they're just too easy to one shot overall.

Problematic tiles: the kuva fortress ones. Spawns are too scarce like in current zone 6. Also, the derelict in zone 12 really has too few spawns. It's also probably too small overall.

(Here is a chinese player,my english is not well)

Thanks for addressing these issues

I always think Sanctuary Onslaught  is very intresting mode.because it can let our player Quick experience more than the lv 155 enemy。

If u want to challenge above area 10.u need to think how we make u and u teammate  warframe and weapom.

(Just RPG GAME,u need 2DPS 1Sup 1Control?Or3 DPS 1 Sup?Or 4 DPS?What is the best sup?Trinity?Obreon?Harrow?。。。。)

It let our player will come to think that question.

Finally,i think Sanctuary Onslaught is good .I hope the follow-up can add more difficult mode.In order to reflect the teamwork between players。Instead of all people holding melee weapons just like “Warriors Orochi”。

Can you improve above the area 8  Vandal’s probability?

(Ok,now I think learning English is necessary)So as to encourage players to challenge the interests of high area?

非常感谢你们的工作,也非常感谢你们能够为我们带来怎么棒的游戏。

我由始至终认为精英圣殿是一个非常好的模式,因为它可以让我们玩家快速体验到等级150级以上的怪物(尽管是弱化版)

但这也是一次非常好的体验。

因为如果你想要挑战区域10以上,这就意味着你需要思考你和你的队友的战甲配置。(就像RPG游戏一样,你需要思考队伍内战甲的安排,两个输出一个辅助一个控制?还是三个输出一个辅助?还是暴力的四个输出?辅助战甲我们又需要什么?是主2技能 回复能量的Trinity?还是主4技能为队伍提供减少伤害的Trinity?还是控制辅助兼得的Obroen?。。。)

我认为高难度会让我们玩家开始思考更多的问题,进而去开放更多的思路。

最后,再次感谢你们为我们带来怎么一次有趣的模式。同时也希望后续能够添加更多的高难度游戏模式,这样才不会让我们玩家永远都是手持近战武器像在玩“无双系列”割草游戏。

另外能否提升区域8以上破坏者部件的概率,从而来鼓励玩家挑战高区域的兴趣?

Archived