Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts on Fortuna (and the upcoming Venus "open world" node

MirageKnight

I must say, based on what was revealed on the Devstream today, the town hub (Edit: now officially called Fortuna) for the Venus "open world" node has a fantastic "Blade Runner" ambiance and vibe to it.

Great use of neons, lighting, and smoke / fog, I think it's about perfect. The architecture is absolutely spot on - Corpus-styling but suitably and reasonably "worn in" for an industrial town. That being said, I hope they make use of the town's more vertical layout, with some accessible / "usable" areas and vendors being on upper levels.

A suggestion for the devs: I know it's still WIP, but maybe throw in some water dripping from the coolant pipes? For NPC's, maybe have some workers performing maintenance and repairs and operating some equipment?

The other thing is the vendors. We'll obviously have a vendor that sells customized, modular ranged weapons (Edit: revealed to be Kitguns), but there has to be more than just that. Perhaps a vendor that rents out vehicles for roving around outside? Another that deals with ores and such found on the surface (probably obvious)? Someone that sells Warframe / Operator augments and apparel (again, more than likely)?

Update: Customized pet MOAs will be a thing and we'll have a vendor similar to the fisher from Cetus that deals with Orokin robotic terraformers and the gear that can be used to get them.

Also, on a related note, I wonder what kind enemies and wildlife (if any) we'll encounter outside the town itself? The various Corpus spider-bots that have been showcased in other devstreams are probably a given, but I have the feeling that it can't be limited to just that. Perhaps we'll see some Corpus "enforcers" or guards...and maybe even a giant Sentient. I'm sure one of the Corpus Board of Directors would love to try and get their greedy mitts on that level of tech in the name of profit grofit.

Update: So it seems we're definitely dealing with the usual Corpus grunts and their Drones / MOA's as well as the various Spider-droids - and apparently Nef Anyo,

To add to the discussion, official gameplay footage is linked.

So the things we do know about the Hub itself:

KITGUNS

Kitguns will be customisable secondary weapons comprised of three secions or modules; a Chamber, a Grip, and a Loader with a few options of each to choose from.

• Chambers seem to determine what type of damage the weapon will do, base magazine size, the weapon's accuracy, and the trigger-type. Shown were what appear to be a flame/chem-thrower chamber, a possible ray projector chamber, a projectile chamber that seems to do Blast, Impact and Puncture, and another projectile thrower that does Puncture and Slash.
  • Grips seems to determine rate of fire, amount of damage, and also minimum range for Kitguns that fire beams.
  • Loaders seems to determine reload speed and critical and status for the weapon.

The vendor is Rude Zuud.

MOA COMPANIONS

MOA Companions will be comprised of three sections or modules; a base Model, a Core, and a Gear.

• The Model determines what precepts the MOA will come with. At least one will have a Tractor Beam and be able to Hack consoles and such. There were 3 Model types, two were centered around utility, offense and I'm guessing the last was defensively-oriented.
  • The Core didn't seem to have any useful description, but I'd surmise that it determines HP and Shields.
  • The Gear component gives the MOA an additional ability. Shown was a Gear module with a Grappling Hook, another gave the MOA a charged, burst fire beam weapon that does Heat damage, and another was a Electrical-based stun weapon that fires every 3 seconds.

The vendor is Boon.

Edited by MirageKnight
Updated based on Tennocon 2018 reveal

I do agree with you about the ascetics although it isn't just Blade Runner that's in my mind, it's cyberpunk in general but oh man I really hope that this combined with the additions of more open worlds and the fact that they are making more vehicles will give DE the excuse to create a motorcycle themed Warframe. To me, no cyberpunk themed media is complete without anything motorcycle related.

3 minutes ago, Xrkr said:

There should also be that shady guy in an alley that sells *cough* consumables.

Like "stim packs"?

12 minutes ago, IronWolfKnight said:

I do agree with you about the ascetics although it isn't just Blade Runner that's in my mind, it's cyberpunk in general

Agreed, but watching the "trailer" and the devstream, it really reminded me of Blade Runner.

6 minutes ago, kyori said:

So hopefully you won't get stuck in that lift going up to the surface.

Don't jinx it. Please.

16 minutes ago, kyori said:

I remember many praise PoE when they saw the teaser, only to bash it when they got stuck in between the gates.

Bet ya they're using it to implement the normal Mission Load style instead of Cetus's Gate one.

Team groups in, head off, fade to black, fade back into elevator and Warframe standing inside, fade to white, Elevator on the surface. Same thing as normal missions, but with Elevator Load Screen instead of ship one. X'D

3 hours ago, Tangent-Valley said:

Bet ya they're using it to implement the normal Mission Load style instead of Cetus's Gate one.

Team groups in, head off, fade to black, fade back into elevator and Warframe standing inside, fade to white, Elevator on the surface. Same thing as normal missions, but with Elevator Load Screen instead of ship one. X'D

Well would definitely be more tried and true.  Safer if that was the route they are choosing.

5 hours ago, kyori said:

I remember many praise PoE when they saw the teaser, only to bash it when they got stuck in between the gates.

I'm more afraid of falling through the lift...

There should also be that shady guy in an alley that sells *cough* consumables.

I want a Warframe version of THIS guy in every Town, Relay, & Open World *ahem* Landscape Map!

Image result for re4 merchant gif

We can name him...Darv...hmm...Bar....hmm...
"Far'Voh"

He'll have: "Merchandise" for sale...

Edited by (PS4)Zero_029

I was thinking...in terms of enemies we might see outside of the town, those Corpus Spider-bots are a given. However, not too long ago a number of Corpus helmet variations were show on a dev stream. I think it's reasonable to conclude that we'll probably encounter some special Corpus troops outside the town, similar in vein to the various Grineer Tusk troops we see out in the Plains on Earth.

That being said, we might (hopefully) see new Corpus weapons introduced to the game, in addition to the modular ranged weapons that will be sold in the town.

With regard to the modular weapons, what would you all like to see done with that? I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'd like to see players be able to have their weapons taken apart and the components reused IF the weapon hasn't been gilded yet (because you know gilding WILL be a thing). In addition, we should be able to sell off components we don't want or need anymore, instead of having them clog up our inventory until we find a use for them.

Corpus are fighting for benefit. If there are something that can gain their benefit in there. We maybe fighting Corpus. Else, we maybe facing something even Corpus don't want to deal with, and we as a Tenno. Have to move in and 'Balance' those power.

19 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

I must say, based on what was revealed on the Devstream today, the town hub for the Venus "open world" node has a fantastic"Blade Runner" ambiance and vibe to it.

Great use of neons, lighting, and smoke / fog, I think it's about perfect. The architecture is absolutely spot on - Corpus-styling but suitably and reasonably "worn in" for an industrial town. That being said, I hope they make use of the town's more vertical layout, with some accessible / "usable" areas and vendors being on upper levels.

A suggestion for the devs: I know it's still WIP, but maybe throw in some water dripping from the coolant pipes? For NPC's, maybe have some workers performing maintenance and repairs and operating some equipment?

The other thing is the vendors. We'll obviously have a vendor that sells customized, modular ranged weapons, but there has to be more than just that. Perhaps a vendor that rents out vehicles for roving around outside? Another that deals with ores and such found on the surface (probably obvious)? Someone that sells Warframe / Operator augments and apparel (again, more than likely)?

Also, on a related note, I wonder what kind enemies and wildlife (if any) we'll encounter outside the town itself? The various Corpus spider-bots that have been showcased in other devstreams are probably a given, but I have the feeling that it can't be limited to just that. Perhaps we'll see some Corpus "enforcers" or guards...and maybe even a giant Sentient. I'm sure one of the Corpus Board of Directors would love to try and get their greedy mitts on that level of tech in the name of profit grofit.

Anyway - feel free to discuss!

Desperately pushing aside my urge to rant about all the concepts I've cooked up as what-ifs for Venus (flying sky drone personal platforms and titanic saurian harvesting proxies among them) , I've gotta ask, could you direct me to where they mention the modular ranged weapons area? I haven't heard actual confirmation of that myself.

I can't recall off-hand where it was talked about, but the store itself can be seen in the sneak preview trailer (it's off to the right) and in the last devstream (#110) where Reb does the short walkthrough to show off the architecture and lighting. Again, it's off to the right of where you start off. The store is identified by a long sign over the entrance that has black silhouettes of guns on an pale yellow background.

bzNIROQ.png&key=4249e9468e20c445e8a8bd8c

Judging by the silhouettes, there's an interchangeability of parts, with different barrel and trigger group assemblies being visible. There's probably a third component that deals with shoulder stock and - perhaps - sighting options.

Edited by MirageKnight

4 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

I can't recall off-hand where it was talked about, but the store itself can be seen in the sneak preview trailer (it's off to the right) and in the last devstream (#110) where Reb does the short walkthrough to show off the architecture and lighting. Again, it's off to the right of where you start off. The store is identified by a long sign over the entrance that has black silhouettes of guns on an pale yellow background.

bzNIROQ.png&key=4249e9468e20c445e8a8bd8c

Judging by the silhouettes, there's an interchangeability of parts, with different barrel and trigger group assemblies being visible. There's probably a third component that deals with shoulder stock and - perhaps - sighting options.

OH! My apologies, I didn't know you answered without the quote option, slipped me mind.

Are we sure those are guns though? The case can indeed be made given I see several components such as a seemingly Supra-esque body and what MIGHT be a barrel, but. . . they also look a lot like Corpus space-vessels as well.

46 minutes ago, Unus said:

OH! My apologies, I didn't know you answered without the quote option, slipped me mind.

Quite alright!

Are we sure those are guns though?

We're pretty sure.

they also look a lot like Corpus space-vessels as well.

Good point...but a used space ship dealer? I dunno...

"Great deal on this modular, inter-system load-lifter! Only ONE captain and LOW mileage! 500 metric ton cargo capacity, working environmental systems...."

2 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

Quite alright!

We're pretty sure.

Good point...but a used space ship dealer? I dunno...

"Great deal on this modular, inter-system load-lifter! Only ONE captain and LOW mileage! 500 metric ton cargo capacity, working environmental systems...."

PHEW, good, good.

Can't tell if my scepticism is being unhealthy or not, but, eh, I get it. Can still keep my fingers quietly crossed.

"CRAZY EARLS DEALER-SHIP! BUY ONE SHIP!" (Dramatic flash to sparkling vessel) "GET HALF OF ONE FREE!" ( Mad laughter and sound of metal saw cutting.) (Panover to the still sparking hulk of a Liset neatly split down the middle.) (A gnarled hand comes into the frame off-screen and does the "ok" hand sign.) "CRAZY EARL'S DEALER-SHIP! COME FIND US!" (sound of saw reving and more mad laughter) "BEFORE WE FIND YOU!" (Wilhelm Scream followed by meaty splat sound).

PHEW, had to and stir me up with that last bit, eh sir? Though, in actuality, having a modular Liset system could be fun in it's own way, though I'm most certainly not sure that is it either.

Edited by Unus

3 hours ago, CriticalFumble said:

. . . You do realize what has to happen if we get sewers in this game, right?  

A quest where we get a rusty knife and have to go kill 15 rats.  

Gawd, it's "a sheev" and "15 kuakas", get it right rookie!

Edited by Unus

10 hours ago, Unus said:

Gawd, it's "a sheev"

I think the rusty knife would take exception to that comparison...

10 hours ago, Unus said:

"15 kuakas"

That got me thinking....what kind of animal / plant life might we see on Venus, seeing as they're possibly redoing the ground tilesets for Venus as a whole?

Any life would obviously have been transplanted from Earth and evolved / adapted to deal with Venus' unique conditions. There's been some art shown of some large fungal growths shown, but it would be interesting to see animals / insects feeding on them.

Large space roaches maybe? 

14 hours ago, CriticalFumble said:

You do realize what has to happen if we get sewers in this game, right?  

Alligators? Rodents Of Unusual Size?

On 4/28/2018 at 5:17 AM, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

I'm more afraid of falling through the lift...

I want a Warframe version of THIS guy in every Town, Relay, & Open World *ahem* Landscape Map!

Image result for re4 merchant gif

We can name him...Darv...hmm...Bar....hmm...
"Far'Voh"

He'll have: "Merchandise" for sale...

Memories...

Need to play this masterpiece again at some point.

On 4/29/2018 at 3:09 PM, MirageKnight said:

I think the rusty knife would take exception to that comparison...

That got me thinking....what kind of animal / plant life might we see on Venus, seeing as they're possibly redoing the ground tilesets for Venus as a whole?

Any life would obviously have been transplanted from Earth and evolved / adapted to deal with Venus' unique conditions. There's been some art shown of some large fungal growths shown, but it would be interesting to see animals / insects feeding on them.

Large space roaches maybe? 

Alligators? Rodents Of Unusual Size?

Heh, so I'm not the only one with "feelings" about the unbalanced lump of steel, heh.

Hm. . . in all my mental portrayals of Venus based on what they've shown us conceptwise, I always had Venus pegged as an extremely early-to-mid frosty Carboniferous world. Massive treelike fungus, boreal spatters of tree-analogues, yet not a single speck of engineered life on land save for whatever vermin or "dumped pets" got off the ships. The Corpus would fill the void with their own animalistic proxies that process fungi into fuel and grind the stone down for ore, watched by predatory killing machines ready for the next raid.

Entertaining the thought. . . hmmm. . . given the fungal biosphere, there are several areas they could explore. Massed swarms of transgenic antoids who farm the fungi in giant colonies. Humungus gastropdian entities that slowly graze through the undergrowth, perhaps hideing in their shells and being swept in volcanic eruptions when they occur before assumeing their search for food. Ell, perhaps colonies of apelike transgenics could live upon and within the fungal masses, former sources of entertainment now gone feral, yet still able to slide open a door and nick a synthetic coffee cup or two.

Edited by Unus